March 2014 Moms

Large for gestational age

I had an ultrasound today to confirm that our LO was actually Large for gestational age and he is. I am 35 weeks, he's measuring 8 lb 1 oz and about 40 weeks. The doctor wasn't there for me to talk to today and the tech said she will have him call me but now I can't help but wory about him. If he's already measuring that big how is he supposed to stay in there for another 5 weeks?!?
Anyone else have experience with LGA babies?

Re: Large for gestational age

• Sizing ultrasounds can be an entire pound off.  7 lbs at 35 weeks is still a little large.....maybe your EDD was off.  I understand your worry.  It will be ok.
    Married 4-26-2011  Me 31 DH 28  
    TTC since 12/2011  
    5/4/13-IUI #1=BFN,  6/3/13-IUI #2=BFN, 7/1/2013-IUI #3=BFP!!!
    Little Man arrived 3/28/14 at 10:32pm
    9 lb 1 oz & 21 3/4 inches

• At 36 weeks my baby was already over 8 lbs (cant remember the exact number of oz) and at 38 weeks she was 9 lbs 2 oz. My doctor let me know that those numbers can be off by a pound in either direction, but my LO will be coming at 39 weeks because of her size, as well as a few other factors that don't really have to do with your situation.

I would just talk to your doctor. They will know the best course of action.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 
  • Loading the player...
  • I don't have experience with this but my cousin was induced because she was told her baby would be over 10 lbs... He was only 6 when he was born. Way off. Late ultrasounds can be really unreliable. Hope you find some peace after talking to your doctor!
  • Thanks guys. I'm thinking it may be quite accurate bc 2 weeks ago he was measuring 37 weeks when I was 33 and now 40 weeks and I'm only 35. I am looking forward to hearing from my doctor about what he's planning. I really don't want to have a c section, but as long as baby is happy and healthy I'll be ok with it!
  • I don't have experience with this but my cousin
    was induced because she was told her baby would be over 10 lbs... He was only 6 when he was born. Way off. Late ultrasounds can be really unreliable. Hope you find some peace after talking to your doctor!

I'm in the same situation right now, and this makes me feel better!

• VineyardMelVineyardMel member
    edited February 2014
    I would ask for specific measurements of the head, shoulders and abdomen. Those are a much more reliable indicator of the potential issues for vaginal birth than just weight. You could have a long skinny baby who gets a high weight estimate just because he or she has long legs. Or you could have a baby with large head and shoulders that could be more of an issue. My DD was 10lbs, 1oz born at 39wks and I'm SO glad I had a section--but I still didn't believe she's actually be as large as predicted.

ETA: we knew there was a size concern when her head measured 37wks at a 32wk u/s.
    photo d55cd10d-0c40-4454-aba7-d1fb776cb4ff_zpsd847719c.jpg

Married my love 6/11/11 | MMC 10/11/11 | Eliza Frances born 9/18/12 | Rhett Garland born 2/24/14 

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• My baby was measuring big at my 32 week u/s. I asked my doctor about what point they would push towards alternatives like a c-section, and she said they wouldn't worry about anything like that unless it appeared the baby was over 11 pounds. I'm pretty hopeful that won't be the case. I'm supposed to have a growth scan at 37 weeks, though my baby is also currently breech, so it might not even matter!

• I posted yesterday on the dumb questions thread.. My dr told me yesterday she thinks he's already 9lb at least (I am 37+4 today). She has me coming in for a weight US on Tuesday and said she wants to discuss c section if he's too big. A lot of the women that replied said it can be off by many pounds, and one of them sent me to a great website discussing babies estimated to be huge but ending up being 5-6lb (big eye opener for me). However, as PP said, my baby has also been measuring very large my entire pregnancy according to US. I have borderline GD, very small frame, and hip displasia so these are some things to consider. After these women's replies and a lot of research, I have decided that unless the US says he's at least 11lb I won't be opting for a c section. Good luck!
  • I would ask for specific measurements of the head, shoulders and abdomen. Those are a much more reliable indicator of the potential issues for vaginal birth than just weight. You could have a long skinny baby who gets a high weight estimate just because he or she has long legs. Or you could have a baby with large head and shoulders that could be more of an issue. My DD was 10lbs, 1oz born at 39wks and I'm SO glad I had a section--but I still didn't believe she's actually be as large as predicted.

