One & Done: Only child

Friends

Do you guys make friends easily?
Do you think women who work make friends easier than SAHM's, since you're surrounded by more people?

I suck at making friends in my 30's :(
99% of my friends are from my childhood. Which is awesome, we're super close.  But they've all moved away from our hometown.  And I was hoping once DD started school making friends would be easier.  But I've really only made one. And she isn't someone that would ever be super close to me.. like.. "if you ever need me, you can call me at ANY time" type of friend.  I haven't made one of those since I was a kid.

It bums me out, and I don't know why?  Do any of you ever feel this way?
It was so much easier to make friends as a kid.  And I feel like a lot of the moms in DD's class are just not...... my type? If that makes sense.
It would just be awesome to have one of those friends (besides the ones I've had since I was 6) that I know I can lean on whenever, call whenever, text whenever, that won't judge me, that always has my back, etc etc.  And that seems insanely hard to do once you're all grown and stuff.

/pity party over.
E+C
(+ hers and his, ages 13 & 8)
TTC

Re: Friends

• I feel this way too. I have my best friend since like the 3rd grade. And I lost my other best friend in a car accident in 2007. I try to make friends with DH's friend's wives and girlfriends but it usually doesn't work out. I have a few friends from work but i'm only fairly close with one of them.

I will be your friend!! For serious. You can text me with random shit, and I will probably tell you even more random shit LOL.
  • I feel you on everything (other than the kid in school) because I don't make friends easily (or at all) either.  I have 3 people I call friends, 2 are from childhood but live SUPER far away from me and one is my sister.  I have a bunch of acquaintances but they're usually friends-of-a-friend so I only spend time with them in a group setting.  My H has a tonne of friends and we do things with them and their wives sometimes but I just haven't clicked with any of them.  

I get really down on myself about this a lot.  H is always telling me to take an afternoon here or there or go to a movie or whatever when I get overwhelmed (which is too often) but I just don't have anybody to do anything with.  I feel really lonely.  I've cried about it more than I'd like to admit.  

I don't know why I can't make friends but I can't.  

/pity party over for me too...
  • Loading the player...
  • I feel you on everything (other than the kid in school) because I don't make friends easily (or at all) either.  I have 3 people I call friends, 2 are from childhood but live SUPER far away from me and one is my sister.  I have a bunch of acquaintances but they're usually friends-of-a-friend so I only spend time with them in a group setting.  My H has a tonne of friends and we do things with them and their wives sometimes but I just haven't clicked with any of them.  

I get really down on myself about this a lot.  H is always telling me to take an afternoon here or there or go to a movie or whatever when I get overwhelmed (which is too often) but I just don't have anybody to do anything with.  I feel really lonely.  I've cried about it more than I'd like to admit.  

I don't know why I can't make friends but I can't.  

/pity party over for me too...
    AH! This is SO me.  DH tells me that all the time.. "why don't you go out and do something with someone?" and I'm like.... "uhhhh....... who? The 90 year old neighbor?"  should I grab a stranger?  Go to the movies by myself?  I seriously have NO friends that live near me. That makes me sound so pitiful.   And truly, it makes no sense to me.  Because I feel like I'm a wonderful friend?  When I'm close to someone, I would move the WORLD for them.  I don't judge people.  I'm kind. I like to think I can be sorta funny :P  I always have someones back in need.  But maybe this is all in my head and I actually suck.  Because if that were all true, wouldn't I have more friends?

I understand how you feel, I so do.   And I try to befriend H's work wives, too.. or his coworkers.. but that doesn't work, either.  It doesn't help that I'm kinda painfully shy UNTIL I know someone well.  But it's hard to get close to someone in the meantime and break past that.

