Breastfeeding
Options

Toughening up nipples?

I've heard from a few women that I should "toughen up" my nipples to get ready for BF by scrubbing them with a washcloth in the shower... Is this true? Does it help? They're already sore as it is and I'm wondering if doing this to them is only going to make them feel worse?

Re: Toughening up nipples?

• Options
    My mom told me to do this and I said something to my MW. She laughed. There's no need to do it and I really don't think it will help that much, if at all.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    Nope. No need to toughen up your nipples. I had heard the same thing and then read on several reputable sites (including KellyMom) that it's not necessary.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    ouch, don't do it! just make sure you have some kind of nipple cream on hand- i liked the earth mama angel baby nipple cream (or you can use coconut oil), and apply it after each feeding.
  • Options
    Ha! No. No need. Not everyone gets sore nipples anyway.
    **Warning: Losses and living child mentioned**
    BFP#1 1/31/12, EDD 10/6/12 Harrison Gray born sleeping @ 18w6d. You changed our lives little guy.
    BFP#2 EDD 10/29/13, C/P 2/25/13, Bye little Ish, we barely got to know you.
    BFP#3 EDD 12/21/13, Baby Boots born 11/23/13 My rainbow baby!

imageView Full Size Imageimageimage
    January PAL Siggy Challenge: Good Advice

• Options
    Definitely not! This is a way out of date and very bad piece of advice!
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Mine are sore already ... I'm due in 2 mos... Is that weird?!
  • Options
    I was seriously told to put the scratchy side of velcro in my bra. No. Why prolong the nipple torture? I agree ... get some good nipple cream and research what a good latch looks like. I watched a ton of youtube videos on breastfeeding (ignore the pervvy comments on the videos!).
  • Options
    Nope - this is outdated advice! Getting the latch and technique correct is more important. You can read up on it/go to classes, etc. now, but for the most part you'll figure it out once you actually start nursing. Be sure to have numbers for lactation consultants, infant helplines, etc. ready, so you can call if you need to.
  • Options
    I'm guessing those women were middle aged or older :)  This is outdated (and bad) advice.  Be nice to your nipples, they will get enough rough treatment from baby or pump as it is.  Get some nipple cream.  If nursing or pumping is painful, you most likely have a latch problem or poor fitting flanges.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Lanolin cream and Comfort Gels can really help.  Do not try to artificially toughen them up!
  • Options
    If you are still pregnant do not stimulate your nipples to "toughen" them up. It could trigger premature labor.

DS #1 born January 2010. DS #2 due June 2014.

• Options
    Thanks ladies! Toughening them up when I'm still preggo and sore did not sound like a fun idea and after reading your responses I will definitely pass on doing so! And yes, the ladies who gave me this advice are middle aged!!
  • Options
    Agreeing with don't do it! I did use lansinoh a little before DD came though since it said I could on the tube! So that's an option for before baby comes if you want.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers 
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    A friend's mom told mr to cut holes in old bras and wear a flannel or denim shirt to toughen them up. It seems to be common advice from that generation.
    Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
    Parent of Baby Boy M, born December 2013 Angels: Miscarriage @ 9 weeks, May 2015, Chemical Pregnancy November 2015

Lilypie Maternity tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"