2nd Trimester

Nursing Bras

I'm at the point where most of my regular bras are no longer comfortable, and a friend recommended that I start buying nursing bras, not to waste my money on "maternity bras".  But I'm afraid to buy them now, if my boobs are just going to get bigger when my milk comes in.  Should I buy these bras a cup size bigger?  The band extenders aren't really helping because they put my bra straps too far down on my shoulders, and they fall down all the time.  It's a pain in the butt.  Any particular brand recommendations as well?  :) Thanks!

Re: Nursing Bras

• I'd buy a couple in your current size and a couple one size up. I prefer not to spend a lot of money on things that I'll only be wearing for a bit, so I got mine at Target. They weren't anything fabulous, but they worked. Zulily is a good place to check, too. (I'd also recommend getting at least one sports bra style for nighttime.) Also, if you're not really well endowed, nursing tanks are AWESOME, because then you don't have to worry about cup size at all.
  • Your bra size will change, certainly in cup size and possibly in band size, as your pregnancy progresses and after your milk comes in when you deliver.  It's pretty hard to know, right now, what size you'll be.

I'd suggest getting 2-3 bras that fit you well at the moment.  They don't need to be maternity bras and they don't need to be nursing bras, although if that's comfortable for you, great.  Hold off on the nursing bras until after your milk comes in.

I loved the bravado soft cup bras, and they do have lots of room for expansion, so if you're really focused on getting a bra that may also work for nursing, try these.  They're pricy, but they really did feel great through the second half of pregnancy and while I nursed LO.  They're very comfortable and accommodated a fair amount of size change:  https://www.amazon.com/Bravado-Body-Silk-Seamless-Nursing/dp/B000XV7ORI
  • Loading the player...
  • I don't think it's worth getting nursing bras yet either.  You can get inexpensive bras to hold you over for now and then once it's closer to time and what size you'll be you can get nursing bras.  Also, I know I bought up during my last pregnancy (normal bra) and now I'm back into that one, so I'm getting more use out of it.

Not to be a debby downer either, but I wouldn't want to "stock up" on nursing bras yet either because you may not be able to nurse for a multitude of reasons.  I'd only get a couple closer to time and once you know it will work out for you and baby, get a few more.
  • I'd get a couple non-wire soft cup bras for now (they irritate a bit less) and hold off on the nursing bras.

As far as when you're ready for nursing bras, with my first daughter, I had a couple Anita and a Goddess. Pricey, but I have a real hard size to fit, and they felt amazing, so it was worth every penny.
  • A few friends of mine told me to get nursing bras not maternity bras.

I went to the maternity store last week and was fitted and she told me what ones to try on.

I am an A and will be breast feeding. The lady even said get nursing bras not maternity ones.

They are a hit expensive so I was not able to buy one yet but I hope to next month.

Me (40) DH (42).......Married 7/1/11......TTC 12/2013.......BFP #1 12/30/12........EDD 9/8/13
    Spotting,clot 2/15/13 all ok......2/21/13 no heartbeat 11 w 4 d missed miscarriage........2/22/13 DnC :(
    BFP # 2 10.10.13...........EDD 6.19.14

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

• If you don't feel like spending a lot on new bras, and plan to wait until after your milk comes in to get nursing bras (which I'd highly recommend), you can always check out stores like Kohls who tend to have huge clearance sections. Target has good bras for cheap too.
  • I would buy a few bras to hold you over. I've already dug out my larger size bras from DS#1 so I'm getting more use out of them now. Your boobs will change to sizes unimaginable to you right now once your milk comes in. And even then you should wait until BFing is established and then get measured.

DS #1 born January 2010. DS #2 due June 2014.

• I went to destination maternity and tried on every bra there
    I ended up buying 2 pea in a pod nursing bras. They are heaven! So so comfortable! I don't fit in any of the ones I wore before becoming pregnant.

This is my first pregnancy- The store told me that I should come back in March/April (I'm due in May) to buy a bigger one for when I have the baby and my milk comes in

• Babies R Us has nursing bras on sale for $9. I bought two in my current size to get me through. I figure, even if I cant wear them long, they're comfortable and at $9, I don't know if I could find any cheaper.
  • FemShep said:

Your bra size will change, certainly in cup size and possibly in band size, as your pregnancy progresses and after your milk comes in when you deliver.  It's pretty hard to know, right now, what size you'll be.

I'd suggest getting 2-3 bras that fit you well at the moment.  They don't need to be maternity bras and they don't need to be nursing bras, although if that's comfortable for you, great.  Hold off on the nursing bras until after your milk comes in.

I loved the bravado soft cup bras, and they do have lots of room for expansion, so if you're really focused on getting a bra that may also work for nursing, try these.  They're pricy, but they really did feel great through the second half of pregnancy and while I nursed LO.  They're very comfortable and accommodated a fair amount of size change:  https://www.amazon.com/Bravado-Body-Silk-Seamless-Nursing/dp/B000XV7ORI
    These bras are AMAZING! I had one when I was nursing my dd and now at 20 wks everything was getting too tight. I went to the awesome maternity/nurse bra store and talked with the owner for a while. She definitely recommends these for the second half of pregnancy and for nursing so I grabbed a couple more. The Bravado body silk seamless will be your best friend - stretchy, room to grow and so comfortable. A little pricey but worth every penny in my experience!

Married 8.1.2010
    DD #1: Arrived 10.7.2011
    TTC #2 Since March 2013
    BFP 5.20.2013, EDD 1.26.2014, natural mc @ 5 wks 5.25.2013
    BFP 6.21.2013, EDD 3.14.2014, Twins - missed mc @ 7w6d, D&C 8.6.2013
    BFP 10.7.2013, EDD June 20 2014 - It's a GIRL!   

BabyFruit Ticker
  • My boobs definitely got bigger when my milk came in.  My normal bra size is 34b but when nursing is 34d.  (or at least, that's what it's been historically).  I'd maybe only buy 1 nursing bra prior to having baby and wait until the end of 3rd tri so you aren't too far off size-wise...and definitely go up at least 1 cup size from where you currently are to allow for milk.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker

imageimageimage

• What happens if my boobs are already an E?? I feel like all the inexpensive bras go up to a DD tops.
  • One cup size oh geez!  I'm already at a 38 D
  • enpowers said:
    What happens if my boobs are already an E?? I feel like all the inexpensive bras go up to a DD tops.
    I'm with you.  I'm normally a G and I'm already busting out of the H I bought.  The Bravado seems to go up high enough but it's really frustrating to see people buying bras for $9.  My regular bras are usually at least $90! 
    My sweet little munchkin! 
    8 lbs, 13 oz.  21" long

• I was an f cup when I started, now I'm in an H. I bought 2 new wacoal bras for $48 each at Nordstrom and I thought it was a steal, compared to what I usually pay for my size. If you don't mind going on a treasure hunt, Nordstrom rack has cheaper bras, but it's a challenge to find the right one. I'm worried about being able to find a large enough nursing bra at all.
    yes, my baby is a zombie.

Anniversary

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I bought one maternity bra to wear around the house, it doesn't have any pading so I won't be wearing it outside but it's sooo comfy. I can still wear my bras, they aren't the most comfortable thing in the world though and bought 2 regular bras just one size bigger which turned out to be unpadded too..reminds me that I have to go exchange them. I don't want to get nursing bras until the last month of my pregnancy so that they are as close as possible to my size when my milk comes in
    imageimage
    God Bless You my Little One
    Farida, our first child, born on the 19th of July 2014
    Farida, at 8 weeks
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"