Trouble TTC

What shall I do next?

Hello, ladies!  I come seeking your sage advice again...

So I've had 3 failed IUIs on Clomid.  Clear HSG.  My doctor is calling me for a consultation tomorrow to talk about the next steps.  When I had my HSG she said "If this cycle fails we'll try to switch your medication to Femara.  Or if you want, we can try more aggressive therapies like injectables.  We'll discuss that if/when the time comes."

I responded well to Clomid (usually I'd get 2-3 follicles matured).

Should I go straight to injectables?  I'm getting sick of going in all the time and I really just want to get KTFU.  But at the same time, I shouldn't allow my impatience to cause me to make a rash decision when Femara may be more prudent.

I don't really know what to do.  I'm trying to do some research now so I'll know what I'm getting myself into.  I read a study that Clomid + IUI has an 8.5% success rate and Gonal-F + IUI has a 17% success rate so... that's attractive.

What do you ladies think?  Would I be putting myself at risk using injectables?  Do you think switching to Femara first may be wiser?

Many thanks, as always, for your help.

Re: What shall I do next?

• If you responded well to Clomid, I'm not sure about the injects.  Personally, I wouldn't want more than 2-3 mature follies, so I'm not sure what the advantage would be with injects.  Does your insurance cover anything?  Because injects are quite a bit more than Clomid/Femara. 

Hopefully some of the other ladies will have better advice than me.

TTC since March 2012
    DX: MFI (4% motility)

Cycle 13: Natural cycle w/ HSG test = BFP
    Identical twins! 
    Lost my angel boys at 10.5 weeks

Cycle 14-16: Natural Cycles = BFN
    Cycle 17: Follistim + Trigger + IUI = BFN
    Cycle 18: Natural Cycle = BFN
    Cycle 19: Follistim + Trigger +IUI#2
    Polyp found: SIS 11/11 - hysteroscopy 11/14
    Cycle 20: Follistim + IUI#2 = BFFN
    Cycle 21: Follistim (adj. dosage) + IUI#3 TI  = BFN
    IUI cancelled due to weather
    Cycle 22: Follistim + IUI#3.1 = BFN

Cycle 23: treatment break, IVF consult
    Cycle 24 - 26: natural cycle w/ acupuncture + Chinese herbs = BFN
    Cycle 27: Follistim + IUI#4 = BFFN
    Natural Cycles until IVF
    Cycle 30: IVF#1 - Starting with Menopur + Follistim + Ganirelix
    17 retrieved, 12 fertilized, 5dt w/ 2 blasts, 5 frosties

Betas:  #1-156(9dp5dt), #2-1200(13dp5) #3-6112(17dp5)
    Ultrasound #1 10/6: 1 bean!
    TEAM BLUE!

My Chart
    ~~ALL WELCOME~~

BabyFruit Ticker
  • edited February 2014

I switched donors for my last IUI.  I definitely don't want to increase the number of follicles, but I didn't know if injectables increased the quality or not.  Or if Femara acts differently and would work better for some reason.

And yes, I know injectables cost a lot more which is another reason I'm asking :)

ETA: I read somewhere that Femara improves egg quality.  Anyone know if that's true?

• Loading the player...
  • I was just switched from clomid to arimidex (like fermara) and we almost cancelled the cycle because I had no mature follicles. Finally, on day 19, I had one large enough to trigger. I just had my IUI today and if it works, great. If not, I'm switching to injections. Best of luck making your decision!

Me 36 with endometriosis, PCOS, fibroid and ovulation issues, DH 40
    TTC #1 since 04/12, BFP 10/12. Missed MC/D&C at 10 weeks 11/12
    TTC #2 since 12/12
    6 clomid cycles since 7/13, all BFN
    IUI #1 (2 b2b) with clomid and trigger shot on 1/20/2014 BFN
    IUI #2 with arimidex and trigger, B2B IUI's 2/24 and 2/25, BFN
    IUI #3 with menopur injections and trigger, IUI 3/23, BFN
    7 month break

Fibroid surgery 10/14

IVF cycle 1 beginning Nov. 1st...cancelled due to follicle issues.  On hold for Dec. due to holidays.

