September 2014 Moms

Gender Reveal Party Advice

So my husband and I have decided to do a Gender Reveal party.. and I'm just wondering when the best time to schedule it and send out invites would be? My 13 week appointment is 03/06- so I'm looking at beginning to mid April..but I don't know when they actually schedule the ultrasound? any STM advice on how far out I should plan this party? I can't wait until april to send out invites- I feel like that would be too short of notice..but I'm just not sure the timing between my April appointment and the actual ultrasound. What do you guys think?

Re: Gender Reveal Party Advice

• Call your doc and ask when the u/s will be.  Problem solved.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker   

BabyFruit Ticker

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Your anatomy ultra sound will be around 20 weeks.  Mine is April 15.   Also just keep in mind, your baby might not want to show the goods at the appointment, what will you do then?  

• Loading the player...
  • dearfoam said:
    Be sure to plan your approach very carefully, lest this happen to you:
    https://www.cakewrecks.com/home/2014/2/19/surprise-it-a-wreck.html
    OMG that is too funny! We won't be doing a cake so I'm not too worried about that! And luckily for me I have a father who is wanting to pay for a ultrasound at a private location (already approved by the dr..) so I will have two chances of finding gender. I am going in to this praying that baby will cooperate!
  • We are planning one around 16 weeks which is when they do gender ultrasounds at my doctor. My son's was at 16 weeks and everything was correct. I figure if this baby doesn't cooperate we can just reschedule. I know I would love to go to a reveal, it's just fun getting together with friends! They are very popular right now :)

{\rtf1\ansi\ansicpg1252 {\fonttbl\f0\fswiss\fcharset0 Helvetica;} {\colortbl;\red255\green255\blue255;\red51\green51\blue51;\red255\green255\blue255;} \deftab720 \pard\pardeftab720\sl280\partightenfactor0 \f0\fs22 \cf2 \cb3 \expnd0\expndtw0\kerning0 \outl0\strokewidth0 \strokec2 Pregnancy Ticker}
    kateitho
  • call the OB and ask when the anatomy scan is.

• an02102 said:
    Your anatomy ultra sound will be around 20 weeks.  Mine is April 15.   Also just keep in mind, your baby might not want to show the goods at the appointment, what will you do then?  

This totally, wait until you get the results before you plan the party.  We did it for DS, it was great but I was already 6 months before we had the party.  Took the results right to the baker so we wouldn't be tempted to read before hand.

• I vote make it a part of a shower if someone is throwing one for you. That way it's a fun thing to add to the party.... and you won't be having too many baby centric parties and no one will get offended.

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers image
    AshleyrfilesmrsdanielleM2010Finally914
  • Just to clarify- this isn't a shower we will be throwing- just a small party for immediate family and close friends...so i'm not so worried about people being offended or not wanting to come..everyone invited is someone who would chose to be there...and not a shower, we are not expecting presents of any sort. just looking more for advice on timing!! Thanks though!
  • My mother is coming to town next month and we plan on finding out before she leaves so we can hold a bbq (which we will have even if we don't know the sex) and just adding it onto the bbq. i don't know about timing but you can do private u/s at 14 weeks but you need to schedule early. Although the farther along you are the more accurate it is.
  • You can start by telling people you will have one ahead of time, just so they are aware and expecting to attend.

And because its intimate friends and family, maybe 1-2 weeks notice is what I would shoot for. They are close to you and they will make it a priorty to come learn the big news.

Have a wonderful time, this is an awesome idea!

Finally914
  • I also plan to have one for immediate family and a few friends, I'm not going to send out invites though.. just make a FB event invite since it won't be anything formal or over the top.  Since I don't know when I'll actually have my U/S yet, I've just been telling my family that I plan on having a little get together at the house so they have an idea already.
    BabyFruit Ticker
    Ashleyrfiles
  • My two girls were moving so much that they couldn't tell me for sure with either one if I was having a girl or a boy...I think a 2 week notice for a party is sufficient...why not find out and then send the invites?
     I was thinking about this but was told by family that they will not be patient lol! (first time grandchild and my dad has already texted me every day asking what I think it is.) I do think two weeks should be plenty of time, I think that would be possible too since I should schedule the A/S at my appointment in early April! Thanks everyone for the feedback timeline wise...I hate feeling like I'm under/over preparing for stuff!!!
  • No advice on the timing, I have advice on the party. I am not against gender reveals but really don't make it a big deal. We were invited to a cousins' party and it said shower on the card and they told us where she was registered. I thought it was clever to combine the two parties. Um no. When I got to the reveal (having bought a large gift) I was told when the real shower would be. Also the couple already knew the gender and were just revealing it to us, tacky. I thought at least they didn't know either. I was pretty mad about the whole thing and since I had already bought a large gift I didn't go to the actual shower. To make it worse I was having a mmc and had a d&c scheduled for the next day. The mother had her share of trouble conceiving so I thought I could suck it up for a shower. Had I known it was only to tell us it was a girl I wouldn't have gone.

• This is my third but I really thought the gender reveal is so cute. So I'm going to try and incorporate it into my 30th bday party DH is planning. I would schedule it after you know at least which week you will be getting your 20 week anatomy.
    Pregnancy Ticker 
    DS1: 8/26/09    |    DS2: 11/1/11

May Siggy, Favorite Onscreen Mom - Sophia, Golden Girls                                                                          
    image image
  • Regardless of how you feel about gender reveal parties (I'm on the side of Miss Manners on this one) or even how you feel about Miss Manners, this is a great article with some interesting and adorable "gender reveal" ideas that aren't surrounded by a party:

Baby Zoey arrives Sep 14 2014!

• I like what @mrssparklebottom and @reverey said - have a normal get together and share the gender in a cute way that is not the point of the whole party.

imageimage

• A friend from my local group is expecting, and since everyone would be home and in town and together for Christmas, she went and did one of those oop u/s places to find out a couple weeks earlier than her a/s. She knew she couldn't keep it a secret from her family if she knew, so we wrapped up a present for them to find out all together. Then it was low key, just part of the Christmas celebration, and everyone got to find out together. 
    image        image
  • I like the shower idea, if you can wait that long. We found out with our twins at 17w. Also, bring fruit juice to the ultrasound. That fructose gets them moving around if you need them too!
    Mom to Abigail & Liliana -- Identical Twin Girls -- April 2008
    Baby #3 due September 12, 2014!

Pregnancy Ticker
    [Deleted User]
  • Just to clarify- this isn't a shower we will be throwing- just a small party for immediate family and close friends...so i'm not so worried about people being offended or not wanting to come..everyone invited is someone who would chose to be there...and not a shower, we are not expecting presents of any sort. just looking more for advice on timing!! Thanks though!
    We did exactly this for DS2 and it was a total hit.  No one brought any gifts.  We had so much fun!

My a/s was around 19-20 weeks, so I planned it the following weekend.  If the scan hadn't worked, then no biggie.  I could've easily called everyone and postponed or we would've just had a party anyway (that's the kind of family we have).  I know a lot of people are anti reveal parties, but we absolutely loved it and so did everyone that was there!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"