January 2014 Moms

Burping logistics

If your LO falls asleep nursing on 2nd side do you burp? It seems to wake DD up. She's really gassy though so I'm afraid not to. I'm trying to get motn nursing session down from 2 hours.

Re: Burping logistics

• Yes, I only nurse on one side because of supply. She falls asleep as I just do my best to burp her while asleep. I also give her gas drops before the feeding a night only. Otherwise she won't sleep well. She will not wake up bit she will be squirming an grunting because of the gas and she won't sleep as long.

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• I don't really burp in the middle of the night. I will put her up yo my shoulder and soothingly rub or pat her back. Generally speaking, your baby should be calmer during night feelings and inhale less air. (In a perfect world of course)
    photo e2fe0839-b11a-41d8-8a07-1ef481a55d67_zpsda9c0f6f.jpg photo 777c55cb-e377-4070-950b-fdeda172a809_zpscd40251a.jpg IMG_15901 photo IMG_15901.jpg
  • Loading the player...
  • Naw, only when I switch sides, but not after we're done.
  • I keep her over my shoulder for a good 20 minutes because she gets really gassy. I try to burp her though and sometimes I'll get a little one out.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Like PPs, I put him on my shoulder and rub/pat his back for about 15-20 minutes because he has been really gassy.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers

BFP #1 8/1/11, MMC 10/5/11, D&C 11/1/11
     BFP #2 5/28/13, EDD 1/17/14. Elliott - 12/31/13
  • If he has had a full feeding I always burp him, but burping him seems to put him to sleep (gentle back pats while leaning his head on my shoulder).  If he has just comfort nursed and only got a little bit then I don't bother burping.  Usually in the process of me getting up from nursing him and walking him over to the swing to put him down to sleep in he will burp himself.  
    image image

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I will very gently but DD often burps while eating. It's a bit strange but whatever works.
    imageimageimage
  • DD loves being burped so I do because it doesn't jolt her awake or anything. She is very rarely uncomfortable because of gas but she gulps/chokes frequently even when she's not eating so I feel bad if I DON'T burp her. Inevitably she will gulp and wake herself up about 15 min after eating if I don't.

She also takes in quite a bit of air sometimes and I have a forceful let down. Now that she's sleeping such a long first stretch at night (7-8 hrs) she wakes up HUNGRY.

Married: 9.22.12 - DD: 1.7.14 - EDD 2: 10.30.17 - J14 OG
  • I am still figuring out the best way to do this. I feed on one side, and he usually falls asleep. I wake him up and burp while I carry him to get his diaper changed. Then nurse on the other side. If he falls asleep right away I dont burp him. Only if he nurses for a while do I burp again. I will just put him really high on my shoulder for a minute. That gets some air out usually.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"