May 2014 Moms

Measuring Big

Hi ladies, so I had an appointment with my OB and he measured my fundal height. I'm only 25 weeks and fundal height is at 28 weeks. He says baby looks like she's going to be a 'decent size'. Anyone have experience with measuring big? If so, how big was your baby in the end?

Re: Measuring Big

• I've been measuring big every appointment so far but my MW doesn't seem concerned.   FTM here so I'm curious to read the BTDT moms' experiences. Seems like it doesn't always correlate to baby size. A friend of mine measured big as well her entire pregnancy and her OB estimated she'd have a 9-10 lb baby. And he came out a little over 7 pounds and a week late.
  • LO was measuring a week ahead at A/S. OB says he isn't concerned (would be more concerned if measuring small). I'm just a bit scared now of a natural birth if she's going to be a giant baby haha. I was only 7lb when I was born and DH was a premie cause he was a twin. Just a bit nervous now!
  • Loading the player...
  • One measurement of a few weeks ahead doesn't seem like enough to conclude that your baby will be big.  Sometimes things just grow at different rates.  I'd ignore it.

I didnt mention also that fundal height at 20 weeks was at 22 weeks...maybe I just have a big bump! :) just curious as to what other BTDT moms have experienced
  • I've been measuring consistently big by about 2 weeks (baby has been on the larger end of normal range). Apparently, it's a good thing for your fundal height to be ahead of the game, because your body is stretching in advance of the baby filling the space. That's what my OB said, anyway.

Mommy to my sweet boy, JG, born May 15, 2014

Baby #2 due 4/26/16!

• My girl has been measuring 2 weeks ahead since 19 weeks. My OB did show some concern at my visit last week (after ruling out GD) and said that there is a possibility she may want to induce early (38/39 weeks). It's really too early to tell, but she was just giving me a heads up in case. I was 7lbs 14oz and DH was 7lbs 4oz, so I'm definitely not expecting a 10lb baby.
  • Measuring big is this month's nub theory.

Anyway, my guy measured big and was big. But we both managed. :)

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Tickerimage

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Our DD measured big throughout our third tri. We had extra monitoring because of GD. I want to say she was about 10 days ahead on a few u/s. she was born at 39 weeks at 8 13. I had no issues delivering her and her head was/is always over 100% on the charts. I'm average built at 5'6".

This LO measured 10 days ahead at our 19w u/s and 14 days ahead at our follow-up around 25 weeks. I was charting so my dates are on target. I'm not worried and am hoping to avoid induction which may mean a 9+ pounder. I've heard a ton of stories about both fundel and u/s size being way off at delivery.

little chkn born 06/30/11

baby chkn born 04/22/14

05/13 image 07/13

• sthomas1222sthomas1222 member
    edited January 2014
    Seriously, it doesn't mean shit. I had GD, DD was only 7lbs 13oz at birth. I measured 4-5 weeks ahead until she dropped, then I measured behind. I personally would run from a doctor who's saying baby is going to be big based on that and that alone.

ETA: Also, run like crazy if they're talking induction for big baby. There is NO WAY to diagnose macrosomia outside of delivering baby. https://evidencebasedbirth.com/evidence-for-induction-or-c-section-for-big-baby/

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker
  • @TheBeeCharmer- Side note- I was just looking at your ticker and I thought it said that "Brother Bear" was 1 month old, and then the other ticker said that you're 25 weeks with #3. (Really, it says that it's 1 month until Brother Bear turns two- Oops.) I was going to say that you're super woman for having 2 babies so close together!

(Sorry, preggo brain has turned off math skills...and common sense...and a filter, apparently.)

• With DD I always measured a couple weeks ahead. She was 6lb1oz. I'd take it with a grain of salt.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Nora - 10.26.12

Henry - 5.9.14

• At 22 weeks, my fundal height was on the mark for 22 weeks. At my MFM ultrasound the following week, LO was measuring at 35%ile based on the u/s measurements of her body. I'm not sure how much the two necessarily go hand in hand, sounds like my baby is a tad small for my belly if you ask me. But I also know that plenty of ladies here have been told their babies will be big, and they've been easily 1 lb.+ less than the estimated size/weight when they were birth.

photo May2014jpg photo MomTatWhiteNew40jpg

It’s not that I don’t like you, it’s that I don’t know you. Stranger Danger.
  • Thanks ladies :)
  • Like others said, I wouldn't stress. I measured big with my first and he was 8lbs 9oz when he was born at 41 weeks, which isn't all that big considering he was a week overdue.

Mommy to three beautiful boys! 
    Benjamin Michael 5/17/10
    Lucas Gabriel 3/26/12
    Graham Jonathan 5/1/14

• I measure ahead on fundal height because I'm obese and my own padding gets figured into the measurement. But DS measured ahead in ultrasounds all along too. We had his final growth US at 38-and-a-half weeks and he was projected to weigh 9-and-a-half pounds at birth, and his head was off the charts (literally, it went past 43 weeks and then zeroed out). Sure enough, when he was born, exactly on his due date, he weighed 9 lbs 7 oz and he had to be delivered via c-section bc his head was too large to pass through my pelvic opening.

DS: 11/8/11 | 9 lb 7 oz, 22 in
    DD: 5/22/14 | 9 lb 9 oz, 21.5 in

• Seriously, it doesn't mean shit. I had GD, DD was only 7lbs 13oz at birth. I measured 4-5 weeks ahead until she dropped, then I measured behind. I personally would run from a doctor who's saying baby is going to be big based on that and that alone.

ETA: Also, run like crazy if they're talking induction for big baby. There is NO WAY to diagnose macrosomia outside of delivering baby. https://evidencebasedbirth.com/evidence-for-induction-or-c-section-for-big-baby/
    The last part confuses me. So it is impossible to measure a baby as big, but IUGR is something no one freaks out and tells people to run from their OB about? Maybe there is no way to confirm it until baby is born.
    I had two friends who were told they were going to have large babies. One was 10lbs and one was 11lbs 5oz.

DD1: IUGR, low AFI delivered at 36 weeks

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

DD2: IUGR, low AFI delivered at 37 weeks
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"