Baby Names

would the initials B.J. make you not use a name?

E The most logical choice for our first son and last child would be Bradley Joseph to honor my family and his. Bradley is my maiden name and both of m brothers passed leaving no one to carry on the last name. Joseph is husband's middle name and both of us have a favorite grandfather named Joe.
Should I just use it or forget it because of the initials?
Married my best friend on 5/14/05
Three Girls: Bits 2/08  Biscuit 10/09 & Sweet Chuck 2/12
One Favorite son: Suishy Smalls 6/14
And another Princess coming 7/16

Re: would the initials B.J. make you not use a name?

• NerdyLucyNerdyLucy member
    edited February 2014
    I love Bradley Joseph. I'd use it regardless of the initials. I don't find it to be that much if a deterrent.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• I wouldn't let that stop me and wouldn't be too worried about it. Unless you call him BJ few people will be aware of his middle initial anyway.
  • Loading the player...
  • I wouldn't do it. But that's me.
  • It wouldn't bother me if I loved the name and felt it was perfect.

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Great name. Wouldn't bother me at all.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • It would bother me if it was the first and last name, but BJ as a first/middle name is fine.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Nope. I woent to high school with a guy who went by BJ as a nn. He never cared and I never heard anybody crack any jokes about it.

I went to school with a BJ as well and no one made jokes.
  • We have a Bronson James and BJ has never been an issue...
  • It wouldn't bother me if I loved the name and felt it was perfect.
    I agree. One of my best friend in high school's initials were BJ, first name and last name, she was teased a little but said it never really bothered her that much. She and all three of her siblings had those initials. 
  • Yes, I would avoid BJ
    Married 9-4-04

***PM me for my IF history***

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
  • no
    DH and I are Americans living an adventure in Kenya since 2011
    DX: PCOS (annovulatory)
    Feb 2012: IUI #1 w/ only 1M sperm and a single follie = BFP! 
    Nov 2012: Little buddy born in Kenya
    Nov 2013: Trying for a second, still w PCOS
    Dec 2013: IUI cycle canceled for non-response
    Jan 2014: Break cycle BFP!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Since the J is from his middle name it would not bother me. Our last names starts with a J so first names starting with a B are out for us. With the middle namebeimf the J I would go for it.
  • We are considering Benjamin too and are debating using john as a middle name. I prefer it over David but as a high school teacher I can only imagine the teasing.
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

• Go for it! I have several students who opt to go by "BJ" and no one blinks an eye. Not a big deal!
  • We are considering Benjamin too and are debating using john as a middle name. I prefer it over David but as a high school teacher I can only imagine the teasing.
    I teach High School also so maybe that is why I over think this. One of my daughter's monogram is tHc and they thought it was hysterical when they saw a pic of her with a jacket on and her monogram.
  • 1A1A member

Nope. I went to high school with a guy who went by BJ as a nn. He never cared and I never heard anybody crack any jokes about it.

Same here.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker

I teach High School also so maybe that is why I over think this. One of my daughter's monogram is tHc and they thought it was hysterical when they saw a pic of her with a jacket on and her monogram.

Yeah I just can't get past it. We want to honor my dad with ds' middle name. My grandmother chose John after JFK but just chose David because it sounded good. It is making me reconsider Benjamin, which has been on the top of our list the whole time. Naming boys is difficult.
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

• Especially because it's first and middle, it's fine and wouldn't bother me. I would take pause if it was direst and last... But ultimately probably decide it was fine because of the famiy significance in your names.

It's a great name, by the way.
  • My sons name is Bryce Jacob. I personally have known a lot of boys with the nn name BJ and never got teased for it. I won't be nn him BJ but if he chooses to go by it then that's his choice.
  • Lurker here...

As someone who grew up with the initials BJ (first & last) honestly it was not a big deal. I think someone maybe tried to make a joke of it a couple of times, but no one else cared and it wasn't a big deal. If I ever had to put my initials on anything (a form or whatever) I always used first/middle/last just as personal preference, but it was no big deal. For a first/middle I can't see it ever being an issue.

Now my initials are BS....I get way more jokes about that, and it's just funny so I don't care.
  • I wouldn't be concerned in the least with BJ as a first and middle for a boy. I know a couple BJs (that's what they go by), and I don't think it has ever been an issue. I love Bradley in the first name slot with it being your maiden.
  • Lurker here...

As someone who grew up with the initials BJ (first & last) honestly it was not a big deal. I think someone maybe tried to make a joke of it a couple of times, but no one else cared and it wasn't a big deal. If I ever had to put my initials on anything (a form or whatever) I always used first/middle/last just as personal preference, but it was no big deal. For a first/middle I can't see it ever being an issue.

Now my initials are BS....I get way more jokes about that, and it's just funny so I don't care.
    Awesome. My second name choice would give initials BS!

• Use it! It is no big deal!
  • I"ve never written just my FN & MN initials and very few people even know my MN. I wouldn't worry. 
    I have a friend who hated his first name and chose to go by BJ his entire life and I went to school with him for high school and never heard any jokes...I'm sure he got a few but nothing big.
    BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Nope. I woent to high school with a guy who went by BJ as a nn. He never cared and I never heard anybody crack any jokes about it.

I went to school with a BJ as well and no one made jokes.

Same here. Never heard any remarks. It wasn't a big deal.
  • I knew a few BJ's and I never heard much joking about it. I'm sure every so often they would get an "lolollol blowjob loll" from someone, but no big deal.

I have wicked humor, so I would be one to call my kid The Beej if they had BJ initials. I'm just awful.

"Your truth is different from my truth, and we're both right."

TTC since March 2013. BFP 4/13/13, blighted ovum discovered 6/6/13, m/c 6/8/13.

BFP 11/10/13, EDD 7/25/13 - stick little owlet!

BabyFruit Ticker

View Full Size Image

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• Bradley Joseph is fine. I would't call him BJ though.

• My mom's initials are BJ and I never heard any comments or associations.  Wouldn't bother me.
  • Considering my initials are BJ, and I survived just fine, I'd use the names. They have importance to you, and it's really not that big a deal, I promise
  • maybe switch it so its joseph bradley instead?

Engaged 10/2/1202
    BFP (a lil quicker than expected) 12/7/2012
    Married to my best friend 12/24/2012
    Beautiful baby girl arrived 8/15/2013
    BFP #2 3/13/2016

BabyFruit Ticker
  • If there is any chance of him going by his FN/MN initials, I wouldn't do it.
    Natural M/C 03.26.2012 at 10w2d
    Charlotte born at 28w3d due to severe IUGR on 12.24.2012 Merry Christmas!
    Missed M/C discovered 12.22.2014 at 8w1d measuring 6w3d
    2015 was a year to test strength of both body and character, but it led us to this... BFP 01.26.2016 EDD 9.30.2016
  • Lurker here...

Same here, my brother and I both have/had the initials B.J. Whenever I had to initial anything before I got married, I always included my middle initial as well. It's not that big of a deal at all. If I loved a name, I wouldn't let it keep me from using it. 

BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"