Miscarriage/Pregnancy Loss

Cytotec vs D&C?

I'm 99% certain that my current pregnancy is going to end up in a miscarriage.  I will find out tomorrow via u/s for sure.  I had a natural miscarriage with my previous failed pregnancy but am unwilling to wait this time around.  Do you have any advice as to whether Cytotec or D&C is preferred?  With Cytotec, how long does the bleeding typically last...does it typically last longer than with a D&C?  TIA...this is a difficult time and a tough decision.  Any experiences you are willing to share would be much appreciated.

Re: Cytotec vs D&C?

• I went with d&c because I didn't want to anxiously wait for my body to pass it and not know when. The procedure was simple. Came in, put me out, woke up with some cramps. Day of I bled some .. And today I have no bleeding and no pain. To each his own but I feel the other route when have been too emotional and painful .
  • Also I don't know if you've been I'm this situation or not before but sometimes people don't pass everything and have to get a d&c anyways... I can only talk from a d&c perspective tho since that's all I've had done
  • Loading the player...
  • I've had 2 D&Cs because my hormone levels were still rising and even if I waited I could have ended up needling a.D&C because of how far along I was if I did not pass everything. It allowed me more control over the situation. Both times I have had on and off bleeding for almost 2 weeks. Though much of that was spotting.

BFP #1: 8/17/13     Due Date: 4/26/14      MMC discovered @ 9w 4d       D&C: 10/2/13
    BFP #2: 12/23/13       Due Date: 9/6/14      MMC discovered @ 8w 5d    D&C: 2/6/14
    BFP #3 8/26/14     Due Date: 5/7/15  

imageimage

• I think it may depend on how far along you are. I had a missed miscarriage at 13 weeks and wasn't given the option of a medical miscarriage. My OB wanted me in a controlled environment. She had me take cytotec the night before my D&C (she said it would help to soften my cervix) and it was horrific. I was up all night with awful diarrhea and pretty bad cramps.

I don't know if you would bleed longer with D&C vs. cytotec. My D&C was Friday and I'm still bleeding like a normal period, but I just had spotting yesterday.

Good luck with your decision. Things like this are never easy.

TTC since May 2013
    BFP #1 11/22/13 EDD 7/31/14
    MMC 13 weeks - discovered 2/13/14 at 16 weeks - Trisomy 13 - D&C 2/14/14
    BFP #2 10/9/14 EDD 6/22/15
    ~Everyone is welcome~
  • Everyone is different. I started bleeding at almost 11 weeks Dec 4th, turns out I had a blighted ovum (6 weeks). We tried to let it play out but the bleeding got worse so on the 13th I took Misoprostol (same as crytotec from what I understand) and I was prepared for horrific cramping and all of the other mentioned side effects and I had nothing. The bleeding slowed down to almost none existent over Christmas and then BAM first week of January I started bleeding heavily again. We initially thought it was AF but nope, my hcg levels still hadn't dropped to 0; I had a mild infection. I bled all of the rest of January (under the care of an OB as crazy as that sounds) and finally Feb 6 I had a D&C. BEST DECISION I MADE. I felt better immediately after my d&c. I bled very lightly for 1 week, hcg is below 1. Tomorrow is the end of my tww and I just had a positive OPK! 

If I had to do it again I probably would have tried it on my own for a maximum of 2 weeks and if my hcg was dropping VERY quickly I would definitely do the d&c. I'm not pro-surgery and there are certainly risks involved, but dragging it out certainly has effected my mental well being.

Best of luck and do what feels right ((HUGS)) 

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

BFP#1 Oct/19/13, EDD June/27/14, MC began Dec/4/13 at 10w5d, sac measured 6w1d - blighted ovum, Misoprostol Dec/13/13 - nothing, bleeding, slow declining HCG, D&C Feb/6/14, HCG <1 Feb/18/14

Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"