Baby Showers

A14 thank you card discussion, WDYT?

A14 is at it again, this time regarding whether it is rude to have your shower guests address their own thank you notes. In this case, the pre addressed envelopes are entered into raffle. Pretty much every person in that thread thinks it is completely acceptable.

Personally, I feel it is lazy to not address your own thank you cards. Yes, it's a pain. I would rather not do it. But my guests took the time to buy me a thoughtful gift and come to my shower, so I feel the least I could do is address my own thank you cards.

WDYT?

https://forums.thebump.com/discussion/12257782/tackiest-idea-i-ve-heard-of-yet

Re: A14 thank you card discussion, WDYT?

• Unacceptable.

BFP 1- EDD 2/09/11 Missed MC DX @11 weeks D&C- 7/25/10 BFP 2- EDD 12/22/11 Natural MC @ 5w 2d BFP 3- EDD 1/25/12 DD Josephine born 1/16/12

Lilypie - (TUWi)

• Loading the player...
  • I just don't get it. Didn't the person who hosted the shower send out invitations? Because if they did, they must have all the addresses. So why would you need a guest to fill out an envelope with their address? Why wouldn't the host just give the MTB the address list? I'm so confused.
    That's what I don't get either!
  • I went to a shower once that had us address our own thank you notes. Everyone was disgusted by how tacky it was. Honestly, how lazy can you be?
    Anniversary 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • When the ladies at my church threw me a shower and asked the attendees to address their own envelopes, I was appalled. These women had lovingly bought me gifts and come to my shower and now were being asked to take part in my thanking them? I hand-delivered most of them anyway, and one of the ladies admitted being a bit confused for a second when I handed it to her--"how did you get an envelope with my handwriting on it? Oh yeah, the shower." I was mortified.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I don't get how LAZY people can be.  You can't take 30 seconds to write a freakin' address on an envelope?  What's next?  Asking people to bring stamps and write their own TY note?  TACKY!

My shower was on a Saturday.  That Monday, every single TY card was written, addressed, stamped and mailed.  I had to send out over 40 cards (some people who hadn't been invited to the shower chose to send along gifts anyway, which was totally unexpected and generous).  It took me 2 hours or less to do it all.  It really wan't that big a deal.

There are ZERO excuses for not addressing the TY card envelopes yourself.  There are ZERO ways to get around the tackiness of asking your guests to do it.  Your hostess(es) should have all of the addresses for everyone - after all, they DID send out invitations, did they not?

Don't tempt them. And, yes, I have heard of people being asked to write what their gift was and put it in the self addressed envelope.

TTC #1 since 11/2012
    Me-31, H-27
    **Loss 1-Cycle 7(June 2013) at 5w6d-CP**Loss 2-Cycle 11(October 2013) at 5w4d-CP**
    **Loss 3-Cycle 14 (January-February 2014)-M/C dx 2/10, EP dx 2/24, MTX 2/25**
    Beta Hell--hCG finally down to 0 - 6/20/14
    SA normal. Genetic testing normal. Hormonal testing normal.
    HSG 6/30/14 - found blocked left tube and 2 'bubbles' on uterine wall.
    Hysteroscopy/Lap--8/4/14 - Tubes unblocked. Polyps removed from uterine wall. Septum removed.
     9/30/14--Off the bench! Unmedicated TI through December 2014
    BFP 12/14/14!!! Beta #1, 12/16: 990 Beta #2, 12/18: Over 2000! Beta #3, 12/22: over 8000!
     U/S #1, 12/23: gestational sac, possible heartbeat
    U/S #2, 12/30: HEARTBEAT! 128bpm, measuring right on at 7w EDD: 8/19/2015
    U/S #3, 1/9: BPM in the 180s, IT'S HAPPENING!!!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Gross. I'm not surprised.
    BabyFruit Ticker Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • Kimbus22 said:
    Every time I see an April14 thread, I'm relieved I didn't get KU a few weeks earlier.  What the hell people?

You're telling me. I'm missing that shit show by one day!
    Anniversary 
  • Empireceo said:
    Kimbus22 said:
    Every time I see an April14 thread, I'm relieved I didn't get KU a few weeks earlier.  What the hell people?

You're telling me. I'm missing that shit show by one day!
    Two days for me... we better keep our fingers crossed that these kids don't come early! 
    BabyFetus Ticker

image image image
  • Being asked to address your own thank you card is not something I would want for the guests attending. I believe the recipient of the gifts should take care of writing the thank you's including addressing them.
    photo maymommy2014.jpg
    BabyFruit Ticker

• NerdyLucy said:

Ugh.  It seems I've had to write my own name and address on envelopes for the last three showers I've gone to, both baby and wedding/household/bridal.  The effort for me to do it is minimal, and I don't mind that, but that could easily be turned around on the host or mother-to-be.

Do I think it's tacky as hell? Yes.

Do I usually go along with it anyway? Yep. Everyone always seems to think they're so incredibly clever to have thought of the idea, so I just stay silent and try not to say anything that might embarrass anyone.  I always tell myself that they probably don't know better.

Yeah, my SIL was going on about how great of an idea it was when they did it at her shower and how she thought I should do it at mine. I think I said something noncommittal like, "Oh, I don't mind addressing the envelopes myself," while thinking, "hell to the no!"

Side note: I hope people remember that when etiquette is breached, it's not always the honoree's fault; often the host is the one who breaches etiquette. My shower host did the books as card thing. My mother mentioned the host told her she would do it, and I told my mother I didn't think it was a good idea. It still was done, though. I hope people don't think I was the one being tacky because I tried to stop it!
  • I think it's super rude. Is it the worst breach of etiquette? No...but it's super rude. The MTB gets to look gracious by making it obvious she's going to be sending thank you notes, but at the same time, does it with minimal effort on her own part. To be fair, i think hostesses hae truly pure motives for wanting to help the MTB, but are ill-advised in the execution.

• jess9802 said:
    It's so sad that people equate basic etiquette, like writing a thank you note, with big-haired pearl clutching prudish Southern women. (Not that there's anything wrong with having big hair, pearls, or being Southern.) This attitude encourages greediness and entitlement. It's gross.

Someone who takes the time and money to buy you a gift and attend a party in your honor deserves the courtesy of a short thank you note that you, the recipient, have taken the time to write and address yourself. It's not an old-fashioned custom. Being pleasant and gracious never goes out of style.

Understanding basic etiquette is about knowing how to make other people feel appreciated for their efforts. Some people may not be bothered by the lack of a thank you, but I would bet lots of money that they wouldn't be offended by getting one. But there are still plenty of people out there who would be offended to not get one. Err on the side of caution.

Jess always says it best!
    BabyFruit Ticker Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • I'm not huge on traditional etiquette in a lot of cases, but this does seem a bit lazy. Maybe I'm weird but I actually like addressing envelopes! It's fun to get mail with a handwritten address and having it in your own writing would kind of take away from that. Also I think Facebook invites are for college parties, not baby showers, so that does seem a bit tacky. But I'm also really big on doing what works for you and your circle of family and friends instead of following some arbitrary guidelines set and followed by strangers, so to each her own! One person's tacky might be another person's treasure, haha
    image          image

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"