Breastfeeding
Options

Normal growth for SGA baby?

awright1983awright1983 member
edited February 2014 in Breastfeeding
My DD is nearly 5 months old. She was 5 lbs at birth and dropped to 4 lbs 3.5 oz as her lowest weight. We do not know what the cause of her low birth weight was. She was supplemented with formula until about 3 weeks and has been EBF since then. She is thriving and was 13 lbs 3.5 oz at her 4 month appt. Using my scale at home I estimate she now weighs about 15 lbs. I am extremely greatful that she is doing so well but I'm wondering if this is normal? Typically you hear they want babies to double their birth weight by six months, she has already tripled hers. Maybe this is to be expected with such a small baby? Also at what point should I expect her growth to slow? I feel like the last five months have been one continuous growth spurt.

Re: Normal growth for SGA baby?

• Options
    Thanks for the input @casey78. @AmyG* I wouldn't say I have a super high milk supply, certainly not an oversupply. I definitely can keep up with her demand though. She eats very frequently still during the day but only once or twice overnight. We got no information from the doctors about the long term effects of being SGA. Perhaps she is just catching up to where genetics said she should be? Fetal dopplers before I was induced showed definite blood flow issues.
  • Options
    I was in the same boat with my LO. Had abnormal Doppler readings on ultrasound 30wks on, 5lb6oz at birth, down to 4lb7oz at hospital discharge. At our 2 mos appt she was 10lb 2 oz and our ped says he expects her to grow a bit faster at the start and then will level out. Does your dr plot her growth and show you the curves? I would pose these questions to your ped but it sounds like she's doing great.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    awright1983awright1983 member
    edited February 2014
    @klsantucci they do plot and show me the curves. She was less than 3rd percentile at birth and at 4 months they told me she was 50th percentile for weight. But another friend whose baby weighed 3 lbs more at 4 months was told her baby was 25th percentile for weight on supposedly the same charts. I wish I could find a PDF and plot her growth myself. It seems silly to be concerned. I guess I just want to be sure I'm not over feeding her
  • Options
    I wouldn't worry if your doc isn't worried. Babies grow very differently from each other and still doctors show average graphs and then tell you where your baby is: of course a lot of babies are below or over the line.

LO has been over the line since day 1, he weighed almost 9 pounds at birth and now weighs 24 pounds at only 6 months. The doc said he will stop growing at some point and regularize. I can see he is not overweight because he is very active and clothes (size 12M) fit him proportionately.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers     Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    Surprise BFP on 11/02/12 EDD 07/06/13 --> Express wedding on 12/29/2012 --> G was born on 07/15/13
    *Multicultural family raising a multilingual toddler: Spanish, Italian, Dutch and English

• Options
    @casey78 that link was very helpful. Not sure why I didn't think to look on kellymom. I have been reading about rapid growth being a concern for later obesity and diabetes. Doesn't sound as though that would be a particular concern in my daughters case.
  • Options
    @casey78 yes! Thanks for that... I was not worried about LO gaining too much but I did enjoy reading that it's not bad :) 
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers     Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    Surprise BFP on 11/02/12 EDD 07/06/13 --> Express wedding on 12/29/2012 --> G was born on 07/15/13
    *Multicultural family raising a multilingual toddler: Spanish, Italian, Dutch and English

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"