1st Trimester

Driving myself crazy worrying about the possibility of a chemical pregnancy!

I have had 7 positive pregnancy tests 7 days in a row.  I am in my fifth week; my period is only 5 days late, so I am worried this could potentially still be a chemical pregnancy.  I have never had any in the past (that I know of) or any miscarriages in the past.  I have gotten some pregnancy symptoms: bloating, tender breasts / nipples, cramping.  I am just driving myself crazy reading about chemical pregnancies and I have been testing daily to make sure the tests still show positive.   I know I should stop testing, but it is very hard!! Any advice? Does anyone know when the risk of a chemical pregnancy ends?<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Re: Driving myself crazy worrying about the possibility of a chemical pregnancy!

• I agree with all the other posters.  I got on the internet soon as I found out I was expecting (Im over 7 weeks now) and for 3 weeks I have been obsessing about everything that can go wrong and might be going on in there. 

At the end of the day there is nothing you can do about it reguardless so try not to worry or stress so much.

Ive given myself little milestones to look forward to.  Getting to my 1st OB appointment (This thursday!) getting past 9 weeks.  Getting to my 12 week appointment....telling our families.  It makes things seem like they aren't going so slow.

Good luck!
    DH and I Married 11.12.10
    First BPP 1.24.14
    EDD 9.26.14

Baby Cooper John born on 9.24.14 6lbs9oz

• Loading the player...
  • First - yes, stop asking Dr. Google. You'll read a lot of crap on the internet.
    Second - no amount of worrying is going to change anything. I remember telling my OB that I was nervous about having a miscarriage, and she said, "if you are going to have a miscarriage, you're going to have one. There's nothing you can do about it either way." 

• Agree with PP. This is my first pregnancy and basically everything scares the crap out of me.

I keep reminding myself that I'm pregnant with my baby and not a statistic.
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • I personally felt better with odds and percentages.  If you are one of these people, here is a link to two charts to make you feel better.
    https://spacefem.com/pregnant/mc.php?m=08&d=10&y=12

Just remember, TODAY you are pregnant.  TODAY you can be happy.  Just remember that.  Each day is a blessing.
    It's interesting that 12 weeks is the generally accepted cutoff on the earliest to announce to the world, when really, according to that chart (which confirms other stuff I've read) there's no real difference between 9 and 12 weeks!   Looks like the risk of miscarriage drops precipitously in week 6 - which happens to be when I told everyone.
    BabyFetus Ticker
    BabyFruit Ticker

• GreenmoodGreenmood member
    edited February 2014
    Pee sticks are the norm where I am (MN) and where I trained (Chicago). They're so sensitive now that a blood HCG isn't necessary unless you're tracking after a miscarriage.

That said, I wonder if some docs are still doing this because of patient demand or old school thinking.

ETA: There are other reasons people do betas, obviously, but in the role of confirming a pregnancy in a woman with no history of loss or complicating conditions they really don't add much to the picture of pregnant vs not. Don't want to upset anyone.
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • My doctor never did a blood test to confirm. Just took my word for it. They did their dipstick test when I went in at 8 weeks and that was that.

27 y/o - Dx with PCOS 7/10/13 - Started on Metformin 8/26/13.

BFP - 11/19/13      EDD - 7/18/14

Anniversary 

Pregnancy Ticker

• Because a blood test would be definitive. Most offices will confirm with a blood test after a positive HPT.
    Quote fail.
    An HPT *is* definitive (at least, multiple HPTs read within the correct time frame that agree). Most doctors I know just have you pee in a cup and stick their own pee stick in it to confirm a pregnancy.  Blood tests aren't necessary.

All the doctors I've been do and it's standard practice here to confirm a BFP with a blood test. They don't do peestick tests at the OB, they do a blood draw.
    Even so, it would have nothing to do with a chemical pregnancy.

imageimageimage
    H e n r y  May 21, 2014

• Have you gone to the doctor yet?  I would suggest a blood test and then make your first appointment.
  • Greenmood said:
    Pee sticks are the norm where I am (MN) and where I trained (Chicago). They're so sensitive now that a blood HCG isn't necessary unless you're tracking after a miscarriage.

That said, I wonder if some docs are still doing this because of patient demand or old school thinking.