IVF cycle 1.2- Gonal F (100) as of 1/12

• Are you OOP?  Femara is MUCH more affordable than injectables.  I didn't respond to clomid, but responded well to Femara at first.  I would worry that injectables would give you more follies than you want.  Femara would probably be comparable to the results you got with Clomid.

ME - 31, DH - 40

Married 06/25/2011, TTC since 03/2012

BFP #1 on 11/13/12 -- EDD 7/24/13 -- M/C (CP) on 11/21/12

BFP #2 on  7/21/13 -- EDD 3/29/14 -- M/C (CP) on 7/31/13

09/4/13 - 4/16/14 -- IUI #1 - 6 = BFNs :(

7/13/14 -- IVF #1 w/ ICSI

ER on 7/26/14 -- 20 R, 15 M, 11 F

ET on 7/31/14 -- 1 transferred (4bb); 8 frosties!!!

BFP #3 on 8/8/14 -- EDD 04/18/15

BETA #1:  473,  BETA #2: 1009, BETA #3: 1975

** It's a BOY!!! **

image    image 

• I don't really get why you would go to injectables when you are getting good follicles. Has your RE expressed concern about egg quality at all? I know the IUIs are a lot to deal with but 6 months and 4 cycles isn't that much when ttc. I assume they did a full fertility work up for you? 

honestly, I pay no attention to IUI success percentages. It's a crap shoot and every clinic and every person is different. RPL only affects 1% of couples...but I'm that 1% so what does it matter that 99% of people won't go through this. 
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    ME (26) DH (32) Diagnosis- unexplained recurrent pregnancy loss
    BFP #1 7/12- MC 8w.3d
    BFP #2 10/12- CP 
    BFP #3 1/13 - CP
    BFP #4 8/13- MC 6w3d
    IUI #1 50mg Clomid/Ovidrel 1/13-BFN
    IUI #2 2/14 100MG Clomid/Ovidrel- BFP! grow baby grow

• ebwhit said:
    I don't really get why you would go to injectables when you are getting good follicles. Has your RE expressed concern about egg quality at all? I know the IUIs are a lot to deal with but 6 months and 4 cycles isn't that much when ttc. I assume they did a full fertility work up for you? 

honestly, I pay no attention to IUI success percentages. It's a crap shoot and every clinic and every person is different. RPL only affects 1% of couples...but I'm that 1% so what does it matter that 99% of people won't go through this. 

My question exactly!  I don't want to have triplets or anything crazy.  I just want one.  It was just something she said in passing.  We'll have our actual consultation tomorrow afternoon.  I wanted to prepare myself as much as I could to ask questions and be knowledgeable rather than say "Injectables sound great!" 

They have a packaged deal for injectable IUI at my RE's office so I wasn't as concerned about pricing (it would be a couple hundred bucks more than what I'm doing now with Clomid, which in the scheme of things isn't that bad).  But it sounds like the consensus is to stay away from the injectables for the time being.

I don't know about my egg quality.  I guess that may be a concern of my doctor's.  I'm not sure why my IUIs keep failing when they're well timed and I have a couple follicles each attempt.

It sucks something awful though, not knowing.

• Rumbera28 said:
    I also don't know why you'd get put on injectibles if you're responding well to Clomid.   Menopur does improve egg quality somewhat, but nothing so far points to an egg quality problem .

Injects are more expensive, but chances are you would be on very low levels since producing eggs is not your issue.    If I was in your shoes, I would probably ask about back to back IUI's.   I know that studies show that the difference is not significant, but somehow I just don't believe this.
    I'm not a doctor so I could be wrong, but my understanding is the sperm outlives the egg which is why there's really not a statistical difference between 1 IUI vs. B2B IUI.  If it made a difference I would do it in a heartbeat, but with DS costing as much as it does it doesn't seem practical for me to try that...
  • Thanks @calindi :) what's weird is my lining was totally fine on Clomid (12-14 mm each cycle) so I don't know why Femara would benefit me... Perhaps it's just been bad luck or something.  I noticed in my last cycle that my temp spiked the day I got my IUI.  I was worried I'd ovulated too soon.  I did it based off my OPKs.  I think I'll mention that to the doctor.  I probably should've gotten my IUI the day of the surge, or very early morning the next day (I'd done the IUI in the early afternoon).
  • sunlavendersunlavender member
    edited February 2014