@JackoftheBox- don't temp me ;)
    E+C
    TTC
  • @Chapter79 - I'm crazy shy too.  My BFF thinks I have social anxiety but I wouldn't go that far.  I have a hard time just striking up a conversation with someone I don't know but, really, how else would I make a friend!?  Lol.  It's frustrating.
  • @Chapter79 - I'm crazy shy too.  My BFF thinks I have social anxiety but I wouldn't go that far.  I have a hard time just striking up a conversation with someone I don't know but, really, how else would I make a friend!?  Lol.  It's frustrating.
    Same :)  But, I do have some social anxiety. It's minor, though.  But it makes it hard to make new friends :(
    E+C
    TTC
  • Chapter79 said:
    @Chapter79 - I'm crazy shy too.  My BFF thinks I have social anxiety but I wouldn't go that far.  I have a hard time just striking up a conversation with someone I don't know but, really, how else would I make a friend!?  Lol.  It's frustrating.
    Same :)  But, I do have some social anxiety. It's minor, though.  But it makes it hard to make new friends :(
    That's too bad - I imagine it makes things even tougher.  I don't think I do.  I like social events well enough, I just never leave one with plans or new friends or anything.  Lol.  I would NEVER go to an event by myself though.  H or a friend would have to be with me as a buffer.
  • Chapter79 said:
    @Chapter79 - I'm crazy shy too.  My BFF thinks I have social anxiety but I wouldn't go that far.  I have a hard time just striking up a conversation with someone I don't know but, really, how else would I make a friend!?  Lol.  It's frustrating.
    That's too bad - I imagine it makes things even tougher.  I don't think I do.  I like social events well enough, I just never leave one with plans or new friends or anything.  Lol.  I would NEVER go to an event by myself though.  H or a friend would have to be with me as a buffer.
    I actually don't know the true definition of "social anxiety" so I probably shouldn't say I have some form of it lol, I just always assumed maybe I did. Maybe I should research that before spewing off things.   I will go to social events, too.. but never alone. Always with H.  And once I'm there, I'm OK. But BEFOREhand, I get really nervous.  Like.. "what do I say? What if H leaves my side and I'm standing with a stranger?" so I get nervous.  But once I'm there and actually with everyone, I'm fine.  It's more of a pre-thing.   And small talk kills me!  Like... with a hairdresser?  Ugh.  And If I get a quiet hairdresser, it's painful for me.  I can't just THINK of random things to talk about.

Again, once I'm close to someone I have ZERO issues with this.  But I can't seem to get to that point with anyone "new" and make new friends.
    E+C
    TTC
  • Chapter79 said:
    Chapter79 said:
    I actually don't know the true definition of "social anxiety" so I probably shouldn't say I have some form of it lol, I just always assumed maybe I did. Maybe I should research that before spewing off things.   I will go to social events, too.. but never alone. Always with H.  And once I'm there, I'm OK. But BEFOREhand, I get really nervous.  Like.. "what do I say? What if H leaves my side and I'm standing with a stranger?" so I get nervous.  But once I'm there and actually with everyone, I'm fine.  It's more of a pre-thing.   And small talk kills me!  Like... with a hairdresser?  Ugh.  And If I get a quiet hairdresser, it's painful for me.  I can't just THINK of random things to talk about.

Again, once I'm close to someone I have ZERO issues with this.  But I can't seem to get to that point with anyone "new" and make new friends.
    You and me = peas in a pod, sista.  I'm famous for telling H "you can't even go to the bathroom!" because I'm so nervous of being left alone. 

• @Possum2011 - will you be my friend? ;)
    E+C
    TTC
  • Chapter79 said:
    @Possum2011 - will you be my friend? ;)
    WHAT D'FAUK?!! I am revoking my friend request!!! IT"S OVER.

• Um, yes. Everything everyone already said. :) I have good, close friends from HS and college. We moved from our college town about 5 years ago and I haven't really made any new, close friends. I like a lot of my coworkers, but I don't make an effort to see them outside of work most of the time. I've made some mom-friends since having DS by joining a moms group and going to LLL meetings, but we're not really close. There's one that I see every month or so for playdates, and I think we could be better friends, but I prioritize my time with DS and DH.

It feels so awkward to be like, "hey, I like you, let's go on a friend-date and see where this goes". I'd rather ask some random guy out than do that!

• Chapter79 said:
    @Possum2011 - will you be my friend? ;)
    WHAT D'FAUK?!! I am revoking my friend request!!! IT"S OVER.

We can ALL be friends :)
  • Um, yes. Everything everyone already said. :) I have good, close friends from HS and college. We moved from our college town about 5 years ago and I haven't really made any new, close friends. I like a lot of my coworkers, but I don't make an effort to see them outside of work most of the time. I've made some mom-friends since having DS by joining a moms group and going to LLL meetings, but we're not really close. There's one that I see every month or so for playdates, and I think we could be better friends, but I prioritize my time with DS and DH.

