Parenting

Re: s/o PSH death...(similar local case)

• She should be held accountable. When I bartended I knew I could be held liable for over serving. She knew he was underage and even if he was of age she should have not over served him.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • I guess I don't understand why only one person is getting the felony charge?

It is tragic that only one person refused service.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • It sucks, but that waitress is a dumb ass.  Is she one of the four that knew he was underage?
    Yes. But so did the 26-year old friend, as well as another (underage) friend who bought alcohol for him.
  • The waitress served him even though he was already drunk. She watched him drink and then leave to drive.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • She was working, knew he was underage and encouraged the drinking. I'm guessing the statute places a duty on her not to serve minors in her capacity as a waitress. His friend didn't have the duty, and the convenience store guy didn't know he was underage, that's why they got misdemeanors.
    I can agree with this.  What about the off-duty cops though?  Do they have still have a responsibility even if not "on the clock"?
    imageImage and video hosting by TinyPic AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • pobrecita said:
    EVA116 said:
    The waitress served him even though he was already drunk. She watched him drink and then leave to drive.
    Didn't she give him her keys too? Like, it was her car they were driving!
    Yeah, she was dumb.
  • The waitress had a duty to not serve an intoxicated person. She knowingly gave alcohol to someone who was intoxicated. The others that bought it for him, though guilty of providing it to a minor, were not actually serving him while he was intoxicated.
  • She was working, knew he was underage and encouraged the drinking. I'm guessing the statute places a duty on her not to serve minors in her capacity as a waitress. His friend didn't have the duty, and the convenience store guy didn't know he was underage, that's why they got misdemeanors.
    Ok, I see this point now. They dont detail the new law much in the article...it just said prviding alcohol to a minor that results in the minor's death.
  • aforst said:
    She was working, knew he was underage and encouraged the drinking. I'm guessing the statute places a duty on her not to serve minors in her capacity as a waitress. His friend didn't have the duty, and the convenience store guy didn't know he was underage, that's why they got misdemeanors.
    I can agree with this.  What about the off-duty cops though?  Do they have still have a responsibility even if not "on the clock"?
    I was wondering this as well...seems like a tough call. But they encountered this very intoxicated man, even helped him into his car and watched him drive away. It is odd to me that in the interest of public safety that they didn't do more.
  • https://www.omaha.com/article/20140205/NEWS/302069997/1685#someone-in-officers-group-bought-round-of-beer-for-teens-sergeant-testifies

This update was posted this afternoon. Looks like the police officers were actively drinking and buying drinks for the minors. Still wasn't the officers job to make sure they were of age, but it looks really bad.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"