Trouble TTC

HSG Results - One Blocked Tube RE Says Next Step Clomid

sundaybrunchsundaybrunch member
edited January 2014 in Trouble TTC
I had my HSG today and discovered that one of my tubes (the right one I think - not that it matters) is blocked.  RE didn't think it was a spasm even though it was blocked where it meets my uterus.  

Anyways, he said that the next step will be to try Clomid and we can talk about Femara as well.  His reasoning is that Clomid should get me ovulating on both sides instead of switching back and forth.  My question is, with one blocked tube it's still totally possible to get pregnant, right?  Of course I've scared myself by googling the crap out of "one blocked tube" and found a lot of ladies said that after discovering one blocked tube their RE went straight to IVF.  

Anyone in the same boat?  One blocked tube pursuing cycles on Clomid or similar?  I'm pretty sure there's definitely still hope but it would be reassuring to hear from others with similar situations.  
Me:36 DH:40
Married since May, 2012; TTC since September, 2012
DX: Blocked Fallopian Tube, Hashimoto's
March 2014 - Clomid, Trigger, TI = BFN, April 2014 - Clomid, Trigger, TI = BFN, May 2014 - Clomid, estrogen, trigger, IUI = BFN, June & July 2014 - Natural cycles = BFN, August 2014 - Femara, estrogen, trigger, IUI = BFN, September 2014 - Femara, estrogen, trigger, IUI = BFN
Prepping for IVF in with ER/ET slated for early February

Re: HSG Results - One Blocked Tube RE Says Next Step Clomid

• Awesome, thank you!  Did you find with Clomid that you still had follies on one side or the other?  I ask because my RE said that Clomid should help with follies on both sides.  I know, I have a lot of reading up to do on Clomid and the like! :)
    Me:36 DH:40
    Married since May, 2012; TTC since September, 2012
    DX: Blocked Fallopian Tube, Hashimoto's
    March 2014 - Clomid, Trigger, TI = BFN, April 2014 - Clomid, Trigger, TI = BFN, May 2014 - Clomid, estrogen, trigger, IUI = BFN, June & July 2014 - Natural cycles = BFN, August 2014 - Femara, estrogen, trigger, IUI = BFN, September 2014 - Femara, estrogen, trigger, IUI = BFN
    Prepping for IVF in with ER/ET slated for early February

• I always got more than one mature follie on Clomid but they were usually on the same side. I think only my cycle of Clomid+Follistim did I get follies on both sides. But everyone's body is different and it is totally possible you could get one on both! Good luck!

********Siggy/Ticker Warning***********

Me (35) no known issues DH (37) MFI. TTC 21 months (24 cycles)
    Dx MFI with low to normal count, low motility, morphology 3%
    HSG normal, ultrasound and labs on me all normal. 

1 cycle of Clomid 50mg and TI, unmonitored by OBGYN= BFN
    1 cycle of Clomid 50mg and IUI, unmonitored by OBGYN= BFN
    Started seeing an RE!!
    2 more cycles of clomid 50mg (great response), with IUI and Pregnyl trigger (4.8-8 mil good ones after wash) = all BFN
    1 cycle of clomid 50mg (3-7) followed by Follistim 75iu (7-11) + IUI = BFN
    December 2013 DH saw urologist and is taking Anastrozole, CoQ10, and L-Carnitine
    IUI #5 natural cycle (needed a med break) = BFN
    IUI #6 Follistim 75iu (CD3-10) + Pregnyl (CD11) + IUI (final count after wash 300K) = BFN
    IUI #7 Follistim 75iu (CD3-9) + Pregnyl (CD11) + IUI on 2/20 (post wash count 12.5 million)= BFN
    IUI cancelled (DH OOT) Clomid 50mg (CD3-7) 1 follicle +(not well timed) TI = BFN
    IUI #8 and last one!! Clomid 100mg (CD3-7) +OPK before US + IUI 4/17 (post wash 8.5 mil)= BFN

Pre-IVF testing complete! SHG great and measurements taken! Labs for infectious diseases completed, FSH (5.4), TSH (1.6), Prolactin (11), AMH (2.6), Estradiol (40).