ETA: we knew there was a size concern when her head measured 37wks at a 32wk u/s.

So this - the specific measurements are more important. My little (or I guess big) guy has a belly measuring in the 97 th percentile which puts him in the macrosomia category which is due to diabetes. The rest of him is measuring normally. I am doing a c section because of the GD complication plus the belly size.
    Officially started TTC January 2012
    Dx with PCOS November 2012
    2/2013 - First round of Femara - No O
    Took 2 months to get vaccinated from the chickenpox
    5/2013 - Second round Femara - No O
    6/2013 - Third round of Femara + HCG Trigger Shot = O!
    7/18/2013 - Found out I was pregnant
    Dx with Gestational Diabetes at 28 weeks
    Dx with Macrosomia at 33 weeks
    Taking Glyburide and Metformin to control GD
    Due date is March 29th but we are moving forward with a scheduled C-Section on March 25th

• I would ask for specific measurements of the head, shoulders and abdomen. Those are a much more reliable indicator of the potential issues for vaginal birth than just weight. You could have a long skinny baby who gets a high weight estimate just because he or she has long legs. Or you could have a baby with large head and shoulders that could be more of an issue. My DD was 10lbs, 1oz born at 39wks and I'm SO glad I had a section--but I still didn't believe she's actually be as large as predicted.

So this - the specific measurements are more important. My little (or I guess big) guy has a belly measuring in the 97 th percentile which puts him in the macrosomia category which is due to diabetes. The rest of him is measuring normally. I am doing a c section because of the GD complication plus the belly size.
    My boy's belly measured in the 97th percentile too and they asked me if i had gd but when i was tested i didn't. I also had high amniotic fluid which is an indication. I'm going to ask my doctor about this today

Married 11/27/09 and TTC right away
    Dx: Complete septate uterus with cervical duplication, endometrial polyps, PCOS, endometriosis, hypo thyroid, luteal phase defect
    4 uterus surgeries to correct my complete septum and to remove polyps and 2 years of seeing the RE, medicated cycles and IUIs
    Baby 1 and 2: BFP 3/3/11 with 2 babies EDD 11/1/11, M/C 4/6/11
    Baby #3: 8/11 pregnant EDD 4/27/11 and m/c:(
    Baby #4: 10/12/11 BFP! EDD 6/16/12m/c 10/26/11
    Baby #5: 3/13/12 BFP! EDD 11/25/12 ANOTHER m/c :(

Baby #6: 2/14/13- BFP! EDD 10/24/13, CP 2/19/13
    Baby #7: 3/15/13- BFP! EDD 11/27/13, another CP
    Baby #8.  BFP 5/19/13 EDD 1/22/14. 8 was not our lucky number

4th septum resection on 5/31/13.
    Baby #9: 6/29/13 BFP. C section scheduled for March 5th!

My miracle baby was born March 5 at 9:33am. He was 8 lbs 12.5 oz and 21.25 inches long!

image"">

• JKS21JKS21 member
    edited February 2014

I was told this week that my baby at 35 weeks is 7lbs. And that it can vary by a pound either way. My doc didn't seem concerned - I already have a planned C-section so it is what it is. Who knows what size the baby will really be :) 

My son was 8lb9oz about 4 days early - so I am right on track to be right around there. 

