Breastfeeding
Options

Pumping question

So I pump three times at work for 20-30 minutes each time. The early session I usually get a total of 5 oz. The second session I get around 2 or 3 oz and the last session I get around 3 or 4 oz. My DS eats 4-4.5 oz in a single feeding. I'm wondering if I should stop watching the clock and only stop when I get enough for a full feeding? During the 20-30 minutes I usually only letdown 2 times. It's this normal?

Re: Pumping question

• Options
    VitaLunaVitaLuna member
    edited January 2014
    How frequently are you pumping? You're better off pumping more often for less time than less often for more time.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    I try to nurse before I leave for work around 8 then I pump at 10:00, 1:00 and 4:00
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I pump 3 times at work, 1 time after work (before I drive home - dh picks up DS) and 1 time before bed.

If I don't get enough, I set my alarm and get up at 11 pm and pump (i go to bed at 9 pm and DS usually wakes up around 2 to eat).

Also, I will pump after I feed him too (especially at the 2 am to 4 am feed - whenever he wakes up).

It is a lot of pumping! But I was/am determined to pump in a day what he eats in a day.

Anniversary
    When you've been married this long, you need a ticker to remind you.

Baby Boy M - 08/01/2013 

Expecting Baby Bean February 2017
  • Options
    Thanks for the responses. I thought it was best to pump for 20-30 min then I saw on a post someone say that it's best to pump until u get the right amount instead of watching the clock. Then I was just confused. I'm a FTM and I don't know anyone else who BF and pumps so I rely on u ladies lol
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"