Cloth Diapering

Buying used cloth diapers

Should I use bleach to "sterilize" new-to-me but previously used diapers? Is there another method to sanitize or sterilize or is it ok to just wash as I normally would and use for my son? Any thoughts would help me get started!

Re: Buying used cloth diapers

• I think answers will vary. I've always just washed like normal (maybe a few extra times if there was a lot of fragrance or something) and then used. But maybe I'm gross.
    Mama to a little girl born July 2011 and a little boy born April 2014! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I had a bad experience with ammonia after buying used diapers so now I always do a hot water strip
    Married 6/18/11
    BFP #1 10/26/12 DS born 6/30/13
    BFP #2 10/30/13 MC 11/25/13
    BFP #3 1/18/14 DS #2 born 10/7/14
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    image   Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• Loading the player...
  • I've only bought a handful used, but I always do a full hot water strip.
  • I did a hot water strip. My son ended up with a yeast rash shortly after. I don't know if the used diapers caused it. I now use bleach if the diapers can handle it along with hot water strip and TTO and GSE.
    Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
    Parent of Baby Boy M, born December 2013 Angels: Miscarriage @ 9 weeks, May 2015, Chemical Pregnancy November 2015

Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • Crazy question, do you use colour safe bleach if your getting AIOs? My DHs coworker has offered to give us some of her stash (or all?) that she doesn't need/want. Curious about this bc I'm new to cloth diapering.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I just use regular diluted bleach.  It won't hurt your PUL.  The only thing you have to be careful about is things with cotton prints (wetbags, fitted, etc) because they might fade

That was my worry. Maybe then just using a colour safe option is best so that they don't fade. Thanks :)

Pregnancy Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"