August 2013 Moms

Eczema that won't end...

ludaliludali member
edited January 2014 in August 2013 Moms
What has given your LO relief? DD's just seems to be getting worse. I've been using the ewg.org site to find gentle cleansers and creams, but nothing is working. She has VERY fair skin so the patches really show up...luckily its winter here and she's covered.

I tried a Babyganics wash, Burt's Bees wash and lotion, Aveeno wash and eczema cream.... I just bought the California Baby eczema wash and a Babyganics eczema cream.

What has worked for your LO?

Re: Eczema that won't end...

• We've been using cerave cream after bath and once in the am. Not completely gone but a lot better!
  • Oh and we've used lots of Baby Aquaphor!

I'll look up cerave...I havent heard of that one!
  • Loading the player...
  • Emu Oil. 
    My daughter had it bad and its the only thing that didn't burn her or make it worse, and it healed it completely within a couple of days. 
    image image

• I bathe lo with babyganics and then put a hydrocortisone lotion all over the affected areas (dr prescribed) and that has really helped. I also will put Aquaphor on the REALLY dry spots.
  • I use babo botanicals bath wash; then California Baby Calendula Cream while he is still damp; and then a thick layer of aquaphor over top of that.  We were bathing only once a week to try and help, but it actually seems like more often is helping so we are at 3 times a week right now.  On the nights we don't take a bath I put a damp cloth on his skin to give it some moisture before doing the lotion and then aquaphor.  

On the weekends when he's not at daycare I do this twice a day.  Sometimes I also add extra applications of just aquaphor randomly.  With this routine I have finally started to see an improvement.  
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Out of curiosity, do you FF? My son had awful eczema that got increasingly worse and would not go away no matter what. It turns out he was allergic to his "hypo allergenic" formula.  Hope your LO gets relief soon!

• Out of curiosity, do you FF? My son had awful eczema that got increasingly worse and would not go away no matter what. It turns out he was allergic to his "hypo allergenic" formula.  Hope your LO gets relief soon!

I don't...BF here.
  • I use the Avenno Calming Wash along with the Aveeno baby eczema lotion.... It doesnt clear it up completely, but helps tremendously.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• We use California baby for wash and she gets coated in aquaphor. I've also used the aveeno oatmeal packets or just put some oatmeal in a cut up piece of pantyhose (the toe) and thrown that in the tub. That helps.
  • @nnikki10 love the idea of oatmeal in the toe!!
  • DS's isn't awful but what we've found that helps is the Paula's choice lip and body balm. We ordered it online from her website. It's kinda pricey at $10ish dollars for .5 oz but it seems to be lasting a while and helps without burning on the broken skin.

It's not something to apply liberally over the whole body like a lotion but works really well for spot treatments. I'm going to order the body butter to try on him too since this works so well.

• I have a redhead. He's sensitive. Here is our routine:
    Nightly bath with Aveeno oatmeal wash
    Nightly lather of Aveeno Excema cream
    After eating and almost asleep- a coat of hydrocortisone cream.
    First thing in the morning, a coat of Aquaphor.
    At lunch, more hydrocortisone cream.
    Married DH <3 : 7/7/12; 3 fur babies (2 dogs and 1 cat)
    DS born 9/3/13; DD born 7/22/15; LO due 5/28/18
    FS (age 5) and FD (age 2) to become AS/AD very soon!

• I think I should add a morning routine...at this point I've only been applying after bath time. Thanks ladies! I have a lot of good ideas here. :-)
  • DS isn't too bad but we bathe with Burt's Bee's baby wash and shampoo (lukewarm bath nightly but only use wash every other night) and then do a thick layer of aquaphor, then put him in a sleeper for the night. Once throughout the day we put on Burt's Bee's (fragrance free) lotion.
  • Id go easy on the steroidal treatments...
    image image

• Soleil3 said:

Id go easy on the steroidal treatments...

Ours is under doctor supervision- his skin actually cracks it is so severe.
    Married DH <3 : 7/7/12; 3 fur babies (2 dogs and 1 cat)
    DS born 9/3/13; DD born 7/22/15; LO due 5/28/18
    FS (age 5) and FD (age 2) to become AS/AD very soon!

• The aveeno eczema products burned my daughter :( have you tried actual oatmeal bathes?
    image image

• I bathe LO everyday with warm water and soap every other day. Spot treat with OTC cortisone cream and cover her with aquaphor. This week her eczema really started spreading not sure why so I skipped the bath all together yesterday and it looks a little better.

Just to give a heads up. I have really bad eczema on my hands since being pregnant and the aveeno baby eczema cream burned so bad. I'm sure everyone reacts differently.
  • DS also had a bad reaction to Aveeno bath wash and Aveeno eczema cream. I use cetaphil as a cleanser in the bath. I put aquaphor on him after his bath at night and in the morning after he gets up. It was working until he started daycare I think he is allergic to something the dcp wears. We have a prescription cream now. The dr said to add the prescription to our established routine. She also suggested a humidifier.
  • rfrazier611rfrazier611 member
    edited February 2014
    We give a bath every day, but only use soap twice a week or less.  Then I coat his legs, chin, and cheeks with Bag Balm as we're putting his jammies on.  If it's worse than normal, I grease him up at every diaper change.  It's the only thing that has worked for us.

Edit: We also run a humidifier in his room 24/7 and that seems to help a little, too.
  • Our ped recommended a thin layer cortisone cream 3x a day then cover that in a lotion, aquafor, etc. it worked really well. However our ped said to buy new, non generic cortisone because it expires within 6 months. (Generic apparently come from China and so he said by the time it gets on the shelves here, it's pretty much expired.) We had been using one that was older than six months and after I started using a new one, it cleared up. Good luck.
  • My pedi just gave us a prescription for a medicated oil. LO has been having dermatitis issues since he was tiny and while coconut oil was helping it wasn't going away entirely. We just started but I hope it helps! I want my poor baby skin to be smooth and "baby soft". (I don't think the condition bothers him as he never tries to itch or fuss).
    photo crunchy_zps41233998.gifimagephoto crunchy_zps41233998.gif
    My baby is ONE!!

• We've been on a eczema roller coaster in our home. Like anything, every baby is different and what works for my kid, might not work for yours but here's our routine:

In the am, we have an oil steroid that we spot treat with. We apply the oil to the needed areas and let it set for half an hour before "buttering the baby" head to toe with aquaphor. If his skin feels dry at any point during the day, those areas get more aquaphor during diaper changes. In the evening, the babe gets a quick bath with warm water. Twice a week I'll use Cali Baby super sensitive wash otherwise he just gets dunked. We use a wash cloth just to ring water over him, the wash cloth never rubs his skin. After the bath, it's a race to get him "buttered" again. The Dr says to get it done within three minutes. We use a compounded aquaphor with cortisone on the rash areas and plan aquaphor everywhere else.

Of course the oil and compounded cortisone require a prescription so check with your pedi on what they recommend.

Other tips: if the product has any fragrance, don't use it. Dress baby in natural fibers, 100% cotton is great. Limit rubbing to the skin (this is getting harder for us now that our LO is starting to move around a lot). If you use a humidifier, be sure to clean it well daily. I wash everything now with the hypoallergenic detergent, not just the baby cloths but also ours and our bedding and towels-anything he may come in contact with.

Hope that helps and I hope your LO is doing better soon. :)
    imageimage
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Olivia's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Try mixing tallow oil with coconut oil. It's a miracle.

photo crunchy_zps41233998.gif
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"