June 2014 Moms

pale yellow nursery will make baby cry?!?!?!

Would anyone with experience with this be willing to help a hormonal woman out? A few years ago we painted our guest room a very pale neutral creamy yellow with the plan that it would eventually be the nursery. Since becoming pregnant my Mother in law has been badgering us to repaint the nursery because it will make the baby cry. She is a scientist but also from an ethnic culture with lots of superstitions. Her daughter also cried a lot as a baby in her yellow room. But my sister in law as a 30 year old still cries a lot. I don't want to repaint. We have already ripped up carpet and refinished the floors. With all the contructtion and fumes I am ready to just be done with the room. I know yellow is an energetic color and reflects light but it's so pale. Does anyone know any truth to this yellow crying baby conspiracy? Should I maybe keep and open mind on this or continue to tell her no. thank you in advance.

Re: pale yellow nursery will make baby cry?!?!?!

• I have a pale yellow nursery, well, a creamy yellow, sunshine something or other, and C only cries in there when she's teething.  She goes to bed at 7:45 with no tears and wakes up at 6:45 yelling for us.  No crying.  You'll be fine. 

Generally yellow is considered an irritant, so I get where she's coming from, but if it's the right shade, which it sounds it is, you're fine.  Check the nursery post and you can find the pics I posted a while ago. 

Married DH 7/30/11

CSC arrived 5/7/12 

CHC arrived 6/2/14

• Loading the player...
  • If my MIL was that set on changing the color of the room she'd have no problem doing it herself. So I guess if your MIL is dead set against the yellow nursury tell her she can paint it a different color.
  • Both my sister and I had the same bright yellow nursery.  She was a calm baby, I had colic.  Relax, it'll be fine.

• I think you hit the nail on the nose when you said that 30 your SIL still cries a lot- thats just her personality. Our nursery is light yellow and has been for a few years. I've always found it to be a warm, sunny room that relaxes me.
    image  image
    О Привязать! Z!
    The Science Babies debuted 5/6/14 @ 34 weeks
  • I say leave it if that is the color you want it. I was thinking of doing a yellow room for the baby to. I even looked on Pinterst and there are a lot of yellow rooms out there for baby.
  • DD is in a pale yellow room and perfectly content.
  • crossfitkiwicrossfitkiwi member
    edited February 2014
    Happy mom happy baby I say. If you like it then leave it.
  • Well this just sounds silly.  Your MIL is a bit off her rocker.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Your MIL is crazy cakes. Tons of kids have yellow rooms. All babies cry. DS' room is green and that doesn't stop him from crying when he's upset. 

I'm not new. I just hate The Bump. 

• I have heard that people fight more in yellow rooms. I call bullshit. Our bathroom is painted a kind of pale creamy yellow, and DH and I never fight in there. 

If you love the colour, throw out all the superstition, old wives tales, and advice from your MIL and leave it be!

DD1: June 2014 - VBM4lyfe
    DD2: October 2016
    DC3: coming May 2019

• My nursery was yellow. We painted in when we moved in 3 yrs ago so it would be painted. We picked yellow so it could go with either boy or girl.

My girlfriend just painted it for me last minute now sage green.

I would not worry. That is what color we were going to do.

Me (40) DH (42).......Married 7/1/11......TTC 12/2013.......BFP #1 12/30/12........EDD 9/8/13
    Spotting,clot 2/15/13 all ok......2/21/13 no heartbeat 11 w 4 d missed miscarriage........2/22/13 DnC :(
    BFP # 2 10.10.13...........EDD 6.19.14

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

• LadyMacaronLadyMacaron member
    edited February 2014
    There are actual psychological/behavioral studies that do make connections with colors affecting mood and temperament. There is a reason McDonalds uses these studies to design their dining spaces (they make you hungry and don't want you to linger). BUT, no color is actually going to make you cry just by being around it. Yellow is a stimulant, but I'm sure you will see no effect on your baby. 

Favorite TV Mom: Tami Taylor
  • Our kitchen is yellow and I cry in it all the time. Only because its a horrible shade. It looks like "smoker house yellow" (We did repaint when we moved in so its not actually smoker house yellow. )

Yellow is fine for a nursery. Your MIL is just being silly.

Baby 1 - 10/2010 | Baby 2 - 8/2012 | Baby 3 - 6/2014 | Baby 4 - EDD 8/2016 - MC 12-27-2015 | Baby 5 - : 9/2016

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Isn't pale yellow a pretty standard nursery color?

I agree with PP, your SIL may just cry a lot.  Or maybe she has always hated yellow.  Or maybe your MIL made her cry.  None of those are reasons to repaint.  MILs always seem to have a lot of opinions.
    image    image

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • My brother and I's nursery had green and white striped wallpaper. I'm crying just thinking about hideous that must have looked. Maybe that's why we grew up to be such jerks.

"Your truth is different from my truth, and we're both right."

TTC since March 2013. BFP 4/13/13, blighted ovum discovered 6/6/13, m/c 6/8/13.

BFP 11/10/13, EDD 7/25/13 - stick little owlet!

BabyFruit Ticker

View Full Size Image

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• Well my babies are screwed then. I think yellow is probably one of the most common colors for nurseries, especially if people don't find out the gender. I would tell MIL to mind her own business.
    Pregnancy Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"