May 2014 Moms

Inert Plastic Crib Mattress Covers

Anyone use or plan to use one of these? I'm a little paranoid about SIDS, especially since we're at risk of delivering pre-term. The information on sites like BabeSafe seems reasonable, but I can't find any independent research to back it up. On the other hand $35 doesn't seem like an unreasonable amount of money, even of what I'm paying for is a placebo effect.
Lilypie - Personal picture Lilypie - Personal picture Lilypie - Personal picture 
 DS1 - 7/2011, DD 12/2012, DS2 - 4/2014, MMC - 12/2015
Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Re: Inert Plastic Crib Mattress Covers

• I used one with my SD. I guess there has never been a case reported with a child who slept on one so I went for it. $35 is a small price to pay for the peace of mind.... Even if that's all it helps with. I just couldn't imagine skimping and then something happening. Almost better to have beer heard about them once you do you kind of have to go for it.
  • I had to google this, but is it if you are reusing a matress?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • danabsd said:
    I had to google this, but is it if you are reusing a matress?
    I'm paranoid about reusing mattresses because of unsubstantiated internet facts I read about used mattresses increasing the rates of SIDS.  The fiscal side of me questions why I'm going to buy a new crib mattress when we don't need to.  The paranoid mom side of me is just going to buy a new mattress.  
    Lilypie - Personal picture Lilypie - Personal picture Lilypie - Personal picture 
  • I am not sure I know what it is - going from PP, is it a cover for a used mattress? If it's $35, to cover a used mattress, save up an extra $25 and just buy a mattress. There are plenty of decent mattresses for around $50.

Lilypie Maternity tickers

My Hooligans.....Samuel Brice-Fritzgerald (6/30/10) and Payton Elizabeth (7/23/08)
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic 

FEB SIGGY CHALLENGE
    favorite wedding picture
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• I'd just buy a new mattress.  You can get one at Walmart for $35-$40.
    My Blog
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers

TTC #1 since February 2011
    Me: 29 (3/5/13- high NK cells)  DH: 28 (5/8/12- MFI low morph and motility)
    Cycle #21 (IUI#1), Cycle #22 (HSG 9/21/12) and Cycle #23 (IUI#2)=  image
    Cycle #24- December Snow Bunny IVF #1
    ER 12/6/12 (14R, 11M, 9F), ET 12/9/12 transferred 2 day 3 embies
    Bleeding and low betas=very cautious image C/P 5W3D
    Cycle #26 March Lucky Duck- FET #1
    scheduled 3/20/13- CANCELLED- lining issues
    Cycle #27 May Emerald- FET #1.2
    delayed- Starting Trental for 3 months + natural cycles Cycle #28-30=  image
    Cycle #31 August Shooting Star- FET #1.3 
    transferred 1 hatching blast 8/21/13= imageBetas 8/30 (108) and 9/3 (565)

U/S 9/19/13- HR is 128!  U/S #2 10/4/13- HR is 174!
    It's a BOY!

• The whole BabySafe organization just sits to wrong with me. I mean, there is nothing wrong with their product, it obviously won't harm a child/baby, but all of the research and stats they present about it preventing SIDS seems very suspicious to me. Especially since the scientist that does this research and endorses it actually OWNS the company. It just seems like they fear monger a bit to sell plastic sheeting.

All of the research they link to is in some-way linked back to their product/company. They are New Zealand based and when I first heard about them and their research I looked on the SIDS New Zealand website (like the actual government run one) and there is no mention of these sheets as a recommendation or prevention method (which Baby Safe claims mattress wrapping is a New Zealand-based initiative, making it seem like the government recommends their product). The whole thing just really seems like pushy sales tactics to new parents, using SIDS as a scare. If this product really was the answer to SIDS, it would be well known and sold in every baby store.

I am also paranoid about SIDS (among all the other things I fear for baby) and like you was thinking "what's the harm in a preventative measure), but the more I researched the more I felt I was being tricked by this company.

We are going to planning on following all the government/medical association recommendations for preventing SIDS, as well as getting an Angel Care monitor (it sounds an alarm if no movement is sensed for more than 15-20 seconds). SIDS is terrifying, but I kind of think companies like Baby Safe are taking advantage of those fears.
    When Fluff Mail Arrives:
  • I read all about this too, I am so paranoid. https://www.securebeginnings.com/index.php this is what we have. Its stupid expensive but worth it to me.

• *warning - infant loss mentioned*

RachelCA29  Thank you for this.  We'd already determined that we're going to buy a new mattress for each kid regardless.  When friends in Australia linked this, it looked "promising" but I haven't really been able to find anything to substantiate their claims, or similar products.  We already have the AngelCare monitor from DS1, and he'll probably outgrow it by the time we're ready to put DS2 in the big crib.  I bought a Snuza to use on DS2 while he sleeps in the bassinet.  I wasn't so overly paranoid about SIDS before we lost my daughter due to complications from her being pre-term.  As it looks entirely possible that DS2 might arrive early as well, I've been looking into possible complications that we should be aware of for pre-term babies, and keep seeing evidence that SIDS occurrence is higher in preemies.  So I'm going to be extra paranoid, but I'm not sure if this is one of those areas that's worth it.
  • *warning - infant loss mentioned*

RachelCA29  Thank you for this.  We'd already determined that we're going to buy a new mattress for each kid regardless.  When friends in Australia linked this, it looked "promising" but I haven't really been able to find anything to substantiate their claims, or similar products.  We already have the AngelCare monitor from DS1, and he'll probably outgrow it by the time we're ready to put DS2 in the big crib.  I bought a Snuza to use on DS2 while he sleeps in the bassinet.  I wasn't so overly paranoid about SIDS before we lost my daughter due to complications from her being pre-term.  As it looks entirely possible that DS2 might arrive early as well, I've been looking into possible complications that we should be aware of for pre-term babies, and keep seeing evidence that SIDS occurrence is higher in preemies.  So I'm going to be extra paranoid, but I'm not sure if this is one of those areas that's worth it.
    I saw something about the covers linked on another board/discussion very early in my pregnancy and then got lost in links between the company website, "research" sites, etc. but when Google wasn't really turning up much except the same few sites I kind of got suspicious. But for me as a FTM you hear one little extra thing about SIDS or safety and it's easy to latch on. It just sucks a company would take advantage of that.
    When Fluff Mail Arrives:
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"