July 2013 Moms

? about "happy spitters" and antibiotics

How the hell do you give them medicine???  DD2 has her first ear infection and was prescribed amoxicillin twice a day for 10 days.  I gave her her first dose last night and 20 minutes later she spit it up.  I called the doctor and the nurse said 20 minutes wasn't long enough for the medicine to get into her system but I obvioulsy couldn't give her more until this morning.  Sometimes DD won't spit up at all after a bottle (or very little) and other times she spits up a ton and it continues even hours after eating.  She is always sitting up when she drinks and we burp her after every ounce.  The next 10 days of giving her medicine is going to be brutal.  Any BTDT moms of happy spitters have any advice?
<Lilypie First Birthday tickers> <Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers>

Re: ? about &quot;happy spitters&quot; and antibiotics

• Not a mom of a happy spitter but could you mix the meds in the bottle?
  • I could, but then I run the risk of her spitting up when burping her.  I am seriously at a loss.  The only other forms of antibiotics are IV or injection, which I don't want to do.  I really wish they could make suppositories for antibiotics.  We use tylenol suppositories when DD has a fever and they work great!
    <Lilypie First Birthday tickers> <Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers>
  • Loading the player...
  • Suppositories would be a great idea. I hope you can get the meds in her. :)
  • DD was a happy spitter. We put the meds in with her oatmeal. It was bubble him flavored oatmeal twice a day. Sounds foul to me, but she kept it down. It's worth a try.

Also you try dividing the dose in four. That way a little bit at once may be easier to take.

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Oatmeal is such a good idea! I have a happy spitter, too, and things have really improved since I started oatmeal.

There is nothing happy about happy spitting! There is puke covering my entire life...

When will it end?!
  • I try to give it before I fed her - first in, last out? She got better so maybe this worked. With oatmeal could work, but I know my kids always rejected food/drink that suddenly tasted mediciney and then I had to force it (equaling upset so more likely to spit up) or guess how much they took.

GL! Hope she feels better soon.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"