Babies on the Brain
Options

Maternity Leave/FMLA

We're TTC now, and we always planned on me being a SAHM when we had kids, so I've never really paid attention to maternity leave policies. Except now I just started a new job that I love.

I don't know what will happen, when I'll get pregnant, if I'll want to stay home, etc. But now I'm just wondering, what does it mean that FMLA doesn't kick in until 12 months of employment? I assume no paid maternity leave and no guarantee of a job when you return, but is it generally up to their discretion? If I were to get KU this cycle then I'd be due 2 months shy of a year of employment. Agin, I'm really not terribly concerned, since I may not work anyway, but just wondering.
imageimageimage
BFP 6/15/14   EDD: 2/24/15

BabyFetus Ticker

Re: Maternity Leave/FMLA

• Options
    FMLA only protects your job. It makes sure you have a position when you return. It does not pay you
  • Options

FMLA only protects your job. It makes sure you have a position when you return. It does not pay you

And yes, it kicks in after you've been with your employer for 12 months. Not all employers are eligible for FMLA - I think they have to have at least 25 employees (maybe 50?).

Also, the company has to hold *A* position for you, not necessarily the same one you had before leave.
    Married November 2009
    Clara, August 2014 
    Baby Boy due October 2017
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    FMLA ensures you will have your job or a comparable one when you return from leave, but that doesn't mean your employer would give you the boot without it. I'd imagine that as long as your weren't a terrible employee, most places would rather have you come back then have to hire/train someone new. But there's no guarantee.
  • Options
    I read that STD is what pays you, and that has to happen during an FMLA qualifying leave, so I think I get that and that I would not get paid. I'm not concerned about the money, more about having a job if I'm under the 12 month mark.
    imageimageimage

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    FMLA ensures you will have your job or a comparable one when you return from leave, but that doesn't mean your employer would give you the boot without it. I'd imagine that as long as your weren't a terrible employee, most places would rather have you come back then have to hire/train someone new. But there's no guarantee.

That was my line of thinking too, but I haven't found anything that suggests that, so I was wondering what others thought. Thanks!
    imageimageimage

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    Ducktale said:

That was my line of thinking too, but I haven't found anything that suggests that, so I was wondering what others thought. Thanks!

I actually mentioned this to my DH the other night bc I was just hired by his company and it sounds like that's the case for my new employer which makes me happy. But they are a very large medical company and I will be a part of a good sized team, so me being out on leave won't affect them as much as if I worked in a smaller company or had a specific job that no one else was responsible for.
  • Options
    Thanks!
    imageimageimage

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    I started my job when I was 2 months pregnant. I had DD when I had been there for only 7 months. I got 6 weeks off not paid and came back to my same job. Look into your companies policies it all depends on your employer.

And for the record, I work for a pharmacy that has over 1,000 employees.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Keep in mind that there is a minimum hour requirement for FMLA too. You have to work at least 1250 hours in that year- easy for full time employees but not for part time or people with classified jobs in school (for example).
    Baby boy H is here! Born 2/1/2014 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Mysterious_wife: "And for the love of all things that sparkle, remove your last name" on BOTB.
  • Options
    hi - you ladies gave great answers! i just wanted to chime in that i work in hr and specialize in leave. if anyone has questions please feel to send me a message!

BFP #1: 4/7/14, EDD: 12/16/14 -- Missed Miscarriage - D&C  on 5/13 at 9 weeks
    BFP #2: 10/24/14, EDD: 07/04/15 -- Chemical Pregnancy confirmed 10/27
    BFP #3: 11/28/14, EDD: 08/06/15 -- Strong heartbeat at 6 weeks, Missed Miscarriage - D&C on 1/9 at 10 weeks

rainbows
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"