July 2013 Moms

Underactive Thyroid (hypothyroidism)

JustLilOMeJustLilOMe member
edited February 2014 in July 2013 Moms
I went in for a routine physical. Found out I have an underactive thyroid. Totally caught me off guard since I've always had normal levels.

Anyone else experience this? Is this a postpartum thing since I just had my baby in July? I have yet to speak to my doctor.

Husband and I are trying for baby number 2.
2012 Diagnosis with high fsh, low ovarian reserve.
34 years old at the time. 

July 2012 
IUI #1 Clomid - BFN

August 2012
IUI #2 Clomid - BFN

September 2012
IUI #3 Clomid - BFN

October 2012
IUI #4 Gonal-f injectables - BFP
Baby son born in July 2013

Re: Underactive Thyroid (hypothyroidism)

• No experience. Sorry. I would set up a follow up with the doc! 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    because it didn't fucking snow enough for me to build my own
  • Loading the player...
  • mermomo5 said:
    Depends photo yeah2.jpg For you Jackson :)
    YES!!!
  • cwhitloccwhitloc member
    edited February 2014
    I have been down this route. My levels were always normal until after DD1. Went for a routine physical and the number was slightly off. I read online that this could be post partum related, so I assumed it was temporary. My doctor put me on the meds. I asked if I had to stay on them forever. She said yes. This was contrary to what I had read online.

I suspect the thyroid level being off contributed to my milk supply issues.

Fast forward to DD2. I stayed on the meds and they monitored my levels every month. It is important to have a healthy level while pregnant.

After DD2, I had another physical and asked again with my new general doctor if I could get off the meds. I basically read that general doctors don't have time to do follow up testing to wean you off the meds. She said no.

I booked an appt with an endocrinologist anyways. We went over my whole history. He said I should stop taking the drugs and agreed I probably had post partum hypothyroditist. He believed it was the case because of my age, history of not having a problem and because it was only slightly off after pregnancy. He told me I didn't need to wean and could just stop taking the meds. I have a follow up with him to check my levels. I asked about milk supply. He said only if my numbers were totally off would it affect my supply. He said the numbers can be off for up to a year post partum. If they come back off, we will just continue to monitor. He also stated he would never have put me on meds in the first place.

Basically, I just learned to go with your gut and question.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• edited February 2014
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • I'm watching the show Mad Men and I just wanted to say that I love it! Do you like Mad Men? Anyone? The red head is my favorite ;-)

Yes. Joan is the shit! She's pretty progressive for a woman in the 1950s/1960s. Plus, she is totally doable.

Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic

• I dealt with it after baby #1. My doctor told me that it's quite common to have your thyroid thrown off after pregnancy. I have to get tested every 6 months and if it shows that my levels are off I get a 3 month prescription to get it back to normal. The last 3 years I've had no problem and this past pregnancy didn't cause any problems.
  • valstulas said:

I'm watching the show Mad Men and I just wanted to say that I love it! Do you like Mad Men? Anyone? The red head is my favorite ;-)

Yes. Joan is the shit! She's pretty progressive for a woman in the 1950s/1960s. Plus, she is totally doable.
    Oh yes... I completely agree.
  • valstulas said:

I'm watching the show Mad Men and I just wanted to say that I love it! Do you like Mad Men? Anyone? The red head is my favorite ;-)

Yep. Just a little gay for her over here.

• valstulas said:

valstulas said:

Yep. Just a little gay for her over here.
    Oh you're not alone. She's hot.
  • Goodnight moon..
  • Asbromle said:

Goodnight moon..

Goodnight cow jumping over the moon...

• Asbromle said:

Goodnight moon..

Goodnight light
    And the red balloon...
  • EagleWife said:

Asbromle said:

Goodnight moon..

Goodnight light
    And the red balloon...
    Goodnight bears and goodnight chairs
    Good night kittens, and good night mittens.
  • Oh my gosh you guys. I thought this was a place for support and where you could ask questions. If you don't have a good answer then dont open the thread. You're all so rude and I feel sorry for your husbands and children. Why don't you get off the internet and pay attention to your kids. /sarcasm font.

I think I'm in love with you. :x :x

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • EagleWife said:

Asbromle said:

Goodnight moon..

Goodnight light
    And the red balloon...
    Goodnight bears and goodnight chairs
    Good night kittens, and good night mittens.
    Goodnight clocks and goodnight socks
    Good night little house and good night mouse.
  • @maryannespier just bought that book. You all are really bad for my bank account. :P
  • I just want to know why she didn't come back. We weren't mean, and we actually answered her question. A "thank you" goes a long way @JustLilOMe.

• Does anyone else google SNs to see if the person has a web presence elsewhere? I'm sure it's a different person but there's a man who goes by "justlilome" on a dating website for Muslims.
    hahaha I lurv you so hard.  :x
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"