Preemies

Flu booster

Our LO had his first flu shot on Dec 30 at his 6 month checkup, so we were told to wait at least 30 days to get his booster. We went in yesterday to have him weighed for his 5th (last) Synagis shot and I asked if they could give his flu booster at the same time. They informed me they were out of flu shots and will not be getting any more this season. The nurse said I can take him to a retail store to have it done (Walgreen's, Target, etc) but to me that seems like I'm putting him in harms (germs) way just to try and get his shot. We have never taken him to a retail store for fear of getting him sick. We rarely take him anywhere but to the doctor for checkups. She also said we could wait until next year and just get him two doses at that point. What would you do?
Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

imageimageimage

Pregnancy #1 EDD 1/20/13, D&C for unexplained miscarriage at 12w
Pregnancy #2 EDD 8/28/2013, Carson was born on 6/28/2013 at 31w - spent 37 days in the NICU

Re: Flu booster

• Hmm, tough one. I don't think I'd go retail. Does your DS have a pulmonologist? 

Our Angel Patricia born sleeping 3/30/12 at 31 weeks
    Our Fighter Anna born early 1/8/13 at 26 weeks
    Hoping to bring home #3 due 9/9/15
  • that's a tough call.

I'm a germ freak, but I would be more concerned since flu season is still in full swing and one year DH brought home H1N1 from work, even though I'm a SAHM. That was the one year I didn't make it in to get my flu shot and I've never been so sick in my entire life.

In the area I'm in, there seems to be an urgent care or walk in clinic on almost every corner. That being said, in the retail sense, I would probably get the booster now, but as soon as the pharmacy or clinic opened and keep my LO covered somehow. Like, I would maybe go to my CVS minute clinic since it's a much smaller store than the Super Target where there is a potential of greater germ exposure.
    Some urgent cares/ walk in clinics will not treat a patient under the age of 18 months.
     It also depends on your insurance. My BCBS plan will not cover injections given by a pharmacist; I have to take my family to the clinic where a Nurse Practitioner or higher level medical professional administers the injection.
    Call ahead to confirm your baby isn't too young, and try to be the first person there.

curious to see what others think!

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers  image

Lilypie - (9CKY)Lilypie - (xzY1)

• Loading the player...
  • No, we just have our pediatrician at the Army hospital. No other doctors.

imageimageimage

Pregnancy #2 EDD 8/28/2013, Carson was born on 6/28/2013 at 31w - spent 37 days in the NICU
  • We had to move in between first shot and booster ... so new pedi, etc... I can't think of any other option right now. And I'm really not comfortable taking him into either a retail setting or a walk-in. They're both going to have germs and sick people. I feel like I'm putting him in harms way to maybe avoid it later. Ugh!!! This sucks.

imageimageimage

• We went in for his last Synagis shot today and they've worked out a deal where we can go to the health dept for $20. I think that will be better. They gave me an Rx for it too. I'm going to call them and see how it works there. They told me to wait a week since he just got Synagis. Does that sound right?

imageimageimage

• I'm glad you were able to get the booster for him. The flu is going nuts this year :/ DS got his Synagis and flu shots on the same day but I don't think waiting a week will be too harmful since you guys don't go out a ton anyway. Just make sure you get it ASAP! Good luck!

I'm not new. I just hate The Bump. 

• LucyRicardo3LucyRicardo3 member
    edited February 2014
    I didn't even think about the health dept! YAY!

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers  image

Lilypie - (9CKY)Lilypie - (xzY1)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"