November 2013 Moms
Options

IUD

I'm getting mine tomorrow. To the other ladies who've had it done, what should I know? Take ibuprofen ahead of time? How long/bad did you cramp after?

Re: IUD

• Options
    Definitely take some Advil.  I cramped pretty much the rest of the day...

I had the paraguard... which one are you getting?
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Definitely take ibuprofen before. With my first one I just cramped a little and spotted for about 3 weeks. With the second one I only cramped and spotted for a couple days but the cramps were a little more intense. Also when they are placing it make sure you take deep breathes like your labor breathing. I started cramping as soon as they opened my cervix and it was uncomfortable but the breathing helped. I would bring a light pad too just in case you start to bleed a little.

Good luck! It really isn't too bad, just a little uncomfortable
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I'm getting a Mirena. I'm planning to work the rest of the day so I hope it's not too terrible.

• Options
    AlisonM12AlisonM12 member
    edited February 2014

I just came back to work after getting my Paragard put in. The cramping was pretty bad while it was being put in but now (an hour later) I have no cramping. I took ibuprofin an hour before I went in. Like pp said, bring a panitliner, you will probably spot or at least have iodine leakage afterwards (my OB gave me a pantiliner). Also, I was warned that when I get my period again for a few months I might have worse cramping than before and to just take Motrin for it and it will get better. After that my periods will be the same as before the IUD (Paragard is nonhormal).

GL!

ETA: I can't type and eat

• Options
    I got mine on Monday. It didn't really hurt getting it put in, but I did cramp pretty bad for the rest of the day. I took some advil to help dull it. By the next morning I was completely fine. 
  • Options
    I got mine placed about a month ago (Mirena). I spotted for a few days and cramped but it just felt like normal period cramps. Took 800mg of Ibu in the morning as recommended by my doc, but it wasn't bad going in at all. 

Just a heads up, too, I got my first PP period about a week after it was placed and the exact same thing happened to a friend of mine. (I wasn't expecting that since I am EBF.) So be prepared for that if you haven't restarted it yet.

• Options
    I also have the Mirena. Definitely take some ibuprofen before you go in. I had cramping and spotting too. My cramping lasted two days or so. It was put in almost a month ago and I have had spotting but haven yet to get my first PP period.
  • Options
    I just got mine removed. I bled very heavy for a month straight after. I couldn't take it, plus we are going to start ttc soon. On the up side I had zero pain or cramping, so who knows! Good luck!
  • Options
    For those following, my IUD procedure was a piece of cake this morning. I've definitely had worse Pap smears. Hope the adjustment period goes just as well!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"