Cincinnati Babies
Options

Lesbian Parents

My partner and I are looking for reviews on hospitals from lesbian parents in the Cincinnati area? We are starting the process soon, and I know I am jumping the gun, but I want to look in to it all. I want to have the baby at Good Samaritan, but I also want to know that they will respect us a couple. What about my partner as a "visitor"? I would want her to be able to have access 24/7 and I realize that may not be possible. I am looking for any and all recommendations! Thank You! If you are reading this and you have any tips we will take those too! 

Re: Lesbian Parents

• Options
    Congratulations on starting the process! I can't speak to Good Sam as I had my baby at Christ. But the way that I understood things is that the mother is allowed to have one supporter with her at all times ( at any hospital). My husband was with me constantly ( except when I got the epidural placed for my csection). Ethically and legally, I would imagine they would have to be the same way with you and your partner ( but I know that it doesn't always work that way for LGBT couples). One of my friends had her mother with her through the entire birthing process. Her mother also stayed with her. Also, Christ didn't have real visitor hours. People dropped in on us whenever it was convenient for us, not the hospital. Most hospitals have birthing unit tours for prospective and expecting parents. If I were you, I would go on those and ask questions. I would also ask your OB as they will have more knowledge about the inner workings of the hospital. Good luck!
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    I think if you make it explicit in your birth plan that you want your partner by your side at all times, there shouldn't be an issue (at least I would hope not). My friends in Portland (we just moved from Oregon to NKY) did that as a precaution and everything was totally okay. I second asking what the visiting hours are when/if you make a tour. Also, I'd make sure your obgyn or midwife or doula know what you two want. Congrats on the pregnancy!
    September Siggy Challenge: Singing in the Shower

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    aibreanaibrean member
    edited February 2014
    When delivering my baby I had my husband, mom, mother in law, sister in law, father in law, and best friend in the room. There was a curtain blocking off me so not everyone saw what was going on (thank goodness LOL), but actually most of them were right there as I delivered. There is one designated support person and then whoever else you want in the room. I went to MVH South and they didn't have specific visiting hours either. We just had people come and go. I think in delivery there was a max of 5 + you and the support person.

BTW the plan was to have just my hubby and I during delivery. That went out the window! His mom was actually very helpful with helping me and breathing.
    PitaPata - Personal picturePitaPata Cat tickers
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Good Sam's allows you to have one person with you at all times. Your partner will get a matching wristband that is the same as you & your baby's. I have seen some women give these to their mothers before etc. This will allow them to be in the room or operating room for the birth. With our first we were unmarried (actually still just dating) and they allowed him all of the same rights as myself during the entire stay - he just had to be the one with the bracelet. :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"