Breastfeeding

Positive Breastfeeding Experiences

A week or so ago someone (I don't remember who or on which thread) commented that this board is mostly used for help with breastfeeding problems, but we rarely share positive experiences. Who has good stories to share to encourage others?
Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
Parent of Baby Boy M, born December 2013 Angels: Miscarriage @ 9 weeks, May 2015, Chemical Pregnancy November 2015

Lilypie Maternity tickers

Re: Positive Breastfeeding Experiences

• Loading the player...
  • I had an opportunity to breastfeed in the first hour of my son's life. The nurse who helped me through the delivery commented that he had a perfect latch. My husband, mother, and mother in law were all there to support me, although only MiL knew anything about breastfeeding.

I was hospitalized for 2 days and 3 nights. During that time, we were observed by 5 different nurses with LC training plus the head lactation consultant. She was hands on, helping with latch and various positions. (Although his initial latch was good,mi had trouble positioning him properly, partly because each breast is larger than his head.)

My husband's extended family is very supportive. When visiting, they offer a private place but welcome our presence in the midst of the family gathering while the baby eats. My family is less supportive. They are uncomfortable if we aren't completely covered and don't see the point of nursing past 6 months. I have 1 cousin who isn't like that, but she's the only family member I know of since our great grandmothers who breastfeeds.

My son last 7 ounces between his birth and they day my milk came in. Since then, he has gained about an ounce a day. The pediatrician never suggested supplementing, not even when treating his newborn jaundice. 

I have been discouraged at times, such as during growth spurts when it seems he's at my breast 23 hours a day. My husband has been excellent support at those times, telling me I am doing the most important job in the world for our son. My biggest problem has been trying to pump for a small emergency stash of milk. I'm not too concerned though because I won't return to work until after my son is 6 months, which is my EBF goal. I hope to continue past that point.

My favorite breastfeeding moments are the happy smile my son makes as he's about to latch on (he also crunches up half his face in the cutest way), and the time he managed to latch on to his daddy's nipple. I'm unsure which of them was more upset or confused at that.
    Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
    Parent of Baby Boy M, born December 2013 Angels: Miscarriage @ 9 weeks, May 2015, Chemical Pregnancy November 2015

Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • My son is 8 months and I'm still EBF.  We had a VERY rocky start!  He wasn't gaining weight fast enough and fell completely off the growth chart.  He is growing great now and well over the 25th percentile.

I never thought I would be able to keep BFing after going back to work (he was 4 months old when I went back FT) since pumping was so hard in the beginning.
  • jennypenny*jennypenny* member
    edited February 2014
    This weekend I went out to dinner at a nice restaurant with my mom, 10yr old niece and mh. My lo was hungry when our dinner came out, so I nursed him, uncovered while we all ate. My lo is 3.5 months old. It left me feeling so confident and in control. I am glad we have gotten to this place. I never thought we would be in synch enough to nip.
  • I bf my oldest for 20mo. It was a wonderful experience :)

I'm currently BFing my 7.5mo old twins and still going strong!

My milk takes a very long time to come in - 5 days both times. My oldest was jaundice and it took a long time to clear prob partly bc my milk was so slow to really come in. The twins were in the NICU and I didn't get to meet them for 13 hours after they were born. I had to supplement w them for 10 days until my milk caught up with their demand.

Despite those early challenges, BFing has been a very positive experience that I really do love.

• My first baby was born at 30w 5d. I managed to pump and feed her for 3 months before she latched and fed from me. It was extremely tiring and challenging, but I kept up with it. I was so tired that I was ready to give up bfing... I used to pump for 40 mins, feed her for 40 mins and sleep for 40 mins before she would wake up to eat again. I pumped at work and she was fed bm at home. She bfed for 13 months before she self weaned. I had to throw away a deep freezer full of milk! I think all that effort and pumping was worth it. She is a healthy 4 yr old.

My second baby was born at 35w 3d. Spent 3 days in the NICU. Was on formula for one day till my milk came in and she has been bfing ever since (wont take a bottle). Hoping to get to one year with her as well. She smiles at me when she is done feeding and I love looking at her happy little face!

• I can't even start to quantify everything we've been through. But ultimately we are still nursing at almost 8 months. And no desire to quit anytime soon.

It's such a blessing to be able to provide for him in this way. And I owe a lot to the support of my DH, LCs, my mom. And all the other women who've shown me it's possible - through this forum and IRL.

Every woman's story is slightly different and beautiful. I absolutely love reading everyone's journey!
  • I don't breast feed but do EP and have had a positive experience. About 2 weeks after my twins were born I got mastasis and until the twins were 5 months old the mastasis repeated 7 times. I was on an antibiotic for 10-14 days each time and then it would go away and come back most of the time a week or so later. I was constantly trying new antibiotics and always having to go into the doctors to get checked out again and again. I lived in fear of mastasis and it was so discouraging. With a very supportive DH, and great doctor that encouraged and supported me I am so happy that I didn't give up pumping. Mastasis has not been in our lives for 4.5 months after a lot of trial and error with different breast pads, bras, antibiotics, cleaning supplies, etc. Although I stopped breast feeding (it was so painful with mastasis and I didn't like the idea that my babies could be getting clumpy/bloody milk with me not seeing all the milk) I still feel good that I am giving my twins the best milk I can.

