Breastfeeding

preparing for daycare / pumping questions

My LO is starting at daycare on april 14 (about 2.5 months old - he is currently 2 wks old).

When should I start pumping to prepare a stash for daycare and what is the best way to start without causing an over supply or engorgement?

Thanks!!

Rachel (a.k.a. The Analytical Mommy.com and @analyticalmommy on IG)
I'm just trying to make sense of things :-) 

Re: preparing for daycare / pumping questions

• Thanks so much for the aadvice!
  • Thanks! Is it ok to combine milk I oump from seperate days if im only getting an oz?
  • Loading the player...
  • My son would nurse in the morning and then have about a two hour nap. I usually snuck in a pumping session about an hour/30 min into his nap. I was usually more full in the morning time and could get about 3 oz, and I knew I could pump a few ounces and still have a good nursing session with him after he woke from his nap. I ended up with a small freezer stash before my first day back to work just pumping this one time a day.
  • Following! I start working again next week. I have about 3 days of daycare worth saved up of milk. How many daycare days did you all have saved up before returning to work and was that enough?

TTC since April 2011. DH Dx MFI in February 2012. BFP #1: 7.16.12. MMC dx: 8.22.12, D&C 8.28.12, TTC Again November 2012. DH Varicocele repair November 2012; Repeat SA showed "dramatic" improvement February 2013 (awesome!)
    BFP #2: 3.26.13, EDC: 12.7.13. Anya born December 9th, 2013!
  • hrshykishrshykis member
    edited February 2014
    My DS just started daycare about 3 weeks ago and he was about 3 months old when he started. I was worried about the exact same thing. He is going to daycare for 9 hours a day and he eats 4 ounces every 3 hours. I send him to daycare with four, 4 ounce bottles and that seems to be fine. During the day while I'm at work, I try to pump both breasts twice a day and get about 4 ounces from each breast, each time. So basically I pump the same amount during the day that I send him to daycare with. I also BF him immediately before dropping him off at daycare in the morning.

I started pumping and freezing breast milk as soon as I got home from the hospital. I never had an issue with over supply or anything. I pumped once, maybe twice, a day in the early weeks and I breast fed all the other time. I felt like this was really beneficial because it really surprised me how quickly I went through that early frozen milk.
  • Thank you! Once you start pumping do you need to remain xobsistabt? (Like every day ar exactly 3pn) or can the times vary like bursing? I cutrebtly nurse on demand and LOs demands are inconsistant. Also im worried I might pump abd theb LO will be hubgry as soon as I finish - what do I do then? Id ve "dry"

Thanks for all the advice!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"