It feels so awkward to be like, "hey, I like you, let's go on a friend-date and see where this goes". I'd rather ask some random guy out than do that!

Yes!  I've never figured out how to do this so I usually wait for the other person to say something.  I'm still waiting though...
  • Well, at least I'm not alone???? :)
    E+C
    TTC
  • I don't necessarily struggle making friends, but I struggle to find friends if that makes sense.  I also hate people, so that doesn't help LOL!

Seriously, though, when I see groups of female friends out "Sex and the City" style I always get envious, but it seems whenever I make a new friend I have a hard time committing to hanging out.  I cancel plans a lot because I want to be home with DD.

I have one friend from high school who I barely talk to where we pick up where we left off whenever we talk.  She is one of my best friends, but other than that?  I have a lot of acquaintances.

• I say I "hate" people, too. I say it all the time.
    And there are plenty I dislike, because I think so many women judge so much. And that overwhelmes me, because I'm not that type of person?

But I think I just say it because no one will be friends with me, and I'm jealous of everyone who has a super close best friend to hang with and always call when in need.   I go to my 7 year old when I'm in need, or my H.  And I want that girlfriend to go to.   So I think that's why I say what I do.
    E+C
    TTC
  • I am a huge introvert, which makes it hard to socialize with new people. And bar and parties, really anywhere loud, is just not my scene. I have been getting better about putting myself out there since I joined a mom's group in my area. I had to dare myself to go to an event the first time, and there are times when it feels forced and fake. But at least it's socialization for me and ds. Even so it took me two years of going to events and meeting people (and seeing the same people who I am really only surface friends with) before I managed to find a good friend. I never never thought I would find another friend who was actually nearby.

I have probably 4 close friends. One lives across the county. One lives a few hours away. One is the woman I recently met who is actually near me (but our kids are 2 years apart). And the other is a wife of dh's co-worker, but dh's company has jobs all over the country so we only see each other if our husbands end up on the same project and we are both out there with them.

Being a grown-up is hard :/

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I've had bad social anxiety for years. Crippling. I keep trying to convince myself to go to therapy for it but that makes me anxious. ;) Seriously though...I'm afraid to even talk to cashiers. I will go to a store with a self checkout whenever possible. I barely speak to my coworkers. I feel awful for my coworkers because I'm SO AWKWARD. They probably think I'm a huge, snobby bitch but in reality I'm just terrified of socializing. 

I forced myself to join a coed volunteer fraternity in college. I made several friends in that (one of which is my H!) and still keep in touch and even work with a few of them. Luckily I have a few friends who have accepted my quirks and know that I will have periods where I'm not sociable. 

• You guys are in a better boat than I.. I don't even have one friend :((
    I moved here to Georgia(boo, hiss) about four years ago and lost touch with my only good girlfriend from highschool. I have only had jobs where I have only had about 5 co-workers and they're all always waaay older than me- like, their kids are older than I am. I have already been to college, in Florida, where I didn't meet any good friends because I went for Auto Body and the others were all obnoxious guys.

Uggghh I'm so insanely bored. And my daughter has never once met another baby anywhere close to her age, because I don't know any. She doesn't go to daycare and I have been desperately searching for a mommy & me group around here to no avail. The only people I ever socialize with are my husband's family.

I have pretty much given up on finding a friend for myself, and am currently searching for baby friends for Josie, which is turning out to be just as difficult. I am not religious so I have no interest in going to a church group. I can't turn to LLL because I am ashamed that I wasn't able to breastfeed, even though I tried desperately. The closest mommy groups I could find are 45 minute drives- I don't know how I could swing that with the baby's nap schedule....

Maybe it's just me. Maybe I'm super boring or annoying or whatever.. I don't drink or smoke, I'll never understand why that puts-off people. I can't even be around smokers because I'm allergic. I think I'm just the perfect shitstorm of reasons why I can never have friends.

