Trouble TTC

I should have asked more questions

My husband and I did our first IUI on Friday (2/21) and I feel like I should have been better about asking questions.

-Do they do the IUI on the day of ovulation or just before you ovulate?

-I ask for a couple reasons: We did the IUI on day 12, when I usually don't ovulate until day 14 or 15 (we did clomid and a trigger shot though) and when I went in for the US the day after, they said my big mature follicle didn't look like it had ruptured.

-My US the day after showed that the 2 smaller mature follicles were smaller (so they may have ruptured) but my big follicle looked unchanged. They said there was a little fluid in my uterus, though. So is this month a bust?

-They started me on progesterone just in case. Does it normally have many side effects?

Any insight you have or experiences you can share would be great! Thanks!

Re: I should have asked more questions

• -Do they do the IUI on the day of ovulation or just before you ovulate? 
    You will usually O within 24-36 hrs of your trigger shot.  I did trigger Tues morning, IUI Wed and Thurs morning (my clinic does B2B).  I ended up Oing on the Wed for both IUI cycles (in this example)

-I ask for a couple reasons: We did the IUI on day 12, when I usually don't ovulate until day 14 or 15 (we did clomid and a trigger shot though) and when I went in for the US the day after, they said my big mature follicle didn't look like it had ruptured.
    When did you do your trigger shot?

-My US the day after showed that the 2 smaller mature follicles were smaller (so they may have ruptured) but my big follicle looked unchanged. They said there was a little fluid in my uterus, though. So is this month a bust? 
    I'm lost on this one, sorry

-They started me on progesterone just in case. Does it normally have many side effects? 
    I've been on progesterone the last 2 IUI cycles and I found it definitely made me feel PMSy but more than usual.  Sore boobs, bloat, leakage (sorry, but it's true!) and emotional.  I also got a little ragey.  
                                                  *********************SIGGY WARNING*************************
                                        May 14 Siggy                                             
    TTC #1 since June 2012.  DX: Unexplained Infertility.  Me: Hypothyroid
    3 Failed Femara + TI cycles and 4 Failed Injects + B2B IUI cycles
    Cycle 23: IVF#1 CoQ10 + Lupron + Puregon = BFP!!
    Beta #1: 199   Beta #2: 800+   It's TWINS!  EDD: Feb 19, 2015
    Team Purple!!!!
    L & E arrived early on January 5, 2015!!
    ~~~All are welcome!~~~

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Trigger shot was Thursday about 11pm and IUI was Friday at 3pm.

I was really upset when they told me they didn't think my big mature follicle had ruptured. It was like instant gratification (except not gratifying-disheartening) but she said the fluid in my uterus was a good sign of ovulation, but she wasn't sure. I'm sorry, I'm just frustrated because nothing is 'sure' in this whole thing and I just wish I knew some answers! :(
  • Loading the player...
  • I totally get that, I hate all the uncertainty.  My first medicated cycle they mis-confirmed O, so I understand how frustrating that can be.  That timing sounds good, between trigger + IUI.  

So did you have 3 follies heading into it, 1 bigger and 2 smaller ones?  Do you know the sizes?  I wouldn't count yourself out, but it definitely is hard when they didn't give you more concrete info - were the follies there, or had they been released??  Isn't that what all the dildo-cam-ing is for?  But honestly, I'm sorry it's been frustrating and fx for you!   
                                                  *********************SIGGY WARNING*************************
                                        May 14 Siggy                                             
    TTC #1 since June 2012.  DX: Unexplained Infertility.  Me: Hypothyroid
    3 Failed Femara + TI cycles and 4 Failed Injects + B2B IUI cycles
    Cycle 23: IVF#1 CoQ10 + Lupron + Puregon = BFP!!
    Beta #1: 199   Beta #2: 800+   It's TWINS!  EDD: Feb 19, 2015
    Team Purple!!!!
    L & E arrived early on January 5, 2015!!
    ~~~All are welcome!~~~

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Haha, dildo-caming! Thanks, that made me laugh!
    Yep, 3 follicles going in. I don't know the exact sizes (again, should have asked more questions).
    Basically, I know exactly what I want and need to ask next time!
    Thanks for the replies!
  • My RE says that you usually ovulate 36-48 hours after the trigger so they time insemination at exactly 36 hours after. I have also heard that washed sperm don't live as long but my RE told me that they usually live at least 24 hours. I wouldn't count yourself out! You could have gotten lucky with the two smaller follies. And yeah, I would definitely make sure you get a baseline to make sure the larger one doesn't turn out to be a cyst.

********Siggy/Ticker Warning***********

Me (35) no known issues DH (37) MFI. TTC 21 months (24 cycles)
    Dx MFI with low to normal count, low motility, morphology 3%
    HSG normal, ultrasound and labs on me all normal. 

1 cycle of Clomid 50mg and TI, unmonitored by OBGYN= BFN
    1 cycle of Clomid 50mg and IUI, unmonitored by OBGYN= BFN
    Started seeing an RE!!
    2 more cycles of clomid 50mg (great response), with IUI and Pregnyl trigger (4.8-8 mil good ones after wash) = all BFN
    1 cycle of clomid 50mg (3-7) followed by Follistim 75iu (7-11) + IUI = BFN
    December 2013 DH saw urologist and is taking Anastrozole, CoQ10, and L-Carnitine
    IUI #5 natural cycle (needed a med break) = BFN
    IUI #6 Follistim 75iu (CD3-10) + Pregnyl (CD11) + IUI (final count after wash 300K) = BFN
    IUI #7 Follistim 75iu (CD3-9) + Pregnyl (CD11) + IUI on 2/20 (post wash count 12.5 million)= BFN
    IUI cancelled (DH OOT) Clomid 50mg (CD3-7) 1 follicle +(not well timed) TI = BFN
    IUI #8 and last one!! Clomid 100mg (CD3-7) +OPK before US + IUI 4/17 (post wash 8.5 mil)= BFN

Pre-IVF testing complete! SHG great and measurements taken! Labs for infectious diseases completed, FSH (5.4), TSH (1.6), Prolactin (11), AMH (2.6), Estradiol (40).

Started BCP 5/29 and Lupron 6/11 prep for IVF #1! Started follistim 225u/day on 6/28. Monitoring on 7/2 >15 follicles measuring 11-14, E2 758. Monitoring on 7/5 all ready to go!! Great follicle sizes and lining is at 9. Tigger 7/5, ER 7/7 16R 9M 3F. Stimmed too fast in just 7 days. 7/10 3dt of 2 8-cell grade 2 & 4. 7/14 P4 >60.
    Holy crap BFP!!!
    Beta #1 (14dpo) 7/21 112 Beta #2 (16dpo) 7/23 286 a Beta #3 (18dpo) 7/25 761 Beta #4 (21dpo) 2631!!! Hold on tight little embies!!
      First Ultrasound 8/7- 1 perfect little bean with a beating heart 117bpm!! EDD 3/30.
    Second ultrasound 9/2 Little bean measuring a few days ahead with a heart rate of 161!

PAIF/SAIF/All Welcome!

Pregnancy Ticker

March 15 Siggy Challenge: You had one job

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"