September 2012 Moms
Options

Homeowner Question

DH owns a tree service. We've been in business for almost 3 years now. Business has gotten better and better each year. 75% of our business comes from word of mouth, but I am looking at better ways to advertise.

My question to all of you - if you wanted to get some tree work done at your house, where would you look to find someone?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Homeowner Question

• Options
    If we didn't have a referral from friends I think we'd go to craigslist first. 
    (Formerly MamaBearKendy)
  • Options
    Yelp. You can't really use it to advertise, but if you have satisfied customers, you can encourage them to leave a good review.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    We have gotten work done on our trees. The first time I used Google and picked the biggest/best in town. But after a huge storm we had a tree branch fall on our roof and someone actually drove through the neighborhood and was giving estimates on the spot to people with damage. I thought that was a genius idea. We have also had companies leave ads at our door.

Emilia Antoinette
    10.03.12 at 41w5d Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I google/ facebook everything first and then if google and facebook have no answers I go to the yellow pages online.

tryingtogrowareddenfamily.blogspot.com

lifeofadialysiswife.blogspot.com

• Options
    Angie's List. hands down.

Does he have reviews on there yet? Make sure you 'own' the business with them.  If you can run deals through that, definitely do so.
    A commercial yesterday for Angies List is what really got me thinking. Thank you for this info - I will look into it further.

• Options
    Unem said:
    We have gotten work done on our trees. The first time I used Google and picked the biggest/best in town. But after a huge storm we had a tree branch fall on our roof and someone actually drove through the neighborhood and was giving estimates on the spot to people with damage. I thought that was a genius idea. We have also had companies leave ads at our door.

He does this sometimes, those are jokingly called "storm chasers".

It's just hard to compete with the folks that have a truck and a trailer and will work for dirt cheap. We are fully licensed and insured, which makes our prices higher. Many people do not understand what all is involved. They think we can sell the wood or the chips, but that is not the case. We have to have a special permit to haul the chips in the chipper truck, and pay by the pound to dump.

• Options
    I'd see if you can get some customers to post Google+ reviews.  I just had my carpets cleaned (not the same thing, I realize) and the company was offering a 5% bonus to the employee who cleaned them any time a customer gave a positive google+ review.
  • Options
    I search Angie's List first, then Google reviews. I agree with Cheese to make sure the buzzwords that get picked up in searches are there. Make a FB page. Also, if a company doesn't have a website, I am most likely not going to contact them. I look for a way to email rather than call so I don't forget to ask anything specific.

Kid #1 - 09/03/12
    Kid #2 - maybe???
    Diagnosed with Severe Ashermans 
    Hysteroscopy #10 - scar tissue grew back reblocking my right tube
    #11 or IVF with scarring still inside?
    1 lone embryo from September 2016 retreival, dx with Trisomy 16, starting fresh
  • Options
    Home Shows, Angie's List, Craigslist, Google Search. Probably in that order. We have a lot of home shows in this area and we really like to talk to service providers in person and they often offer discounts if you set up a free home estimate while you are at the show.

• Options
    I ask our neighbors or on my local FB group. When I get a FB recommendation I always check for a website and any online reviews before contacting them.

I promise to call you guys first if we ever need tree help! But if I didn't know you or if we live too far for you, I would ask the guy that cuts our yard for a recommendation. So perhaps look to lawn services to partner with you, maybe offer them a referral fee.

James Sawyer 12.3.10
    Leo Richard 9.20.12 

• Options
    hmp1 said:
    I ask our neighbors or on my local FB group. When I get a FB recommendation I always check for a website and any online reviews before contacting them.

I promise to call you guys first if we ever need tree help! But if I didn't know you or if we live too far for you, I would ask the guy that cuts our yard for a recommendation. So perhaps look to lawn services to partner with you, maybe offer them a referral fee.

Yes, we've partnered with several lawn services and that has been WONDERFUL. Business is good for us, but I want to make sure that our name is out there and that we appear reputable when people search.

Thank you for all of the feedback, this is a huge help!

• Options
    Angie's list, recs from friends.  It's always nice to have someone who has done work for us personally say or leave a pamphlet that says -

If you are happy with our work, we would be very grateful for a review on Angie's List (pick one) since our business is word of mouth.  If you are not happy with anything, please call me personally - we want all of our customers to be happy.

Anyway, sometimes it's nice to be reminded to leave a review, that you're helping a small business.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

http://global.thebump.com/tickers/tickerticker.aspx?&TT=exp&TT1=exp&CL=40&CT=W&CG=F&O=m_baby1&T=t_e20&D=20140508&M1=&D1=20150212&T2=ahhhhhhhhhh!&T1=&T3=&CC=0&CO=&CO2=&W=&TS=&R=&SC=green
  • Options
    I normally ask FIL first.  I've never had to go any further haha.  I also have a wide variety of customers at work so I know someone who does something. 

If I didn't have these resources? Fb group then maybe angie's list.  I've never used it for anything.  
  • Options
    I haven't read others responses, but do you have a party store in your neighborhood?  (corner store)  Reason I ask is because I just went to our corner store and noticed there is a bulletin board with business cards attached to it.  Many of them were tree service, electricians, and stuff. 
    Dexter 08/31/2012~Summer 07/25/2011~Jack 10/21/2008~Aaron 08/12/2007
  • Options
    Insurance referral. Have you tried visiting insurance companies to let them know of the services you offer? Teaming up with other contractors has been a key to our business.  Maybe hooking up with a cable company, roofing, etc.  Currently DH invests tons of money in phone book ads. We are trying to get away from them, but so many customers have stated they found our ad in the phonebook.  

• Options
    I'd love to talk to you sometime @kdsmith43 ! My husband is working toward his arborist cert right now and wants to start his own tree care company. :)  When we were looking for tree care, we went to home & garden shows, yelp, and google.  Most vendors we've spoken with at home shows say they bring them a ton of business.  Also, reviews are priceless.  Maybe you could give repeat customers an incentive ($10-20 off next service, free fertilizer treatment, etc) if they leave you a review on yelp, kudzu, or google reviews?)
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Also, consider checking out a book called Guerilla Marketing. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"