October 2014 Moms
Options

Hair loss

Is anyone else experiencing loosing more hair then normal right now? I do not remember having this happen at all with DD but i am noticing way more hair coming out in the shower then I am use to. What is the deal? Anything I can do about it? 
 image image
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Hair loss

• Options
    I actually had the opposite during my last pregnancy, and then end up shedding tons of hair for a few months after my son was born.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic 
    BabyName TickerBabyName Ticker
  • Options

I'm shedding like crazy. I run a brush through my hair all the time because it's starting to get on my nerves, lol.

imageSoon to be San Diego Mommy! 

Pregnancy Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I had the best hair months of my life leading up to my positive test. Those prenatal vitamins are really something! And until last week, I was losing almost no hair. In the last six or seven days however I have noticed it again in the shower. It's weird, and annoying.
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    I actually had the opposite during my last pregnancy, and then end up shedding tons of hair for a few months after my son was born.

Same here.

BabyFruit Ticker

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

BFP#1: 11/20/11, EDD 7/25/12, Emily Iris arrived 7/29/12 at 7 lb., 3.5 oz.

BFP#2: 8/25/13, EDD 5/4/14, MMC confirmed on 9/23/13, D&C on 9/26/13

BFP#3: 2/3/14, EDD 10/15/14, fraternal TWINS confirmed 2/21/14, two BOYS confirmed on 4/15/14!

• Options

Mention this to your OB. It could be a syptom of hypothyroidism which is NBD if treated.

Have you also just stopped BC? Because it can be because of a change in estrogen.

PG#1 - 3rd cycle BFP. Team Green. HELLP syndrome @ 34 weeks.
    Later diagnosed with Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, possible link to HELLP.

PG#2 M/C 3/14 - Surprise BFP 2/13. Beta's doubled every 52 hours from 3w5d-5w5d
    Viable pregnancy scan at 5w5d; 2nd u/s showed 2 days of growth in 7 but a HB of 120
    3rd u/s on 3/10/14 had no HB and baby had only grown 7 days over 14
    D&C 3/17/14 - complications - DX Retroflexed uterus, multiple tears to cervix

All Welcome

Chart

• Options
    I'm shedding handfuls but it's also a lot thicker than normal !

BabyFruit Ticker

photo octoberangel.jpg

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

• Options
    Last pregnancy my hair got super thick and then I lost a ton and had bald spots afterwards! :( 
  • Options

Mention this to your OB. It could be a syptom of hypothyroidism which is NBD if treated.

Have you also just stopped BC? Because it can be because of a change in estrogen.

I will mention when I go in next month. I stopped BC 3 months before my BFP so maybe it could still be that? 
     image image
  • Options
    I'm opposite, my hair is falling out less. I had been shedding like crazy since having DS2 in August 2012, but slowed down once I get my bfp.
    DS1 8/11/10 
    DS2 8/21/12
    DD 9/26/14
    Baby #4 edd 2/11/19 
  • Options
    Me, me, me. It was my first symptom along with a major dizzy spell (both in the shower, lol). It's just ... Falling out. Handfuls!
  • Options
    I have far too much hair already and I feel like it has only gotten thicker. I'm just glad it is growing like crazy! :) 

• Options
    I usually shed less now, then when baby is three months I feel like I'm going bald. It seems to come out in clumps from 3-6 months.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    My hair started thinning a few years ago. I was really hoping that it would get thicker during pregnancy, but so far it hasn't.
  • Options
    aander6 said:

I will mention when I go in next month. I stopped BC 3 months before my BFP so maybe it could still be that? 
    Sounds like a reasonable plan. If you notice any of these other symptoms, it might be worth a call into the nurse to see if they would want you to pull labs before. IF it is thyroid related, there is a slightly elevated chance of a m/c, but the real risk is not adjusting levels as the brain develops later in pregnancy.

Fatigue: While fatigue is common in pregnancy, excessive fatigue may be a warning sign. “If you wake up feeling as if 8 or 10 hours of sleep a night is insufficient, or being unable to function all day without a nap, this can be a sign of thyroid problems,” explained Dr. Balleck.

"Brittle, dry hair that is prone to breakage or falling out is a warning sign of hypothyroidism."

Muscle and joint pain: These sorts of aches and pains can be normal during pregnancy, but it’s a good idea to get checked out just in case.

Hair and skin changes: “The hair and skin are particularly vulnerable to thyroid conditions,” explains Dr. Balleck. Brittle, dry hair that is prone to breakage or falling out is a warning sign of hypothyroidism, as is skin that becomes thick, coarse, dry or scaly.

Neck changes: Does your neck feel a little different? “A feeling of swelling in the neck, discomfort with turtlenecks or neckties, a hoarse voice or a visibly enlarged thyroid can all be signs of a ‘goiter ’— an enlarged thyroid gland that is a symptom of thyroid disease,” she told us.

Other common symptoms are depression, anxiety and digestion problem

TBH, it sounds most reasonable that it's BC related... but I'm no doc. :)

Totally hear you on how annoying the hair loss is! Before I got my thyroid regulated and also after delivery, the bottom of my shower looked like this every night!

PG#1 - 3rd cycle BFP. Team Green. HELLP syndrome @ 34 weeks.
    Later diagnosed with Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, possible link to HELLP.

PG#2 M/C 3/14 - Surprise BFP 2/13. Beta's doubled every 52 hours from 3w5d-5w5d
    Viable pregnancy scan at 5w5d; 2nd u/s showed 2 days of growth in 7 but a HB of 120
    3rd u/s on 3/10/14 had no HB and baby had only grown 7 days over 14
    D&C 3/17/14 - complications - DX Retroflexed uterus, multiple tears to cervix

All Welcome

Chart

• Options
    aander6 said:

Sounds like a reasonable plan. If you notice any of these other symptoms, it might be worth a call into the nurse to see if they would want you to pull labs before. IF it is thyroid related, there is a slightly elevated chance of a m/c, but the real risk is not adjusting levels as the brain develops later in pregnancy.

Fatigue: While fatigue is common in pregnancy, excessive fatigue may be a warning sign. “If you wake up feeling as if 8 or 10 hours of sleep a night is insufficient, or being unable to function all day without a nap, this can be a sign of thyroid problems,” explained Dr. Balleck.

"Brittle, dry hair that is prone to breakage or falling out is a warning sign of hypothyroidism."

Muscle and joint pain: These sorts of aches and pains can be normal during pregnancy, but it’s a good idea to get checked out just in case.

Hair and skin changes: “The hair and skin are particularly vulnerable to thyroid conditions,” explains Dr. Balleck. Brittle, dry hair that is prone to breakage or falling out is a warning sign of hypothyroidism, as is skin that becomes thick, coarse, dry or scaly.

Neck changes: Does your neck feel a little different? “A feeling of swelling in the neck, discomfort with turtlenecks or neckties, a hoarse voice or a visibly enlarged thyroid can all be signs of a ‘goiter ’— an enlarged thyroid gland that is a symptom of thyroid disease,” she told us.

Other common symptoms are depression, anxiety and digestion problem

TBH, it sounds most reasonable that it's BC related... but I'm no doc. :)

Totally hear you on how annoying the hair loss is! Before I got my thyroid regulated and also after delivery, the bottom of my shower looked like this every night!

I am really not having any of these other symptoms so I think I will be fine waiting till next month. But thank you for posting this!! Makes me less worried. It is probably just the dang BC. I seriously do not want to go back on hormonal BC ever again. But all those implant BC make me so nervous. 
     image image
  • Options
    I usually shed a ton, but have noticed that it has decreased a lot the past couple of weeks
    imageLilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"