October 2014 Moms

Home Birth death rates released

So apparently MANA, Midwives Alliance of North America, finally released the number about death rates from home births and it is 5.5 (450%) times more likely to result in neonatal death than hospital birth. 

"The overall death rate from labor through six weeks was 2.06 per 1000 when higher risk women (i.e., those with breech babies or twins, those attempting VBAC, or those with preeclampsia or gestational diabetes) are included in the sample, and 1.61 per 1000 when only low risk women are included. "

According to the CDC, the neonatal death rate for low risk white women at term is .38 per 1000 births. (wonder.cdc.gov/)

Further, they say "Of 222 babies presenting in breech position, 5 died either during labor or the neonatal period." 

So the death rate for a home breech birth is 20/1000 vs .8/1000 in the hospital, or 2,400% higher. 

The c-section rate for attempted home breech births was over 42%. 

Here's the link to the MANA information https://cfmidwifery.org/Resources/Item.aspx?ID=169

Here is more information as well https://www.skepticalob.com/2014/01/homebirth-midwives-reveal-death-rate-450-higher-than-hospital-birth-announce-that-it-shows-homebirth-is-safe.html

(sorry they are not stick because I have never figured out how to do that)

So does this change anyones minds about wanting to have a home birth if you were considering it? I personally never had any interest in having a home birth I just thought it was interesting and good information for anyone considering if that is the right option for them. 

image image
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Home Birth death rates released

• My step brother and his wife have had four home births.  I am pretty sure he "read a book" and they did it in their bathtub.  They stop telling my stepdad when they were expecting because it made him so upset.

All of their children were born healthy. They did have a little girl die of SIDS at 4 months but the doctors said it wasn't because of home birth.

I am all for doing what you like, but this chick is going to the hospital.

• There are conflicting studies and opinions about the safety of homebirth.  What I have learned: those who are considering, choose a practitioner that is trained to perform emergency interventions and don't delay going to the hospital if something is wrong.

I'll have another hospital birth because that's what I feel comfortable with.

Peanut 1.23.11 ~ Bean 9.06.12 ~ Little Boy 9.24.14
  • Loading the player...
  • I don't think is be comfortable having a home birth, but I do want a natural birth and will be going to the midwife center
  • I'm just shocked that someone would attempt a breech birth! And at home?! That is crazy! Either try to manually "flip" baby or schedule your c-section.

BFP #1 8.6.2011 EDD 4.7.2012 DS1 born 3.30.2012

BFP #2 1.21.2014 EDD 10.1.2014 natural m/c 1.30.2014
    BFP #3 4.30.2014 EDD 1.10.2015 DS2 born 12.31.2014
    imageimageimage

• I am planning on going to a birthing center with a midwife. Their policy is to transfer you to the hospital if you are breech, they won't even attempt to deliver the baby. I wonder how many of those numbers are unassisted home births? I know that is a rising trend..
  • Yeah I just don't understand the whole idea of having a baby at home. I understand the birthing center but that is just not for me. But at home why would you want all that mess in your home. Yuck. 
     image image
  • aander6 said:

Yeah I just don't understand the whole idea of having a baby at home. I understand the birthing center but that is just not for me. But at home why would you want all that mess in your home. Yuck. 

Meh, I never understand why this argument if brought up. There are plenty of reasons why home births are not right for everyone, but this one always makes me scratch my head. It's not like the baby pops out and the midwife says 'k, I'm out!' and you're left to clean up. They take care off everything, including cleanup.

n Chart</a>"http://www.fertilityfriend.com" style="font-size:smaller;" >Ovulation Charww.fertilityfriend.com" style="font-size:smaller;" >Ovulation Chart</a>

BabyFruit Ticker

• ADH0906 said:
    Yeah I just don't understand the whole idea of having a baby at home. I understand the birthing center but that is just not for me. But at home why would you want all that mess in your home. Yuck. 
    Meh, I never understand why this argument if brought up. There are plenty of reasons why home births are not right for everyone, but this one always makes me scratch my head. It's not like the baby pops out and the midwife says 'k, I'm out!' and you're left to clean up. They take care off everything, including cleanup.
    I mean I get that but there is just so much blood and different body fluids involved in child birth. I just could not get over all of that being in my bed and when I had DD I ended up hemorrhaging very badly. I just would not want all that blood in my house. That being said that is a very personal thing for me I don't judge people who have home births I just cannot personally understand why people want to have them. 
     image image
  • I just don't get why with everything the medical community has done to cater to all sides of this argument, why you would insist on delivering at home. If you are low risk and want to go natural...great! You still have so many options in a hospital: in a birthing tub, with the assistance of a doula or CNMs, or in a midwife center directly attached to a hospital. For me, I am such a worry wort, so I would never feel comfortable delivering more than a few steps away from an OR. The comforts of home are just not worth risking the safety of my baby if something were to go wrong, which no one can predict.
    Me & DH: 34 - Married 2011
    DS: 10-9-14
    MC: 9-4-16

