October 2012 Moms

Where do you donate?

I just did our taxes yesterday and was embarassed to realize we don't give enough to charity.  My DH is clueless (heartless?) about this sort of thing so I am going to research a bunch of organizations and make suggestions to him for this year.  Right now we give to Save the Children and a local domestic violence organization.  Am thinking about UNICEF as well.  Are there organizations you guys have given to that you think do a great job with their respective missions?
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Where do you donate?

• We usually donate to the children hospital here and the animal shelter

• Childrens hospitals are generally a good idea. I love St. Jude and Ronald McDonald House. RMH did great things for a friend of mine when she had to go to a different city to be with her son in the NICU.

After 7 years of no ovulation...
    BFP#1 10/24/11 ~ EDD 6/29/12 ~ Natural m/c 11/2/11
    BFP#2 2/3/12 ~ Alice born 9/26/12

Oct Angel Babies
  • Loading the player...
  • Have you guys heard of Amazon Smile? If you go to smile.amazon.com whatever you purchase on amazon donates a percentage of the purchase to a charity of your choice. I thought that was kinda cool.

• We donate quite a bit, especially through my husband's business. We try to keep our donations to local charities and hospitals, because many of the large/national charity organizations use a large percentage of their donations to pay staff and for operating costs. We find that our donations go much further locally.
    M/C #1 - BFP-1/16/08 Dx Blighted Ovum-2/4/08 D&C-2/8/08 @ 7 weeks M/C #2 - BFP-3/31/08 Early M/C-4/10/08 @ 5 weeks M/C #3 - BFP-6/31/08 Early M/C-7/13/08 @ 5.5 weeks Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • United Children's Health Care Foundation- uhccf is paying for a huge chunk or Norah's physical therapy since our shitty insurance won't pay. When this is all done, they will be getting my charity money so I can pay it forward.

Locally, my school district has a foundation to help students and their families who have financial hardships come up (cancer, accident, lost job, death, etc) so I donate there.

From our WDW vacation- June 3, 2014

DS- Wesley- March 14, 2010
    DD- Norah- September 27, 2012

• NPR, United Way, a couple local foods banks a women's shelter, a drug/alcohol treatment center, and a service for aging. I found a lot of the places through our local united way website.

way to go getting taxes done early!

• St. Jude and a Children's Heart Defect foundation. I can't remember the name of it but I chose it because they had a low admin cost percentage and B has heart defects.

• Thanks for all the awesome suggestions!
  • I'm on the board of directors for an amazing nonprofit in CA that supports families through baby loss.  We have an amazing annual walk where every single baby who is registered will have his or her name read and every parent gets a white rose... .it's an indescribable day for loss families.  We also educate hospitals on how to help women through loss, many of us had really terrible experiences in the hospitals by well meaning staff who just don't know what to do.  We also have support groups... and much more family support and events.  

Anyways... I donate to and fundraise for that. It's called OC Walk to Remember.
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers 

CafeMom Tickers

Married the love of my life 7/11/09 - Our first baby, Peyton Mark, was born sleeping 10/25/11 at 33 weeks - Our second baby, BFP 2/4/12, welcome to the world Raylan! Holy Moly, BPF 2/4/14, please be safe and sound little one!

My Blog

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"