I did one Clomid+trigger+IUI cycle.  I had two mature follicles.  My RE, however, switched me to Letrozole (Femara) this cycle.  I responded much quicker to the Let.  Monitoring on the same cycle day, I had two follicles again, but my they were significantly bigger (15/18mm on Clomid, 22/24mm on Let).  We ended up not triggering, since I was obviously so close naturally, and I ovulated on my own two days later.

I know everyone's experiences are different, but Let was better than Clomid for me.

imageimageimage

Trying to get knocked up since June 2012 ~ Dx: PCOS

BFP 7.24.13 ~ EDD 4.2.14 ~ m/c  9.16.13 @ 11w4d

BFP 5.4.14 ~ EDD 1.12.15 ~ stick little bean!

TTGP 2013 Best Blog ~ Fruit ~ My BFP Chart 

• Lillovebug79Lillovebug79 member
    edited February 2014
    Thanks @calindi :) what's weird is my lining was totally fine on Clomid (12-14 mm each cycle) so I don't know why Femara would benefit me... Perhaps it's just been bad luck or something.  I noticed in my last cycle that my temp spiked the day I got my IUI.  I was worried I'd ovulated too soon.  I did it based off my OPKs.  I think I'll mention that to the doctor.  I probably should've gotten my IUI the day of the surge, or very early morning the next day (I'd done the IUI in the early afternoon).

I would definitely ask about an HCG trigger shot to better time your IUIs. Timing is so critical and the trigger isn't crazy expensive so it's worth it to increase your chances.
    I also had great response to clomid, 2-3 mature follicles each time, nice thick lining, and an awesome 7dpo progesterone level. Once I was done with Clomid, I moved on to Follistim. On that, I've had 4-5 possible mature follicles and great lining but our problem is really with sperm so it doesn't matter how great I ovulate if they can't get one of the eggs fertilized. I would think about trying Femara and a trigger for at least a cycle of two if I were you. Maybe you will get lucky if your timing is more exact! Good luck!

edited:sorry I just saw that you had been doing a trigger! In that case, I would probably try injects next. My RE said that sometimes the quality of ovulation is better with FSH. I've never taken Femara but I think it's a lot like clomid and if you respond well to clomid, it will probably be the same on Femara.

********Siggy/Ticker Warning***********

Me (35) no known issues DH (37) MFI. TTC 21 months (24 cycles)
    Dx MFI with low to normal count, low motility, morphology 3%
    HSG normal, ultrasound and labs on me all normal. 

1 cycle of Clomid 50mg and TI, unmonitored by OBGYN= BFN
    1 cycle of Clomid 50mg and IUI, unmonitored by OBGYN= BFN
    Started seeing an RE!!
    2 more cycles of clomid 50mg (great response), with IUI and Pregnyl trigger (4.8-8 mil good ones after wash) = all BFN
    1 cycle of clomid 50mg (3-7) followed by Follistim 75iu (7-11) + IUI = BFN
    December 2013 DH saw urologist and is taking Anastrozole, CoQ10, and L-Carnitine
    IUI #5 natural cycle (needed a med break) = BFN
    IUI #6 Follistim 75iu (CD3-10) + Pregnyl (CD11) + IUI (final count after wash 300K) = BFN
    IUI #7 Follistim 75iu (CD3-9) + Pregnyl (CD11) + IUI on 2/20 (post wash count 12.5 million)= BFN
    IUI cancelled (DH OOT) Clomid 50mg (CD3-7) 1 follicle +(not well timed) TI = BFN
    IUI #8 and last one!! Clomid 100mg (CD3-7) +OPK before US + IUI 4/17 (post wash 8.5 mil)= BFN

Pre-IVF testing complete! SHG great and measurements taken! Labs for infectious diseases completed, FSH (5.4), TSH (1.6), Prolactin (11), AMH (2.6), Estradiol (40).