Anniversary

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFetus Tickerimage

• I had my 35 wk appt today. The OB I saw is the one who always measures my fundal height around 3 weeks ahead (at 31 weeks she measured me at 34'weeks, OB I saw at 33 weeks measured me right at 33 weeks, and today I was at 38 weeks). So they are doing a growth scan next week. I did have an NST today bc she thought she heard something on the Doppler but it was nothing and said the NST was as perfect as it could be. Only extra thing is the growth scan...

TTC #1 Since 7/2011

Me: 30, PCOS with anovulation
    DH: 38, Low Morph & DE
    Rx: Metformin 500mg

Cycle #1: Clomid 100mg + Ovidrel = No Response, Canceled
    Cycle #2: Clomid 150mg + Ovidrel = No Response, Canceled
    Cycle #3: Clomid 150mg + Follistim + Ovidrel = No response, Canceled

Cycle #4: Femara 7.5mg + Gonal-f + Ovidrel + IUI = BFP!!!!

~ EDD 03.26.14 ~

• In case you all haven't seen this, but the ACOG released new guidelines a couple days ago, trying to decrease the number of c-sections. 
    Here's a pretty good summary -
    that they don't recommend inductions for "large babies" (Macrosomia) unless the baby is estimated to be ELEVEN pounds.
    imageimage
  • I think it's much more complex than a weight estimate. And my ten pounder was ginormous--I am so glad I didn't push her out!!
    photo d55cd10d-0c40-4454-aba7-d1fb776cb4ff_zpsd847719c.jpg

Married my love 6/11/11 | MMC 10/11/11 | Eliza Frances born 9/18/12 | Rhett Garland born 2/24/14 

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Good luck and don't stress!  My 1st (DD) was 42 weeks 8lb11oz and 22.5 inches, I pushed for 15 minutes.  They estimated my 2nd (DS) to be 9lb8oz at 40 weeks and he was 10lb2oz and I pushed for 5 min.  I am 36 weeks, baby is already estimated at 8lb.  I am not worried, doc is not worried, our bodies are pretty amazing.  :-)  Also worth mentioning I am 5'9 and DH is 6'0 so we aren't extraordinarily large, I have never had GD, we just make big long babies.  
  • @lalaith50 Thanks for those links!  Seriously, I totally needed them right now.

I've been measuring ahead 3-4 by fundal height.  So we had an ultrasound yesterday and am measuring ahead about the same amount.  Estimates are that baby is 7 lbs at 35 weeks, and doc brought up potential c-section.  Not to worry about right now, but may be a possibility. I'm loving the new recommendations and they're helping me do my research and come up with my questions for the next few weeks.   
    baby boy: 3.19.2014
  • It's a huge decision to make. I'm struggling with it right now. Thoughts and prayers to you in choosing what's best for y'all!
  • I wouldn't worry; my friend was told her baby was close to 9lbs. When she delivered, her baby girl was 6.5 lbs.
  • some babies are just big...I've known women that carried to term just fine giving birth to 10lb babies.. not to say that your baby will be that big..but any DR will tell you that every woman is different,and babies can tend to vary with their growth spurts,with my high risk,at Children's,they said that they want to keep an eye on my baby's growth cause i might have a small one...1,both sides have had mostly 6 pounders,2,when i was there they told me he's 12 oz and everything i've read about babies this week,is bout 7-10 oz..i wouldnt worry,but if it makes you feel better get a hold of your DR for reassurance..good luck with everything
  • Thanks for everyone's responses! I spoke to the perinatologist on Monday and he now wants me to go for a nst test every week and have another ultrasound at 38 weeks. The doctor said my fluid levels are also high which he is concerned with. It seems neither the OB or the perinatologist foresee me having a vaginal delivery. But we shall see what the 38 week ultrasound shows I suppose.
    My doctor has never once checked my fundal height. He just goes by ultrasound.
  • I have to admit, I'm slightly jealous that all you ladies are getting scans....I only had the NT scan at 12 wk and anatomy scan at 19 weeks. Doc said I won't be getting anymore, guess I just have to be patient! Would love to have a sense of her size tho, that way I could buy more clothes :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"