Preemies
Options

New mom to 31wk preemie twin boys.

I had my twin boys on Dec 27, 2013 at 31 weeks via c-section due to severe pre-eclampsia. They both spent a good amount of time in the NICU. Twin B (Mitchell), came home 4 weeks ago today weighing 6lbs 1oz and twin A (Mason), came home 2 weeks and 3 days ago weighing 5lbs 7oz. Mitchell was 4lbs 11oz and Mason was 3lbs 3oz at birth. Now that they are home, Mitchell is probably around 8+ lbs and Mason is only 6lbs 7oz as of this morning (we weigh him on our food scale daily lol). I have noticed that Mason isn't much of an eater; that's what kept him in the NICU 2 weeks longer than his brother. I am concerned that he isn't gaining like he should since his brother is so much bigger than he is. I am just curious if anyone else has experienced anything similar. I am new to this site and no one I know knows what I am talking about when it comes to preemie stuff. Anything helps!

Re: New mom to 31wk preemie twin boys.

• Options
    Congrats on your boys and on bringing them home! Two things immediately came to mind: 1) our doctor cautioned us against weighing baby at home because a lot of factors can go into their weight (did they just eat, are they about to poop) and it can be misleading. 2) As long as Mason is eating consistently I wouldn't worry too much. Are they on formula? If so, talk to your pedi about increasing the amount of calories in each bottle if they are worried about weight gain. FWIW, most twins I know have a couple of pounds difference for quite a while. Just keep track of what he eats and mention your concerns to your pedi. GL!

I'm not new. I just hate The Bump. 

• Options
    Congrats on the birth of your sons and on having them home! As I am only a singleton mom (of a 31 weeker, too!) I can't give you any advice on their weight discrepancy, but I think some babies are just bigger eaters than others generally. My DD barely lets us know when it's time to eat, but her cousin freaks out when he's hungry & gets hysterical. Babies also can gain at different rates. I would try not to worry as long as he's eating every 3 hours (or as often as the pedi advises). You could always schedule a weight check to make sure he's gaining. Enjoy your boys!!

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
    imageimage
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Thank you all so much for your advice! It really is hard to get out of the NICU mindset when they focused so much of their time in their on how much they eat and grow. They have their "2 month" check up on Thursday so I will make sure to ask lots of questions. I wish they would send parents home with a milestone list so we could have at least a little bit of an idea on how well the babies are doing.
  • Options
    Congrats on your babies!
    Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers
    Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers

• Options
    If he's up a pound in 17 days that's actually probably pretty good. That would be about 500g in 17 days or just under 30g/day. If you're concerned though I would definitely talk to your pedi and ask for a weight check on the same scale that was used before. Every baby has slightly different weight gain goals but about 30g per day or 1oz per day is pretty normal, if he needs more catch up growth he may need a little more.
    BFP#1 9/14/10 (EDD 5/21/11); no fetal pole 6w6d, 7w4d, d&c 10/8
    BFP#2 3/16/11, beta 138; 4/12 Baby/HB DS born 9/10/11 at 29w4d due to partial abruption and PTL
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    BFP#3 8/19/13 Another boy! 17P, modified bedrest and Nifedipine helped us have a termie! DS2 born 4/19/14 at 38w5d.
  • Options
    e74e74 member
    edited February 2014
    Hello, Your situation sounds so similar to mine including birth to twin boys at 31 weeks and them being in the NICU for 4 and6 weeks. Mine weighed 3 lbs 5 oz and 4 lbs 4 oz... The 4 lbs twin was the one who had difficulty gaining weight.., is your pediatrician doing biweekly weight checks? In our case, the one who had trouble gaining weight just had trouble with the whole feeding process..., I will say that today at almost 7 months actual, 5 months adjusted, both boys are on the curve for their weight... The twin who had difficulty gaining is 16 lbs, 14 oz as of his apptmt last night... Feel free to message me if you have any questions.., big hugs! Eta: I just checked... At the age yours are now, my twin that had difficulty gaining weight was 7 lbs, 7 oz, but he was about a lb heavier than yours to begin with... IMO and based on my experience, he should be fine, but I would talk with your pediatrician...
    DS#1 born 9/23/06 
    Twins DS#2 and 3 born at 31 weeks, 3 days due to a short cervix on 8/2/13.
  • Options
    Are your twins fraternal? If so then one might naturally be chunkier than the other. My first born weighed six ounces less at birth and now weighs four POUNDS less than his "little" brother. With twins it's so hard not to compare them to each other but they really are unique kids. As long as your pedi isn't concerned then try not to be as well.
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
    Married 9/22/07, began TTC 8/10
    Diagnosed with DOR, LP defect, mild endometriosis and cysts
    BFP #1 EDD 9/10/11, natural miscarriage at 6w
    BFP #2 Medicated cycle, twin boys born 4/4/12 at 29w4d
    BFP #3 EDD 8/8/14, D&C for missed miscarriage at 8w, baby boy with triploidy
    BFP #4 June 2014 CP
  • Options
    e74- thanks for your input. The pedi hasn't showed concern for the smaller twins weight. We have their two month well baby check up today. So, we will see what she says about it today. I know Mason is growing at the same weight as his brother but his brother is heavier than him. They are both on an enfacare 22 cal diet. Its good to compare with someone who is pretty much the same experience as my own..thanks again for your help.

• Options
    My twins are actually identical. It does make it hard not to compare babies because there are two of them. The whole time I was pregnant though, Mitchell (twin b), was bigger than Mason (twin a). Thanks for your help :)
  • Options
    Congrats on your boys! My boys are two pounds apart and one has considerably more muscular strength than the small one. It is very hard not to compare but as long as he is gaining that's a good sign. My boys were 33 and 6 and are now 3.5 months old and still the 2 pound difference but now that my smaller one is getting better at nursing his gain is getting better and slowly catching up. This week he just finally was able to get threw a nursing session without falling asleep. It's a painfully slow process but it does get better :)

Together 6 wonderful years.
    TTC #1 18 months 1 loss DX unexplained IF-- BFP July 2009-- ITS A BOY
    TTC #2 3 years and 3 losses DX PCOS -- BFP April 2013-- TWIN BOYS!
    ~DS1-Feb 2010~ 
    ~DS2&3- Nov 2013  {7 weeks early}~ TTC #4~
  • Options
    Just a little note of love from another 31 week twin mama! Mine are 2 now and one is still definitely a bigger eater than the other. I worried for a long time but it turned out all ok!
    D (34), J (37) and T3 (ages 2, 2 and brand new)
    Nov '10: IVF#1: BFP! Girl. Missed m/c at 14 weeks. Devastated
    Apr '11: IVF#2: BFP! Twin Girls born on Dec 3, 2011 at 31w5d! One month in NICU.
    Oct '13: IVF#3: BFP! Girl born Jun 19, 2014 at 38w3d!
  • Options
    My identical twin girls were born at 32 weeks weighing 3lbs 8oz and 3lbs 9oz the smaller twin weighs 1 and a half pounds less then the other one now. They just had their 4 month check up and their pediatrician isnt concerned at all. She does eat less then the other one but they are 2 diff babies they will eat and gain weight differently.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"