Breastfeeding

Best time to introduce a bottle?

I'm sure this has been discussed, but when do you ladies think is the best age to introduce a bottle of expressed milk? With my first son I waited till he was 4 weeks old and he never took to it! I'm 38.5 weeks pregnant and would really like the option for this baby to take a bottle sometimes. Do you think two weeks old is too early?
BabyFruit Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Best time to introduce a bottle?

• When my daughter was about two weeks old, we had to introduce a bottle because she wasn't gaining well.  She took to it fine, and was able to go back and forth between the two.  However, when she was about 2.5 months old, I stopped offering a bottle (I just didn't because I SAH with her, and it was just easier for me to nurse her), and she refused to take a bottle after that.  It's been quite a challenge lol.  
    Mama of 3 earth babies and 1 beautiful angel baby
  • Thanks ladies, I had my husband introduce the bottle last time, maybe that wasn't a good idea? I did read to be successful you should offer one bottle each day. I loved ebf'ing my son and plan to do it this time also, it is just super hard (as I'm sure you all know) to be the only one that could feed him! I'd love for a family me,ber to be able to give the baby a bottle of my milk, or to be able to run a few errands without worrying about getting back so quickly.
    BabyFruit Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • 2 weeks is fine. I did it to my DD at that age too.
  • We just introduced DD to a bottle at 3 weeks while MIL babysat her for a few hours. Apparently it took her a a few minutes to learn how to use the nipple, but then she took it just fine and is still nursing like a champ. I think as long as everything is going well the 2-3 weeks range is fine.

• We did it at exactly the 1 month mark and had no issues at all.  
    TTC #1 12/2009
    BFP #1 1/2010, M/C 6 weeks
    BFP #2 6/2010, DD lost to
    congenital heart diseasewe are heartbroken.

TTC #2 4/2011, diagnosed MTHFR, FVL
    Four natural cycles BFN; Clomid IUI BFN; Follistim IUI BFN;
    1/2012 IVF #1 BFN
    4/2012 FET BFP #3
    5/2012 7w1d u/s: anembryonic demise; M/C @ 8w.
    6/2012 found Stage II/III endo on laparoscopy, removed w/ laser.
    8/2012 IVF #2 epic fail: no viable embryos.

Vacation, break, second opinions, on to new RE.
    1/2013 Surprise chemical pregnancy BFP #4 (break cycle), IVF #3 postponed.
    2/2013 TI w/ hormonal support, prednisone, aspirin, Lovenox, acupuncture gave us a miracle BFP #5!
    Heartbeat on U/S at 6w1d!
    Baby,please stay!!
    Our miracle baby boy arrived 10/2013!  We are so in love!!

10/2014 Surprise BFP #6
    Our second daughter arrived in May 2015!  We are so grateful!  

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

• DD was about 3 weeks and after we found a very slow flow nipple she's done very well. She's 7 weeks now and we offer a bottle about 2 times per week.
  • Hospital LC said 4 weeks and private LC said 1 week. I ended up waiting until 6 and it has been a battle. I wish I had done it at 1 week but as a FTM recovering from an unexpected c-section and it being Christmas Eve, that wasn't happening.
  • Thanks for the input ladies!
    BabyFruit Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"