May 2014 Moms

smoothie recipes?

Before pregnancy, I did a lot of weight training and loved to have a protein smoothie. Now that I am pregnant, I am not sure I need all that protein powder with extra junk in it. What do you all use in your smoothies?

I always did vanilla protein powder, almond milk, frozen banana. What can I use as a substitute for the protein powder? Nothing with too much sugar would be ideal. Plain greek yogurt doesn't seem to give it any good sweet taste like the protein powder did.

Re: smoothie recipes?

• I've always just made them with whatever fruit I felt like using, ice, and orange juice. Sometimes, I'll add in Greek yogurt but it's not a necessity at all. I've honestly never tried a smoothie with any kind of milk in it- unless you count shakes when made with ice cream.

Just as an aside, do you really need protein powder when milk has protein in it?
    BabyName Tickerimage  BabyFruit Ticker  
    DD born 2/3/03
    BFP 3/21/13 w/ EDD 12/02/13, C/P 3/29/13.
    BFP 9/18/13 w/ EDD 5/26/14,
    Beta #1 @ 14-16dpo = 375, progesterone 33.6
    Beta #2 @ 20-22 dpo = 8,782!
    Beta #3 @ 27-29dpo = 44,230, dx subchorionic hemorrhage/ threatened mc
    Beta #4 @ 29-31dpo = 72, 080 :)
    Grow, little one, grow!

***** All  AL  Welcome *****

• Almond milk, baby spinach and baby kale, fresh ripe banana/mango/pineapple, frozen mango/strawberries/blueberries, and I occassionally add a little Spiru-tein protein powder (I like the raspberry flavor best).  For me, the addition of a banana adds the sweetness I need.  The Spirutein is very low sugar, and doesn't add much sweetness.  I did one recently with plain greek yogurt, almond milk, and fresh mango...it was REALLY good and just sweet enough.  I also occassionally add chia seeds to my smoothies... almond butter works too. 

• Loading the player...
  • I've been making smoothies every weekend. I use about half a cup of the strawberry banana V8Fusion, a few hunks of frozen banana, a few frozen strawberries, some frozen pineapple and a few spoonfuls of the cabot vanilla greek yogurt.

it comes out freakin DELICIOUS.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I take some instant/quick cook oats and will put them in the blender first to break them down and then add milk (or soy), banana, yougert, cinnamon, honey (if I want to sweeten it up) and if I feel the need for extra I add some peanut butter.
  • My favorite is a fake Shamrock shake. With that said, I always get real Shamrock shakes too, when they're available, but this is still a good recipe for when you need a fix during the off season, and it has some health benefits! I don't use real measurements, because sometimes I make a big batch in the large blender, and sometimes I'm just using the individual blender.

-Special K vanilla protein shake
    -Spinach
    -Avacado
    -Frozen banana (I like to put a lot because this is the "ice cream" part)
    -Honey for sweetness
    -A tiny bit of mint extract (you don't want too much...a little goes a long way).

You can also use low fat vanilla ice cream or frozen yogurt instead of the banana, and also I've used milk and a little vanilla extract instead of the protein shake before.

I find it's best to blend the spinach with the liquid first and get that smooth before adding in the rest of the ingredients.

Mommy to my sweet boy, JG, born May 15, 2014

Baby #2 due 4/26/16!

• My standard is a banana, large handful of spinach or kale, frozen peaches/mango and/or frozen berries, with either almond milk or a little juice to get it going. Other things I toss in depending on my current needs are chia seeds, yogurt, psyllium fiber, nuts or hemp protein. The fruit is plenty sweet, so just add more if it's too earthy.

I used to make a smoothie base from something I saw on Pinterest (this is my rough guess): 1/2c cashews/almonds, bunch of spinach, 3-4 oranges peeled, 1 pkg frozen mango & coconut water. I'd freeze it in silicon muffin tins & transfer to a ziplock bag. Then I'd put 2 of those plus whatever I had that needed to go: bananas, berries, fresh fruit (except apples, blech) or the other add-ins I mentioned above.

For a treat, I make a simple banana, milk, peanut butter & cocoa powder smoothie.
  • I rely on Greek yogurt for protein but adding honey may help you sweeten it up without lots of fake sugar. I also do banana, any fruits I have, juice, milk, flaxseed, coconut oil, and spinach. I'm a fruit smoothie addict. My Nutribullet is my BFF.
  • I'm a banana hater. At least when they are in smoothies. But we use almond milk and/or Greek yogurt to get a dose of protein.

Our standard is a handful of spinach or kale. frozen berries or pineapple, and Naked juice (usually green machine) or almond milk.

Only time I will put in a banana is with a scoop of PB and some cocoa powder. makes a yummy after-dinner treat
                          PitaPata Dog tickers

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Get Garden of life raw protein (amazon or whole foods) - it is vegan/gf overall just super good with nothing added!
  • I do vanilla Greek yogurt and spinach--and then whatever else I have on hand and sounds good...some combination of frozen fruit and almond or coconut milk. Or even skim milk, if that's all we have.

BabyFruit Ticker

• You can always add some silken tofu.  It doesn't add any taste at all but it does up the protein content and it gives a nice texture in smoothies without the acid from plain yogurt (which to me tastes like sour cream).

BFP#1 10 wk missed mc      

BFP#2 DS born at 40+2 on 8/14/12  BFP#3 DD Born at 39+3 on 5/13/14

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"