September 2012 Moms
Options

Olive Garden And Free Babysitting

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

tryingtogrowareddenfamily.blogspot.com

lifeofadialysiswife.blogspot.com

Re: Olive Garden And Free Babysitting

• Options
    Our country club is doing this for Valentines Day.  Of course, it's much smaller, and there will be a lot fewer children.  I don't think I'd be comfortable leaving my kid with an Olive Garden babysitter.

• Options
    It's not an Olive Garden sitter, they are using a local kids gym it looks like...

View Full Size Image  View Full Size Image
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Sure. I think it's a good idea. I think it would probably get people in for dinner that wouldn't normally go.

*Disclaimer: obviously if this My Gym place is nasty or has a history of treating children badly then I wouldn't. Common sense and all that.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers 
  • Options
    I think it is a cool marketing technique for both Olive Garden and the drop in care place they teamed up with. In TX, our local movie theater had a drop in care like they have at the gym. I never used it but I always think it is a cool way to get more people into a business since that is a major factor in parents going out (cost and ability to find a sitter). I would of course check out the place, but I don't think I have any real concerns with drop in care.

James Sawyer 12.3.10
    Leo Richard 9.20.12 

• Options
    I saw that too @holly_1007, but I did a ton of research before choosing my child's daycare and to this day she has only had family members and very close friends watch her besides that, so I can't imagine doing it.

@bobkat22 I totally get that!  We have been desperate before, but I just have a hard time with this initiative.  I understand why Olive Garden is doing it, but still just not sure.

• Options
    BobKat22 said:

I get so desperate for a night out and rarely have a mom who will watch DD, that I would almost consider it. One of our local movie theaters has a $5 daycare. On those desperate days, my mind has given it a decent thought.

Oh my word. If our movie theater had this I would totally use it!

The grocery store I worked at had a child care at the front of the store. It was awesome. I wish a store around here had that.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers 
  • Options
    I wouldn't mind doing it when DS is a little older and can play at someplace like My Gym more freely.  I think DD could just run around and play pretty independently but DS would need help climbing and doing activities and I'm not sure that, the way this is set up, there would be someone that could handle that.  I think when they are 3 and 4 though, I would do it, no problem.
  • Options
    hmp1 said:
    I saw that too @holly_1007, but I did a ton of research before choosing my child's daycare and to this day she has only had family members and very close friends watch her besides that, so I can't imagine doing it.

There is a huge difference in 50 hours a week, every week, and 2 hours once a month for a date.
    Agreed.....  I am also apparently overly protective of my daughter or something...  I don't know, it would be awesome to have a date night out with DH but I am too chicken to ask anyone but my mom to take care of DD.  

• Options
    E's school has a drop in play center attached. They have parents nights out where you pay and drop them off and whatnot. I guess it's different since we know the people who run it, but we would probably do it when he was older.

If he were five or so, I'd probably do it for breadsticks. Mmmm, Olive Garden breadsticks.

• Options
    hmp1 said:

There is a huge difference in 50 hours a week, every week, and 2 hours once a month for a date.
    Agreed.....  I am also apparently overly protective of my daughter or something...  I don't know, it would be awesome to have a date night out with DH but I am too chicken to ask anyone but my mom to take care of DD.  
    @willy_gert, when we've used non-family sitters, we have used a teacher from our daycare. Is that an option for you guys? I like that she has all background checks and clearances and the kids already know and like her.

As for Olive Garden, if the place was a safe, official center, I would be open to it. I would not be OK with some random person, not affiliated with a child facility, watching my kids.

• Options
    I think I would be slightly uncomfortable with an drop in daycare that isn't part of her normal caretaker. Especially until she can tell me if something happens.

"I will show you the kind of big sister I will be..."
  • Options
    I don't have a problem with the idea of it, but I agree with waiting until my children are older.  Infants and toddlers just require much more attention, and it sounds like the care center will be at capacity due to the promotion.  I worry more about sickness and older children running amok that I do about the care providers, whom I'd hope would be vetted.
  • Options
    I use the drop in at the gym all the time. I don't know the names of all the girls who work there but DD loves it. If the restaurant and the gym are in the same building/strip mall you can bet your ass I'd drop my kid off to have a nice night out. Honestly my biggest concern would be the bigger kids messing with DD not the staff (who all have background checks in my area).

This is coming from the lady who has been on her own since Sunday, has no local family, and been having a hell of a time finding a babysitter.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Not at this age but when my kids older and can communicate effectively(er), why not?

• Options
    danabsd said:

Not at this age but when my kids older and can communicate effectively(er), why not?

This is how I feel too, in a few years I think something like this would be fantastic!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    AKB090609 said:
    I use the drop in at the gym all the time. I don't know the names of all the girls who work there but DD loves it. If the restaurant and the gym are in the same building/strip mall you can bet your ass I'd drop my kid off to have a nice night out. Honestly my biggest concern would be the bigger kids messing with DD not the staff (who all have background checks in my area).

This is coming from the lady who has been on her own since Sunday, has no local family, and been having a hell of a time finding a babysitter.

We joined a gym with care and are using it the first time this weekend. I do like that DS1 can help look out for his little brother, so I think I may feel differently if it was just Aedan. We are lucky that we have so much family around to help us have date nights, if we didn't, this is a nice option.

Big Kid Jan 2010

Littlest Man Sept 2012

• Options
    Not even free babysitting could get me to eat at Olive Garden.

I would be fine with the idea in theory though, if the area was attached to the restaurant. If the My Gym is a good distance from the restaurant, I may be more hesitant.

The Wegmans supermarket by my Mom's house has a drop off play area & I wish they had that near me.

• Options
    JulesDianeJulesDiane member
    edited January 2014
    I would totally be in for that... When my kids are a bit older. I don't love Olive Garden, but a few hours with DH out of the house sounds pretty nice, and the kids would have fun too!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"