October 2012 Moms

If you SAH now or have

Mrs.G123Mrs.G123 member
edited February 2014 in October 2012 Moms
Was it difficult to transition back to working in terms of staying relevant in the workplace? Did your employee ask about the time you were home? If you still SAH, do you plan to transition back to working? If so, when?

I think it is time to quit my job. TIA!!!
Birthday

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: If you SAH now or have

• I've been out of work for almost 2 years. Had to leave my job in VA when we moved in March 2012. Then stayed with my parents in PA for 3 months while H was training in FL. Then moved to GA June 2012 when I was 6 months pregnant. So I didn't start really looking until January 2013 and still haven't found anything. Wish I could! I've had 2 interviews the past month-ish and still haven't heard back. I want to work!

In my interviews, they have asked about the gap in employment and I've had to explain about being military, relocation, and having babies. But I also started om a grad certificate in September 2013 so that's what's helped me actually get interviews since I added it to my resume. Bridges the employment gap a bit.
    Logan Jack- 6.1.10 and Emmett Weston- 9.29.12 

• I've been SAH but have just started applying for jobs within the last few weeks.  I'm trying to switch what I was doing before (psych nursing) to a different area of nursing so it will probably take longer to find a job, but ultimately I think it will be better( I really don't want to do shift work anymore).  I want to go back FT because I want to go get my masters and want to get tuition benefit, which most jobs around here offer.  

I have gaps in my employment but I still kept up with nursing by subbing and doing a summer camp and I think that will help. 

The thing that makes me most nervous is daycare- not having DD there, because I know she'll be fine and she's outgoing she'll love it, but finding one reasonably priced that's close to our house and then the logistics of drop off plus parking with being in the city.  
  • Loading the player...
  • I have been off since I left from maternity leave. Like @awesomesauce123 I am trying to transition from floor nursing to something else. Unfortunately, a different department wanted to hire me at my old hospital but they are in a huge hiring freeze and have recently laid off a lot of people. Sadly other hospitals and facilities that dont know me personally arent willing to take a risk hiring me in a department I have no experience in. It is also hard because I want to only go back part time or per diem and am having difficulty just finding open positions.
    image                 image
    Lilypie - (52Ft)

• I SAH but I'm also a freelance writer so I've been editing and writing since I made the transition from an office. I was very adamant about always working because I never want to become irrelevant, even if I have no real interest in going back into a fulltime career. I think if there's nothing you can do part time, it's probably a good idea to volunteer or do something so there are no huge gaps in your resume. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • i think more employers have become Jerks due to oversaturation of unemployed and underemployed in the workforce.I'm in HR

I will have stayed home for close to 18 mos (consult very part time) and some employers acted as if I never worked...I say to stay relevant in your industry volunteer or get a certification when you are close to returning. Good luck!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I think this is quite common in my field, as it is 98% women. I've heard of a lot of people leaving the work force and coming back without issue.
    imageimageimage

Lilypie First Birthday tickersimage
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"