Preemies

Flat head and helmet?

Hello, I introed a little while ago I have twin boys that were born at 31 wks. One of my sons has a noticeably flat head. He has had occupational therapy since he was 2 mos old (actual). He started physical therapy at the end of December.... The possibility of a helmet has been brought up.... I'm reading conflicting research and the physical therapist is also conflicted as to whether or not it will help... We are already doing placement and modification of his environment as well as stretches... I guess I'm just wondering if anyone has had success with a helmet.... Thanks in advance for any info....
DS#1 born 9/23/06 
Twins DS#2 and 3 born at 31 weeks, 3 days due to a short cervix on 8/2/13.

Re: Flat head and helmet?

• No personal experience but as young as he is, I'd try to resolve it without a helmet first. From what I hear, you have up until closer to a year old before a helmet is needed. Our LO developed a pretty flat head but with tummy time, moving toys around, and rotating sleeping positions it's pretty well cleared itself up. It also helped the most when he was able to sit up more. I have heard great success stories about the helmets but I feel you have plenty of time before you need to take that step.
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

imageimageimage

Pregnancy #1 EDD 1/20/13, D&C for unexplained miscarriage at 12w
    Pregnancy #2 EDD 8/28/2013, Carson was born on 6/28/2013 at 31w - spent 37 days in the NICU
  • My oldest twin had a DOC band helmet last year for four months. It was definitely the right decision for him. J had bulging of the forehead on the left side, flatness at the back of the right side, and his ears were off by nearly two inches. Now you can't even tell that he had any problems whatsoever. The helmet itself was no big deal. I'll be happy to answer any questions you might have.
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
    Married 9/22/07, began TTC 8/10
    Diagnosed with DOR, LP defect, mild endometriosis and cysts
    BFP #1 EDD 9/10/11, natural miscarriage at 6w
    BFP #2 Medicated cycle, twin boys born 4/4/12 at 29w4d
    BFP #3 EDD 8/8/14, D&C for missed miscarriage at 8w, baby boy with triploidy
    BFP #4 June 2014 CP
  • Loading the player...
  • My DD wore a helmet for 3 months for mild plagiocephaly and it definitely did help. I tried repositioning for awhile, but it just wasn't doing the trick because DD would shift back to her regular position. These days I can't even tell that she ever needed one. 
    March 2017 September Siggy Challenge: Favorite Fall Things

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • DS has a helmet! Kid rocks it. Seriously, it helped him immensely. He has had it on since October and we probably get it off next week! Let me know if you have any other questions! A pic of him in the helmet is in my siggy. 

I'm not new. I just hate The Bump. 

• Thank you all! I'm sure I will have more questions, but the physical therapist just quit so we are waiting on a new physical therapist!
    DS#1 born 9/23/06 
    Twins DS#2 and 3 born at 31 weeks, 3 days due to a short cervix on 8/2/13.
  • I've heard an alternative to a helmet would be a tortle. I hear it works wonders. I'm planning on getting one for my son. His physical therapist recommended it
    image image
    Married 8/9/13
    Ashton James Rogers 10/29/13

image  image
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"