Started BCP 5/29 and Lupron 6/11 prep for IVF #1! Started follistim 225u/day on 6/28. Monitoring on 7/2 >15 follicles measuring 11-14, E2 758. Monitoring on 7/5 all ready to go!! Great follicle sizes and lining is at 9. Tigger 7/5, ER 7/7 16R 9M 3F. Stimmed too fast in just 7 days. 7/10 3dt of 2 8-cell grade 2 & 4. 7/14 P4 >60.
    Holy crap BFP!!!
    Beta #1 (14dpo) 7/21 112 Beta #2 (16dpo) 7/23 286 a Beta #3 (18dpo) 7/25 761 Beta #4 (21dpo) 2631!!! Hold on tight little embies!!
      First Ultrasound 8/7- 1 perfect little bean with a beating heart 117bpm!! EDD 3/30.
    Second ultrasound 9/2 Little bean measuring a few days ahead with a heart rate of 161!

PAIF/SAIF/All Welcome!

Pregnancy Ticker

March 15 Siggy Challenge: You had one job

• Loading the player...
  • It is totally possible to go with the Clomid or Femara route for some rounds to get something going on both sides.  But I was in the same position, and I would just say that it depends on your coverage and personal preference/choice.  I had a blocked tube in my HSG that my RE at the time thought was spams, but I was 100% OOP for an IUI and 90% covered for a lap.  So I decided to have a lap/hyst to figure out what was going on and it turned out I had stage 3 endo and blockage around my tube.  Still, one side was fine so could have gone without, but I was glad I got the lap to check things out.  My RE at the time said protocol is similar if there is one blocked side or not, regardless...I just liked knowing what was going on in there before spending $3K per IUI, since I only had to pay about $500 for the lap/hyst surgery.  But everyone has a different situation.  That's what sucks about IF - no clear answers!

Me 33, DH 37 -- TTC since Jan'12 -- Low AMH (0.78) & endo, SA w/ low motility
    IUI's 1-3 = BFN, IVF converted to IUI 4/13 = BFN
    IVF 1.2: 8R 6M 4F -- 2 blastocysts frozen, FET 8/15 = BFP!!
    Beta #s = 445;1,098; 9,545  -- EDD 5/2 -- Team Pink!
    Camila Josephine arrived 4/30 :)
  • I also have a blocked tube. I did 5 rounds of clomid and responded well, but my follies were only one sided. My first round of femera produced only one follie on my blocked side. We are moving on to IUI, hopefully next cycle after the two cysts I have go away. I have never produced follies on both sides unfortunately.

Married 12/4/12

Began TTC 11/2012

Diagnosed as anovulatory 7/2013

Round #1 Clomid 50 mg 8/2013= BFN

Round#2 Clomid 50 mg 9/2013=BFN

First appointment with RE 9/27/2013

HSG showed left tube completely blocked, diagnosed with hypothyroid and began 50 mcg Synthroid, Vitamin D level low and began 2000 iu Vitamin D, Hubby's SA showed "super sperm" according to RE

Round#3 Clomid 50 mg + Ovidrel trigger 10/2013= BFN

Round #4 Clomid 50 mg + Ovidrel trigger 11/2013=BFN

Round #5 Clomid 50 mg (no trigger, on vacation) 12/2012= BFN

Round #1 Femara 2.5 mg, no trigger, IUI cancelled due to early ovulation 1/2014= BFN

1/25/2014= BENCHED for the first time (two leftover follies on the right)

2/7/14 Diagnosed with MTHFR/Benched

4/2014 Round #2 Femara 5mg, IUI #1=BFN

4/28/14 positive opk with no treatment while on break, confirmed with ultrasound= BFN

5/16/14 5mg Femara + trigger + TI=  BFN

6/2014 5mg Femara + trigger + TI= BFN

Awaiting IVF consultation appointment on 7/29/2014

8/8/14 Began BCP's to prep for IVF

9/16/14 Began Lupron injections

9/25/14 Began stimming for IVF #1 with Menopur and Bravelle

10/8/14 10 eggs retrieved

10/13/14 2 embryos transferred

10/21/14 BFP!!!

11/24/14 confirmed that baby stopped growing at 6 weeks, d&c scheduled 

• I had one blocked tube on my first HSG, so my RE sent me to the hospital (not immediately, a few months later) for a second HSG under conscious sedation with an interventional radiologist so that they could use more force on the dye to try to clear the blockage.  It worked.  I think I remember it hurting, but less than the first one and I was high as a kite so I didn't even care. Blockages can be caused by serious things like endo or little things like mucus.  That's why they had me do the second HSG.

I responded well to Clomid and would develop follicles on both sides each month, so I can see the purpose of the approach, but it doesn't seem to make sense to do something like that because you're only playing with half a deck. I'd ask your RE about getting a second HSG under sedation because if you're just blocked by mucus, and they can clear it, you double your odds of getting pregnant.
    Baby girl N born 10/29/14!

**Follow your heart, but take your brain with you**

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"