ETA: There are other reasons people do betas, obviously, but in the role of confirming a pregnancy in a woman with no history of loss or complicating conditions they really don't add much to the picture of pregnant vs not. Don't want to upset anyone.
    Great post! I am assuming you trained in the medical field, not, say, rhythmic gymnastics. Either way I still trust your post.
  • I personally felt better with odds and percentages.  If you are one of these people, here is a link to two charts to make you feel better.
    https://spacefem.com/pregnant/mc.php?m=08&d=10&y=12

Just remember, TODAY you are pregnant.  TODAY you can be happy.  Just remember that.  Each day is a blessing.

This chart is awesome! Thanks for sharing!
    TTC since 5/13
    BFP 1/23 
    MMC 3/4
    D&C-3/12 
    Currently NTNP
  • barelybarely member
    edited February 2014
    She doesn't need a blood test, she needs to calm down. She's had 7 positive HPTs and the only reason she's freaking is her own mind and the internet. A blood test would be an unnecessary procedure and a waste of time and money.

True, but a lot of OB's (at least around here) will make you get one before they see you anyway. I know mine did. I told them I had a positive HPT, but they still wanted to "confirm pregnancy". 

OP- stop worrying so much. That level of stress isn't healthy for you or your baby. Realize the potential risks, but don't overwhelm yourself with them. Enjoy this time as much as you can. Everyone worries, but you can't let it consume you. You are now a mom-to-be, this is only the beginning of the worrying, but this one is completely out of your hands so try to relax while you can. 
    TTC since 5/13
    BFP 1/23 
    MMC 3/4
    D&C-3/12 
    Currently NTNP
  • Yeah, my doc wanted me to come in and "confirm the pregnancy" too. I peed in a cup. I've never had a blood test to confirm a pregnacy. OP, Don't let fear and worry consume you or suck the joy right out of this experience.
  • FWIW my doc's office only does a blood test to confirm if you want one, unless you have a history that calls for a blood test.  This is my second pregnancy and both times they just asked me when I took a pregnancy test and the date of my LMP, and scheduled my appt around 9 weeks. 

OP, try to relax :)  It's hard not to worry about it, but take a deeeeeep breath.  What will be will be, and right now you're pregnant!

DD1, born 4/10/11 at 32 weeks
    Cooking #2 :)  Due 9/18/2014

BabyFruit Ticker
  • barelybarely member
    edited February 2014
    Yeah, my doc wanted me to come in and "confirm the pregnancy" too. I peed in a cup. I've never had a blood test to confirm a pregnacy. OP, Don't let fear and worry consume you or suck the joy right out of this experience.

I guess every doctor is different. I had to do the blood test before they would even see me, but I agree, they aren't really necessary.
    TTC since 5/13
    BFP 1/23 
    MMC 3/4
    D&C-3/12 
    Currently NTNP
  • I've had two previous miscarriages and my doctor's office still hasn't ever used a blood test for pregnancy confirmation. Also, not to freak anyone out, but I had positive tests up until my d&c's. The unfortunate truth is that there is nothing you can do, and no way you can really know without a doctor. Yes, that sucks, but it also means that worrying does no good. I figure trying to stay positive is better for my health and better for the health of my baby, so that is what I'm trying to do, even with my history. Of course, that didn't keep me from crying when they called to reschedule my appt., for my U/S until next week, due to inclement weather. =) I understand wanting to know if everything is okay!

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • I am only 4 weeks and have to calm myself down everyday. I was terrified of having difficulty with conceiving, but that happened the first month... So now I am terrified of not making it to the second trimester. I just try to remind myself I am healthy and doing all I can for a healthy pregnancies.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Ok. The Internet is not your friend when pregnant. I had myself convinced my pregnancy was ectopic because of the Internet and almost had my husband take me to the er... can you tell I overreacted a bit? Stayyy awayyyyyy from the internet. Only time can tell you your fate. Chemical pregnancies tend to happen very early and are considered a miscarriage before a heartbeat. You're fine But you need to relax

It's a BOY

• Emmy916Emmy916 member
    edited February 2014
    Testing won't show u whether u have a chemical pregnancy unless u get blood work to show it's increasing. Hormones don't disappear overnight it takes weeks. After my miscarriage it took over a month to get a negative pregnancy test. See a Dr. That's the only way to find out
    BFP 7/13 ended 9/13 MMC BFP 1/14 BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"