1st Trimester

Cramping/achiness

Hello everyone!

I am 5 and a half weeks pregnant and for the past couple days I've had some mild but almost constant discomfort in my lower abdomen.  Before I found out I was pregnant, I had bouts of cramping and strange pulling sensations, but I thought I was just going to be getting my period, so it didn't bother me.  Now that my doctor confirmed that I am pregnant, the pains are worrisome.

I didn't know that you could feel cramps when you got pregnant, and I asked my doctor about them and she said they were normal as long as they aren't worse than period cramps or as long as there is no bleeding.  

As a women who normally gets mildly crampy before getting my period, I'm used to having these pains and then expecting my period.  I guess I'm just worried that I will start bleeding and it makes me nervous!  I know the high rate of miscarriages, so I want to be sure I'm doing everything right!

Did you have cramps and achiness?
BabyFetus Ticker

Re: Cramping/achiness

• Yes, this is totally normal.  In early pregnancy cramps will often feel just like your period is about to happen, but then it doesn't.  You will also be crampy for a lot of the pregnancy, it is called round ligament pain.  It can be worrisome, but just know if their is no bleeding and no severe pain, it is probably normal pain.  

Whenever in doubt, call your doctor and avoid Google...it will scare the shit out of you.

Congrats!!
    PPD/PPA Mom...it has been super hard, but I'm making it! Slow steps...
    Mom to Carter (6), and Calianne (1).  
    Proud VBAC, natural birth, breastfeeding, cloth diapering momma!

• Totally normal especially in the beginning.  I actually had the crampy feeling around 5-6 weeks then felt fine till just this week at 9 weeks.
    DH and I Married 11.12.10
    First BPP 1.24.14
    EDD 9.26.14

Baby Cooper John born on 9.24.14 6lbs9oz

• Loading the player...
  • Glad you asked :) I was worried as well
  • My first symptom for both DS and this pregnancy was cramps that felt exactly like period cramps. I actually fell asleep with ibuprofen and a heating pad next to my bed the night before I got my BFP with DS, because I was 100% sure my period would start by morning. With this pregnancy, I kept expecting my period for about three days because of the cramps before realizing I needed to test.

With DS, I think the cramping lasted fairly constantly for about 3 weeks. This time it lasted for about a week or two, but I still periodically feel random cramping.
     Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I am around the same week as you and having the exact same symptoms. I heard it has to do with the thickening of the uterus to form the womb? Might be mistaken.  Other than that, I've got no symptoms.
  • I had very uncomfortable cramping until about 11 weeks.. Totally normal as your uterus is stretching!
    BabyFetus Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"