• i think breastfeeding just gets easier and more rewarding as time goes on. it's such a sweet time for bonding, and a great way to comfort your LO when they are sick or upset. i definitely had a hard time at the beginning, but i am so glad i stuck with it. it's a nice way to reconnect with my DS when i come home from work each day.
  • I am EBF my twin boys who are now 3.5 months old. Watching them go from their lowest weights of 2 and 3 pounds now up to 8.11 and 10 pounds all because of me has been amazing. Also watching them hold hands while they feed, and the smiles I get when they are getting full bellies. The hard work I have put in makes me feel so beyond proud of myself as it's been really hard with all the issues we have had. Plus I'm doing better with the twins than I did with my singleton!

Together 6 wonderful years.
    TTC #1 18 months 1 loss DX unexplained IF-- BFP July 2009-- ITS A BOY
    TTC #2 3 years and 3 losses DX PCOS -- BFP April 2013-- TWIN BOYS!
    ~DS1-Feb 2010~ 
    ~DS2&3- Nov 2013  {7 weeks early}~ TTC #4~
  • I've had a really easy time breastfeeding. There was maybe a tiny bit of adjustment pain early on, and I dealt with an oversupply/overactive letdown/constant leaking/spraying for a few months, but basically, breastfeeding has been a wonderful and natural and easy experience. I don't talk about it much because so many women struggle and I hate to sound brag-y, but it's nice for women to know that it's possible to breastfeed exclusively without dealing with latching issues, supply issues, pain, mastitis, clogged ducts, cracked/bleeding nipples, thrush, baby weight gain issues, etc etc. Breastfeeding is wonderful, so convenient and totally worth it, even if those issues do crop up, but they're not a guarantee! 

#1 7/2013
    #2 3/2015
    #3 3/2017
    #4 10/2019
  • My first child was extremely challenging and was never successfully BF.

I was so determined to make it work with my second baby girl.  She came out and latched right on and didn't let go for what seemed like about 5 weeks.  She's gained weight great, we've bonded great and she's still nursing nearly 10 months later.  It makes me so happy to have been successful the second time around.  She was also my VBAC baby and she proved to me that my body can do everything it was meant to do.

• I had some of the common minor difficulties in the beginning (though nothing seemed minor at the time for this new mama!) but we hit a stride around 6 weeks or so. Since then it's been so easy and rewarding. We are still nursing at 23 mo and I love it. On Monday he was so excited when I got home and we made our way to the couch to nurse, he was just giggling with joy. :)
  • In the very beginning, I could not imagine what the LC and nurses were talking about, BF being enjoyable and intimate.  About 2 months in, it clicked in, it is intimate sharing. I do love feeling I can provide what she needs and watching her have that satisfied smile when she pops off. Now I look forward to our quiet nursing time together, and I will miss it when it's all over (wean). Hopefully we will have many more months before that.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • I've been struggling with BF my twins from the very beginning.  Just last week, I completed a feeding without the use of a nipple shied.  Though it seems like such a small thing to some, for me this is a huge victory.  It's so easy to get discouraged.  Reading your stories gives me something to aspire to.  You all give me hope for the future!
  • I bf my daughter for 14 months. I loved the precious time with her, especially now as I see her rambunctious little 2 yo self who will barely slow down for me.

We had a great start to bf'ing (even though separated for 3-4 hours after delivery). There was some pain, but it lessened. I was lucky to have very few issues and was really able to enjoy the experience and even donate some breastmilk.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers 
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • We had a slightly rocky start, and intermittent rough patches where I have thought about stopping. But so glad I have not let myself as I love the quiet time I get when nursing him. After coming home from work and getting to nurse and snuggle him is great. We have made it 5 months and am hoping for a year like I had with my first.
  • I treasure the time I spent breastfeeding and my son did too. It's a bond that only I could share with him. I had to quit (yesterday in fact was my last day) due to medical issues and it's completely devastated me. It made me really stop and reflect, every moment I'd secretly feel too tired to get up or get frustrated that I was too busy to nurse him, I should have been treasuring. It goes by fast in the grand scheme of things, so take a deep breath, look at your beautiful baby and know what a precious gift breastfeeding is for both of you, nutritionally and emotionally.
    Sept 2013 started TTC#2 (never got PP period so hoping for the first egg to drop)
    Jan 2014 - diagnosed POF (Premature Ovarian Failure) and told pregnancy not possible without egg donor because my ovaries would never function again with my hormone levels (FSH 136, LH 98.6, AMH <.03, estradiol 0, HCG 7) - using acupuncture, chiropractic care and TCM herbs / supplements
    March 11, 2014 ovulated despite every doctors prognosis!!!
    Oct 2014 hormones (FSH 48, Estradiol 89, HCG 1) not good, but heckuva lot better!

Nov. 16, 2015 FET of single adopted 5AA embryo - BFN
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Read all about my TCC Journey here in my Blog Taking Back My Ovaries
  • Kiddo is 22 months and we're still nursing. We were lucky to have a fairly easy start and extremely supportive husband and workplace. I returned to work at 8 months and due to a really supportive workplace, I was able to pump and keep up my supply for the full year. 10 months later and we're still nursing twice a day. I love it for the brief bit of cuddle time I still get even though some of the sessions are more gymnursitics sessions. Kiddo is so independent now, nursing is the one time I get some cuddles during the day.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"