September 2012 Moms
Options

Granting asylum to refugee children

The company I work for has started offer emergency shelter/foster care for unaccompanied alien children. These are kids, sometimes as young as 8, who have made their way to the US from Central America. They walk, hop trains and take so many risks to cross the border, then they get scooped up and either sent to detention or sent to a shelter program like ours. Most get sent home, but some get to stay in foster care or with relatives they have in the US. The entire program is not discussed very much (even the funding government body does not allow us to openly publicize the details of what we offer), and there are a lot of mixed opinions here as to whether these kids should be granted asylum. So I'm curious, WDS12T?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Granting asylum to refugee children

• Options
    Do the kids qualify for asylum or is it just because they are unaccompanied minors that they are giving them the title of a refugee? I don't know much about this as I mainly hear about the kids that are in foster care because their parents are deported but because the kids were born here they stay. I agree with Network's remarks on reform to keep families together.

James Sawyer 12.3.10
    Leo Richard 9.20.12 

• Options
    I know very little about it/ have no experience, but I'd say we have a responsibility toward unaccompanied minors to provide care and a family.  Except in the case of abuse, every effort should be made to reunite these children with their blood relatives, whether or not that means deportation.  It seems like if we just grant a refugee status because they're young and on their own, and put them in American families, there would be a greater risk of more kids being sent over on their own for that purpose.  I'm not sure there's an easy answer that doesn't contribute to some heartbreaking stories though :-/
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    This is/may be a short-sighted, uninformed opinion, but honestly I have never believed in the restriction of travel across borders - other than the possible exception of people with criminal di. I'm sure there are solid economic reasons to stem the tide of immigration, but in my heart I've always believed that people should be able to go where they want. Especially if they're pursuing a better life for themselves.

This message was approved by the foundation of Erin + beer.
  • Options
    My concern would be, if it started to be common practice to grant asylum to these kids... More people might put their kids at risk by trying to do whatever it takes to get them across the border. And that could just end badly.

• Options
    eshee8198 said:
    This is/may be a short-sighted, uninformed opinion, but honestly I have never believed in the restriction of travel across borders - other than the possible exception of people with criminal di. I'm sure there are solid economic reasons to stem the tide of immigration, but in my heart I've always believed that people should be able to go where they want. Especially if they're pursuing a better life for themselves. This message was approved by the foundation of Erin + beer.
    This is my gut reaction. Then I stop and think that OK, we can't just let everyone come here. But I feel strongly that there should be different rules for minors than adults. And it just seems wrong to me to grab them at the border, place them somewhere and give them food, clothing, education and medical care, and then send them right back to their original situation. The kids are no better off, and it seems like a colossal waste of resources. And I feel for these kids, who take unbelievable risks, whether at their own direction or the prodding of their families, to get somewhere with more opportunities, less abuse, etc.

• Options
    hmp1 said:
    Do the kids qualify for asylum or is it just because they are unaccompanied minors that they are giving them the title of a refugee? I don't know much about this as I mainly hear about the kids that are in foster care because their parents are deported but because the kids were born here they stay. I agree with Network's remarks on reform to keep families together.
    They don't all qualify, and yes they are refugees bc they came alone.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"