January 2014 Moms

Memory/Keepsake Box for LO

Has anyone purchased or made one of these?  I want a place to keep various cards and other items for Noah beyond what will be in his baby book.  I found this awesome shop on Etsy that does custom paintings to have something like this made (for $265) but I know DH is NOT going to be pleased especially now that I'm into my unpaid part of FMLA.
What have you ladies done for saving keepsakes for your babies?

imageimageimage

Re: Memory/Keepsake Box for LO

• When DD was born DH's aunt gave us a box full of quilts. I used that box to keep her stuff in. It has baby shower stuff, cards, stuff from the hospital, etc in it.

I want to do the same for DS, but I haven't found a box yet. So far all of his stuff is in his dresser.
  • I hadn't thought of this but I really like the idea!

DH is a carpenter and Mom is a painter so I might see if I can get them to make something between them.
  • Loading the player...
  • I scrapbook so most of that stuff will go in her album. I generally don't keep cards unless there's a special note or some sentimental reason.
    imageimageimage
  • I should start thinking about this. I would make my own, though. I wouldn't spend that kind of money for a box, TBH. To each her own, though.
  • Some of DS1's keepsakes are in his baby book, like ultrasound pics, shower invites, hospital band. Other bigger items will go into a Rubbermaid container. So far just his coming home outfit, hospital hat, and his first pair of walking shoes. Oh, and likely some of his "art" but I will have to be more selective. So far I've saved all of it.

Will likely do the same for DS2.
  • I have their stuff in patterned boxes I got from hobby lobby.

• I have their stuff in patterned boxes I got from hobby lobby.

This.
    Also-I'm with @peanutmuse I'd never spend that kind of money for the box... Unless there were some kickass shoes inside. (And even that is questionable.)

Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic

Married: 4/2/13

DS born 12/19/13

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• DS's stuff is in a Tupperware container so I'll probably do the same for DD.
  • jblank03jblank03 member
    edited February 2014
    I should start thinking about this. I would make my own, though. I wouldn't spend that kind of money for a box, TBH. To each her own, though.
    I've been thinking about how I can make my own... Surely I could find a plain wooden box for no more than $20 and it's just a matter of my very questionable creative skills to do the painting.  I do have a good friend who is very creative and made some artwork for the nursery, maybe I can ask her :) 

We also have a baby book that has things like his birth announcement, footprints, etc, I was thinking this would be for things that really didn't fit in there.  Most cards I throw away but there are a couple people wrote long, very sweet messages in that I want to keep in a better place than in a stack on my dresser!

Great to hear what other mommas use - thanks!!

imageimageimage
  • I'm doing this with the cards https://allendesigns.typepad.com/blog/2011/01/love-those-picture-christmas-cards.html and I made a shadow box with everything from the hospital (hat, blanket etc.)

Missing Our July Sparkler
    BFP#1-11/12/12, MMC 1/16/13-baby stopped growing @ 9wks, found out at 13wks, D&E 1/25/13
    BFP#2-4/23/13 EDD-01/02/14 baby BOY born 12/31/13 Michael Cameron <3

• July 2015 Jan Siggy Challenge: Snow Fails/Funnies

BFP #5 11/15/14, Team Green EDD 7/22/15

BFP #4 4/30/13, baby girl born med-free Jan. 2014

BFP #3 9/24/12, Missed m/c at 9w1d (baby measured 8w5d)

BFP #2 9/23/10, healthy baby girl born med-free June 2011

BFP #1 5/21/10, Missed m/c at 10w4d (baby measured 8wks), D&C 6/29/10

"Life is like a camera, just focus on what's important and capture the good times, develop from the negatives and if things don't work out, just take another shot."

• I'm making a shadow box of his journey through the nicu. My husbands going to build one and I'm going to design the inside.
    image image
    Married 8/9/13
    Ashton James Rogers 10/29/13

image  image
  • You could also paint/stain the box and apply a "wall" decal to it. My duster gave us a super cute one that says "grow strong" with an image of a tree. We applied it to the headboard of his crib, but it would fit well on a box like this too. It was $9 from Etsy.
    Ashley, FTM, Age 31, Southern California
    Jude Meyer was born January 12, 2014, at 21 inches, 7lb, 8oz.

image imageimage
  • Thanks everyone!  Some great ideas :)  :)

imageimageimage
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"