Trouble TTC
Options

Influenza and IUI

KissmarkKissmark member
edited February 2014 in Trouble TTC
Okay so I'm about to ovulate but DH came down with a bad case of flu :( Now I'm sick as well, but i think just common cold. 
We had scheduled IUI on Friday, should we go ahead with it? DH thinks it's a waste of money when we are both not in our best condition. But I think since DH is not well, then we could use a bit more help (for example they will wash his sperm, etc).
Any advice? Should we just cancel and give up on this cycle? or go with the plan?
I was also given some antibiotics for the cold, Cefditoren, pregnancy category B, should I not take it?

By the way it costs about 200 dollars for the procedure. This is our 2nd time, first time failed. 
Me: 38, DH: 41
TTC#2 since Feb 2013
10/13: 1st IUI, BFN
02/14: 2nd IUI, BFN
03/14: HSG done, found out right tube is slightly blocked
04/14: 3rd IUI, BFN
05/14: 4th IUI, BFN
07/14: IVF no. 1, BFN
11/14: IVF no. 2, BFP

Pregnancy Ticker

Re: Influenza and IUI

• Options
    I would call your RE and ask.  If he has diagnosed influenza (and not just a nasty cold or a stomach bug - not sure what you mean by flu), they may have some thoughts on that.  A cold shouldn't affect an IUI.

I'm not a doctor or anything, but antibiotics won't help your cold.  Colds and flu are caused by viruses (rhinovirus and influenza respectively) and antibiotics are designed to kill bacteria.  Antibiotics won't touch a virus.  Unless you have a sinus or lung infection secondary to your cold (which are often caused by bacteria), the best the antibiotics will do is give you some diarrhea, making you even more miserable.  But again, not sure why your doctor prescribed them.

And both of you should be getting a flu shot.  Studies are starting to show that when pregnant women are infected with with influenza and have not had a flu shot, there are measurable negative effects on the fetus.
    Baby girl N born 10/29/14!

**Follow your heart, but take your brain with you**

• Options
    Love4Science. I just came back from the doctor's and we went ahead with the IUI. He said that influenza does not effect fertility so it's okay. As for antibiotics, it's more for my throat which seemed to have an infection from the cold and I couldn't stop coughing. My RE said it's also okay to take antibiotics during IUI. In fact he prescribes it to patients after IUI to prevent infection, so this time RE didn't prescribe any to me and told me to just continue to take the one for my throat. 
    And yes, I did get a flu shot, but DH didn't.
    Me: 38, DH: 41
    TTC#2 since Feb 2013
    10/13: 1st IUI, BFN
    02/14: 2nd IUI, BFN
    03/14: HSG done, found out right tube is slightly blocked
    04/14: 3rd IUI, BFN
    05/14: 4th IUI, BFN
    07/14: IVF no. 1, BFN
    11/14: IVF no. 2, BFP

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Glad you went ahead with it!  Hope this is your cycle!
    Baby girl N born 10/29/14!

**Follow your heart, but take your brain with you**

• Options
    Good luck and FX! I caught a bad cold the day after my IUI last cycle, the only sucky part was avoiding cold meds. 
    Me: 40, Hypothyroidism, well managed, TSH 1.99
    DH: 44 Fine except for low morphology
    TTC since 02/2013  
    08/13: Day 3 tests (ESTRADIOL 20.8; AMH 1.1; FSH 6.2)
    12/13 HSG, all clear
    11/13-5/14 - IUIs #1-3, BFNs, 
    6/14 to present: Taking a break, getting healthier, researching IVF
    Planning for IVF in late summer 2015

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"