My only hope now is that I discovered my local library does a toddler playgroup thing on Wednesdays, but it is for 1-3 year olds. Josie isn't developmentally one year old, but her first birthday is in two weeks so I'll just pretend that counts. I just hope that I won't be the only person who shows up when I do get there...
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Sorry for that novel, lol. I guess I just had to vent a little!
  • I don't necessarily struggle making friends, but I struggle to find friends if that makes sense.  I also hate people, so that doesn't help LOL!

Seriously, though, when I see groups of female friends out "Sex and the City" style I always get envious, but it seems whenever I make a new friend I have a hard time committing to hanging out.  I cancel plans a lot because I want to be home with DD.

I have one friend from high school who I barely talk to where we pick up where we left off whenever we talk.  She is one of my best friends, but other than that?  I have a lot of acquaintances.

This is me exactly minus the canceling. I'm super good at making acquaintances, have no problem with small talk and I can fill a silence like nobody's business but when it comes to the commitment of being friends with most people, it just doesn't happen often for me. I feel like as I get older, I have higher and higher expectations of people and I've gotten so sick of being disappointed that it's just no longer a priority. And I don't mean I have ridiculous standards but I just expect people to treat me at least the way I treat them, not to be insane destructive alcoholics and be generally considerate. Being sarcastic helps a lot, too. Maybe it's a tough combination.

• I think I'm not very good at keeping friends. I usually get along well with people but I have a pretty hard time maintaining friendships.

I'm making more of an effort to invite people out to lunch or for coffee just to stay in touch with them so I'm not so sucky.
  • Shabutie said:
    Sorry for that novel, lol. I guess I just had to vent a little!
    Aw it's ok! Don't apologize. Lots of us have seemed to do lengthy vents here ;)  Seems like a lot of us are in the same boat and very similar, too.  Maybe this is a reason we all found an online community? To find that friendship we're lacking? lol .. interesting thing to think about.  Believe it or not, some of the online friends I've made are closer than the real life ones I have. Still not that amazing friendship I sometimes crave, but maybe that's on TV and only exists in my head?

I'm sorry that some of you feel lonely.. and I hope when you are, you get your butt on here and let us help you get UN-lonely!  Not the same, I know.  But it's something! :)
    E+C
    TTC
  • Shabutie said:

Sorry for that novel, lol. I guess I just had to vent a little!

Hey girl! It's me! Your friend from Missouri :) don't feel so down. Come here and chat with us when you feel down. I know it's not the same but we promise to be as wierd as possible :)

• I like you guys.
  • Shabutie said:
    I like you guys.

:x
    E+C
    TTC
  • Okay, I may be the only person who will responds who has no problem making friends. I do think SAHM have a harder time making friends. Less opportunity to be on your own/not focused on your child/interacting with new adults who might be friends. Also people who didn't go to college since that is a place to find people. I actually only have a few friends from college with whom I am still close (like five?) and am very lucky that my college best friend and I live in the same city and currently just a twenty minute walk from each other, but have a ton from law school who are all here. I think I am in a good place to make friends honestly. New York City means you are running in to random people all the time. The non-college/law school close friends I have I have met: at work (x7), at my hairdresser, is the wife of a male friend from work, lived in my old apartment building (x2) and lives in my current apartment building. Two of those women I met because of L -- one at swim class and one in the lobby of the building -- and both have kids the same age. So maybe just also try to be open to random encounters and making friends? (Okay easier said than done if you have social anxiety. Not trying to downplay that.) the other thing that has worked for me in terms of keeping friends is one rule: just show up. If I don't want to do something, ESP if I haven't had enough time with L that week, I say I can't do it, but if I say I am going to go I don't cancel. Lots of being a friend is just showing up. I am maybe a bit of a freak about this friend thing though -- one of my New Years resolutions is to send a birthday card to every friend on our Christmas list. I have 50 cards to write (includes family) but I know it will be so worth it for each person.

Hope that didn't come out like a sermon/lesson. Just thought it might help from someone who is a mixed introvert/extrovert and has had luck making friends.
  • My problem is that I think small talk is dumb and takes too much energy for what it's worth. I do it, especially in the beginning of meeting new people. But unless I "click" with someone, almost every conversation takes too much mental effort. And I find I have so very little in common with other stay at home moms.

I miss college where I was taking classes with people who had the same interests as me. Made finding friends easier.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"