Started BCP 5/29 and Lupron 6/11 prep for IVF #1! Started follistim 225u/day on 6/28. Monitoring on 7/2 >15 follicles measuring 11-14, E2 758. Monitoring on 7/5 all ready to go!! Great follicle sizes and lining is at 9. Tigger 7/5, ER 7/7 16R 9M 3F. Stimmed too fast in just 7 days. 7/10 3dt of 2 8-cell grade 2 & 4. 7/14 P4 >60.
    Holy crap BFP!!!
    Beta #1 (14dpo) 7/21 112 Beta #2 (16dpo) 7/23 286 a Beta #3 (18dpo) 7/25 761 Beta #4 (21dpo) 2631!!! Hold on tight little embies!!
      First Ultrasound 8/7- 1 perfect little bean with a beating heart 117bpm!! EDD 3/30.
    Second ultrasound 9/2 Little bean measuring a few days ahead with a heart rate of 161!

PAIF/SAIF/All Welcome!

Pregnancy Ticker

March 15 Siggy Challenge: You had one job

• So it seems like you definitely need a conversation with your RE to see what they think is the next best step for you. 

This is my experience, I did 3 Clomid IUIs, but didn't get KU. So I did a clomid + menopur cycle and didn't O. So next I went to just menopur and 2 out of 4 cycles were cancelled because of no O. So for me menopur hast been that great, but my clinic is very conservative with dosing especially with my high AFC. So I decided to try femara, last month I O'd but no BFP so this month we are trying Femara again. 

For me a femara cycle costs $5 for the meds and a menopur $800+. So its a big cost difference and with half of my cycles not making it to O, I decided to try something else. I felt like going into injects would be like magic and it wasn't at least for me.
    Diagnosed MFI- low sperm count  
    DS-Born 7/27/11 After 2 years of IF we have our little man
    TTC#2 January 2013
    11 Medicated cycles gave us
    B/G Twins born 10/8/14 @ 32 weeks
  • Thanks everyone!  My RE decided to try a hybrid cycle with Femara and Follistim.  We'll see how that works out :) I won't know until next cycle - benched for a bit but that's okay.  If I get KU next cycle my BM will be December.  It would be awesome to have a child born on December 23rd.  Then I could call our child our Festivus miracle.
  • calindi said:
    Thanks everyone!  My RE decided to try a hybrid cycle with Femara and Follistim.  We'll see how that works out :) I won't know until next cycle - benched for a bit but that's okay.  If I get KU next cycle my BM will be December.  It would be awesome to have a child born on December 23rd.  Then I could call our child our Festivus miracle.
    I'm a December baby, and I never wanted to do that to my child! But at this point, full speed ahead.  If I am so lucky as to get pregnant with a December due date, I'll spoil that child rotten to make up for lousy birthday timing.

Yeah, I know :( My big brother was born on the 26th and his birthday always gets looped into Christmas.  C and I talked about skipping cycles that would result in a winter/holiday birth but... I want a baby, and I don't want to keep waiting.  I've thought up a few solutions, and I was thinking maybe celebrating their birthday in June (like a half birthday or something)... C hates that idea but I don't know what else to do.  We should at least making a point to not let Christmas overshadow our child's birthday.

It may be a moot point - this cycle could certainly fail just like the others, but I'm trying to mentally prepare myself for a December baby in case it does happen!

• Thank you for the tips, @calindi!  I'll remember them, should I have the happy dilemma of figuring out how to best honor the birth of our first child in December :)
  • The plus side to having a December baby is you get to have a baby THIS year. If you have a January baby you won't get to have a baby till next year :( 
    Diagnosed MFI- low sperm count  
    DS-Born 7/27/11 After 2 years of IF we have our little man
    TTC#2 January 2013
    11 Medicated cycles gave us
    B/G Twins born 10/8/14 @ 32 weeks
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"