January 2014 Moms

Is it gas?

DS is a pretty good baby and hardly cries, even when hungry. Lately he has been grunting and letting out little cries randomly. I'm assuming he is trying to poop and having problems. He was pooping after every feeding but now he does it about once or twice a day. I'm not sure if this is a gas issue, or if he's really having problems pooping. Anyone else experience this? I will be calling the pedi Monday when they open.

Re: Is it gas?

• Could be gas, did you try burping? Also lightly massaging their back helps BM and farts
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Yes he usually burps pretty well. He doesn't fuss if I'm holding him but if I lay him down he does. This is why I think it's gas.
  • Loading the player...
  • My LO squirms and grunts too. A Lot. It's normal if they don't poop a whole lot. I'm mobile bumping so idk how old your DS is..but it sounds normal. Call your doctor to ease your mind and they might prescribed a gas drop
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • DS will be 3 weeks on Sunday (I'm mobile so unable to update ticker). It's not the grunting and noises that I'm concerned about, more the little screams and cries. I was just wondering if anyone else's baby does this, and if so what helps ease it?
  • My LO does this, usually nothing but letting him pass the gas helps, sometimes I do massage, and do bicycle kicks, rotate his legs clockwise. I might get a couple toots, but mostly he has to pass it himself. Ive start using mylicon drops which has not competely relieve the gas but it seems it helps him pass it better.
  • bossyfnp said:

My LO does this, usually nothing but letting him pass the gas helps, sometimes I do massage, and do bicycle kicks, rotate his legs clockwise. I might get a couple toots, but mostly he has to pass it himself. Ive start using mylicon drops which has not competely relieve the gas but it seems it helps him pass it better.

This is what I've been doing with DS too. I also recently discovered that if I lay him belly down on my forearm and carry him around that way, it helps a little
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers

BFP #1 8/1/11, MMC 10/5/11, D&C 11/1/11
     BFP #2 5/28/13, EDD 1/17/14. Elliott - 12/31/13
  • Yes, Jude makes grunts and lets out cries when he's working on some gas. If I hold him at an angle (like on my bent knees) and press his stomach lightly, or work his legs like he's riding a bicycle, that sometimes helps.
    Ashley, FTM, Age 31, Southern California
    Jude Meyer was born January 12, 2014, at 21 inches, 7lb, 8oz.

image imageimage
  • Are his poops a different consistency? Is he still having lots of wet diapers? Could be a sign his input isn't as high as it was.  Could also just be gas or his digestive system maturing a bit so he's not pooping as often.  DS2 is slowly moving towards having fewer bigger poops rather than smaller poops all the time.  He still poops 6+ times a day, but it is less than before when he would poop like a leaky faucet. 
    image image

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • It's the same consistency and he is having plenty of wet diapers. I will try the bicycle move and other suggestions. Thanks ladies!
  • I would also try to keep him elevated when you put him down. It's easier to pass gas in either direction, mouth or behind.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"