Cloth Diapering

How long sitting clean in the washer?

First off... hello again!  I haven't been on in ages (not that I was exactly a regular before...)  I started taking classes and DH deployed and that's seriously cut into my bump time.

I usually wash after the kids are in bed and then hang to dry overnight before I go to bed, but lately I've really been sucking at remembering to hang them up and they end up sitting in the washer (clean, but wet) overnight.  At what point do you think they need to be rewashed, or at least rinsed?  I didn't remember until about noon today so that's like, 14 hours.   

TTC since September 2009.

IVF #2: +HPT 2/6/12! ~ Boy/Girl Twins!!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: How long sitting clean in the washer?

• I leave clean diapers in the washer overnight all the time. If they still smell fine, I just throw them in the dryer. If I forget and wait until too late the next day and they're starting to smell a little musty, I'll rinse them again.

BabyFruit Ticker

• About as long as I would leave wet clothes, which is about a day. 
    Lilypie - (8zJg)Lilypie - (Eu83)
  • Loading the player...
  • Overnight is fine, A little longer, as long as they don't smell musty yet.
    Married 6/18/11
    BFP #1 10/26/12 DS born 6/30/13
    BFP #2 10/30/13 MC 11/25/13
    BFP #3 1/18/14 DS #2 born 10/7/14
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    image   Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• I have found that 12-14 hours is pushing it in my washer lately. If I leave them longer, I have to actually wash them again b/c they sour and rinsing just doesn't cut it.

Does your washer have a delay start setting? I use mine a lot. I'll do the pre-rinse and spin after supper (about 30 minutes), and then before we all go up for bed, I put in the detergent and set the washer to start two hours before DH gets up. This way it's not drawing hot water while he's in the shower, and I have some cushion time to get the diapers hung up the next day before they get smelly.

•  

I have found that 12-14 hours is pushing it in my washer lately. If I leave them longer, I have to actually wash them again b/c they sour and rinsing just doesn't cut it.

Does your washer have a delay start setting? I use mine a lot. I'll do the pre-rinse and spin after supper (about 30 minutes), and then before we all go up for bed, I put in the detergent and set the washer to start two hours before DH gets up. This way it's not drawing hot water while he's in the shower, and I have some cushion time to get the diapers hung up the next day before they get smelly.

I wish I did.  That would be awesome b/c I also find myself wanting to run the dishwasher at the same time as diapers.  I guess the solution is to not forget!  I need to set a reminder on my phone or something.

TTC since September 2009.

IVF #2: +HPT 2/6/12! ~ Boy/Girl Twins!!

• 12 hours is the limit for me.  I've only left them one time (same as you, ON) and I hated not rewashing, but they smelled fine.  

I don't forget anymore 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic

• I usually rinse them ,and I put some eucalyptus oil with lavender to made sure they don't smell.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Happens to me all the time! I usually just do another rinse in the morning
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers.
    image image image. image
  • I leave them in there for 10-11 hours all the time because I throw them in before work.  Haven't noticed any stink yet.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"