September 2014 Moms

Book ladies! Opinion needed!

So I'm brainstorming to start writing a fiction novel, and am looking for ideas on what YOU like to read in a book. :)

Help me out please!
Benjamin born on - 4/5/12
BFP 12/31/14, EDD 9/08/14 ~ Natural M/C 2/21/14 at 11.5 weeks
BFP 5/24/15 - EDD 2/4/16

BabyFruit Ticker

[Deleted User]

Re: Book ladies! Opinion needed!

• I'm a big fan of dystopian novels, but those have probably reach their peak for awhile.

I like a few different character perspectives writing their own chapters (but not too many....I'm talking to you Jodi Picoult, slow down lady).

I also prefer for it to not end 'happily ever after'.
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicimage

S14 August Siggy Challenge.....ALL OF THE ALCOHOLS

bookqueen
  • carmstr4 said:
    I'm a big fan of dystopian novels, but those have probably reach their peak for awhile.

I like a few different character perspectives writing their own chapters (but not too many....I'm talking to you Jodi Picoult, slow down lady).

I also prefer for it to not end 'happily ever after'.
     I had to actually google this, lol. Love those types of books.

I agree with the character perspectives, but limited. I started reading Casual Vacancy by J.K. Rowling, and could barely read half!

And what do you prefer for a type of ending? :) I love happily ever afters, but obviously not all the time.
    BFP 5/24/15 - EDD 2/4/16

BabyFruit Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • Sometimes I like it to be just realistic, not necessarily tragic or anything.  But say, if The Notebook had ended that she stayed with the first dude she married because she made her choice already.  Or if you've ever read Gone Girl, that ending is nice lol

I really need my next class to start. Thursdays=too much bumping on my extended break.
    Pregnancy Ticker

bookqueen
  • I love creative writing, not so much reports where I have to cite things. lol. I don't have a degree but would like to freelance I suppose. I'm just really starting school now and am going for a liberal arts degree but not sure where I'm gonna go from there yet.

That's awesome @riveradove :) You gonna finish your novel?
    BFP 5/24/15 - EDD 2/4/16

BabyFruit Ticker

• it has to have some sort of suspense... or something to keep me held in the book. and if I'm not drawn in within the first 50 pages I start to bregrudgingly read the book. There was a book that I forced myself read recently that it seriously didn't pick up until the final 1/4 of the book. Too much background, not enough draw. 

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers image
    bookqueen
  • Love me some Agatha Christie mystery style. Also, dystopian sci-fi/end of the world adventure (think World War Z or Helix by JL Bryan.)
    {Me:27, Dx:PCOS, LPD, & rob(14;15)}
    {DH:31 all clear, "super sperm"}
    Ecstatically married July 30, 2011--TTC since Jan 2013:::Baby #1 due 9/11, Conceived on cycle #5 of Femara + Hcg + IUI
    ~Love and Light to everyone~ 
    image image
    My furbabies--Mr. Bubbles and Miss Kitty <3
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker  

image image
    bookqueen
  • Mystery, dystopias, (especially!) legal thrillers, sci fi, fantasy, historical fiction, the list goes on, but I'll try anything once. Sue Grafton is pretty great.
    bookqueen
  • Oh! And this may be my elementary mind, but I like decent amount of dialogue and/or first person.
    Pregnancy Ticker

bookqueen
  • reverey said:
    holy shit, @bookqueen, you write? I'm finishing my degree in creative writing now! I wrote half of a novel last semester.
    Where are you getting your degree? I have an MA in Creative Writing/Literature from Loyola Marymount. :) Creative Writing programs are no joke...VERY time consuming. Good luck to ya! :)
    I go to university of oklahoma. my degree will actually say journalism, but I'm in the professional writing track. the entire program is genre writing specific. I'm through it. I'm just finishing a couple of online elective classes now. but, god, I hated it. I didn't realize it was going to be ONLY genre fiction. I'm more into literary. I was kind of a red-headed stepchild in classes. -_-

and @bookqueen, I have NO intention of finishing that novel!! I wrote about 30,000 words and hated every single one. it was all for the reasons above. we were only allowed to write genre, and I just don't know genre fiction well enough to write it. it's a miracle I got through the program. 
    Hahaha.
    BFP 5/24/15 - EDD 2/4/16

BabyFruit Ticker

• msarvermsarver member
    edited February 2014
    DIVERGENT SPOILER ALERT SPOILER ALERT SPOILER ALERT SPOILER ALERT I LOVE historical fiction! I like endings that make sense but maybe not be predictable. However I hate when I read some book series and then they kill off a major character at the end (aka Divergent). If JK Rowling would've killed Harry Potter off I probably would've burned my house down out of sheer grief. Good luck with the writing! I'm envious of your desire and ability to write!
    BabyFetus Ticker}
    AccioPizzamrsH1112
  • @msarver Ugh. I haven't read Divergent yet...
    Pregnancy Ticker

bookqueen
  • carmstr4 said:
    @msarver Ugh. I haven't read Divergent yet...
    Oh God sorry! It's a good series and I'm hoping the movie is awesome.
    BabyFetus Ticker}
  • msarver said:
    carmstr4 said:
    @msarver Ugh. I haven't read Divergent yet...
    Oh God sorry! It's a good series and I'm hoping the movie is awesome.
    You are forgiven. I'll still read it, don't worry.
    Pregnancy Ticker

• bookqueenbookqueen member
    edited February 2014
    msarver said:
    I LOVE historical fiction! I like endings that make sense but maybe not be predictable. However I hate when I read some book series and then they kill off a major character at the end (aka Divergent). If JK Rowling would've killed Harry Potter off I probably would've burned my house down out of sheer grief. Good luck with the writing! I'm envious of your desire and ability to write!
    I probably would have burned my house down too if they killed off Harry Potter..favorite books ever. And you ruined Divergent for me too :( It's in my book list..
    BFP 5/24/15 - EDD 2/4/16

BabyFruit Ticker

• @msarver - you should really take the spoiler out of your post... or at least do a SPOILER ALERT. the last book hasn't even been out that long. Just saying.

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers image
    bookqueen[Deleted User]
  • @bookqueen, just want to say good luck with you u/s!! Today, yes?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"