• I could never personally do a home birth because I am too scared but I understand why someone would choose that option.  I know two women that had positive experiences with a home birth. Both of these women have a history of super fast labors. Traveling to the hospital or birthing center would have been risky for them. (One in fact had her previous baby in the car on the way to the hospital). There are risks and benefits of any option you choose.

4 losses- MC in 2006, MMC in February 2012 at 12 weeks and MMC (twins) August 2016 at 12 weeks. Pregnant again- 11/7/16. Another loss on December 28, 2016.

BFP April 23, 2017.  Our triple rainbow baby! EDD: January 2, 2018. It's a boy!
  • My mom had my sister at home, but that's because she had an incredibly fast labor. I mean, my mom and dad prepared for it, and she was using midwives who happened to live in our neighborhood for her hospital birth anyway (they had been their for my brother and I's births). Since she had already labored very quickly twice, they all knew this was an option. She woke up really early, she was already too far gone, and the midwives came and she had my sister while my brother and I slept in the other room. I know I was sound asleep until my dad told us to come meet our sister. I think it worked well for them, but that was also after two un-medicated completely trouble free hospital births and working with the same women who had helped her deliver before. Personally, I am not a badass like my mom. I don't have her pain tolerance.

TTC #1 since 11/2012
    Me-31, H-27
    **Loss 1-Cycle 7(June 2013) at 5w6d-CP**Loss 2-Cycle 11(October 2013) at 5w4d-CP**
    **Loss 3-Cycle 14 (January-February 2014)-M/C dx 2/10, EP dx 2/24, MTX 2/25**
    Beta Hell--hCG finally down to 0 - 6/20/14
    SA normal. Genetic testing normal. Hormonal testing normal.
    HSG 6/30/14 - found blocked left tube and 2 'bubbles' on uterine wall.
    Hysteroscopy/Lap--8/4/14 - Tubes unblocked. Polyps removed from uterine wall. Septum removed.
     9/30/14--Off the bench! Unmedicated TI through December 2014
    BFP 12/14/14!!! Beta #1, 12/16: 990 Beta #2, 12/18: Over 2000! Beta #3, 12/22: over 8000!
     U/S #1, 12/23: gestational sac, possible heartbeat
    U/S #2, 12/30: HEARTBEAT! 128bpm, measuring right on at 7w EDD: 8/19/2015
    U/S #3, 1/9: BPM in the 180s, IT'S HAPPENING!!!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I don't understand the choice. I get a natural birth at a birth center or maybe even a midwife in your home but I don't get people who try and do it all on their own. Why risk a life when so many things can be prevented and go wrong?
  • I don't understand the choice. I get a natural birth at a birth center or maybe even a midwife in your home but I don't get people who try and do it all on their own. Why risk a life when so many things can be prevented and go wrong?

Admittedly, I didn't read the links.  But what you're talking about if a 'free birth' I think? I think those are insane, but most home births include a trained and certified midwife (and if they don't, I also think they're crazy).  The numbers on attempted breech births or high risk attempted home births have no impact on my view of home birth, because no midwife worth her salt attempts a home birth when the mother is high risk. 

n Chart</a>"http://www.fertilityfriend.com" style="font-size:smaller;" >Ovulation Charww.fertilityfriend.com" style="font-size:smaller;" >Ovulation Chart</a>

BabyFruit Ticker

• Well that makes sense. I still find home birth risky even when midwife is there.

My first delivery ended in emergency c section. The cord was wrapped twice around neck and once around torso. Plus when they got in there she said I had shallow pelvis and 7 pounds would have even been too big anyway. He would have never gotten out.

I'm glad and thankful they were there at a facility.

I don't have judgment on others doing it. I just don't get it.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"