March 2014 Moms

Nervous to have a huge baby

my first baby was only a day early and was 8lbs 2 oz. My second baby was 9 days early and weighted 9lbs 5 oz. With both i always measured 2 weeks ahead at every apt. This time I'm measuring 4 weeks ahead! Yikes!! I'm scared to have an 11 pounder! I really really hope I go early with this one on my own (Not too early where it's not safe, but 2 weeks early would be nice! 
Anyone else measuring huge? I passed glucose test with flying colors. Not sure why my babies get so big! I don't gain that much weight so it's all baby! 

Re: Nervous to have a huge baby

• I don't know who isn't.

I've been measuring 4 weeks ahead for the past month or so. And I am afraid that it's a huge baby. But I do not have GD, so either I'm just measuring big or I made a big baby. Doc isn't concerned, said we will do an ultrasound at 36 weeks.

Size =/= development, so I want LO to stay in there as long as he/she needs to. Baby will come out somehow, and I'm not going to stress out about it before I have to.
    baby boy: 3.19.2014
  • I have been measuring big the whole time as well (4 weeks ahead usually), it is very common for STMs+ to measure ahead, really weight does not have much to do with delivery, It does past a certain point, but If you gave birth to a 9+ pounder without much issue I am sure it will be fine.  I had my son at 39 weeks exactly and he was 9.8 DD was 8.1 at 39 and 3, I am prepping for a 9 pounder if he is bigger we will deal, if he is smaller even better. 

I just keep telling myself that I don't have any control over it and like Rockopera said the baby is going to come out some way LOL.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker image

• Loading the player...
  • Honestly I think that's a thought from all of us. I thought my first DS was gonna be giant- he was 5lbs 5oz. This time at 30 weeks the ultrasound tech measured this one at 4lbs4oz +-10oz. So now I have that same fear.
    Anyways I'm rambling- my point is we all feel that way but on the bright side my mom had me at 5lbs, next my brother was nearly 10lbs and she said he was easier to push out bc he was bigger :-)
  • Yes I am. OB told me LO is about 5.5-6 lbs as of now at 34 weeks. I am tall so he said I can handle a larger baby, but I have the biggest fear of tearing and OB said he will definitely be 8lbs or more. Hoping I naturally go a week or two early would be nice.

• My Dr explains it to me as a man who is 5'9" and a man who are 6'2" are both "normal." So if you are measuring a little bit off (small or large--he said 3 weeks either way for fundal height) your baby is "normal." That said, different family's have different sized babies. I thought 8+ pound babies were normal until I was a teenager & found out that babies come smaller than that (without being preemies.) all the kids in my family were ranging from 8-10.7 at birth. Now I've learned that my family makes big babies, but we're also big people. I'm the smallest of my adult family at 5'8" & a size 9 shoe.
    My sister delivers LARGE babies. 10.5 & 12.2 (lbs, oz) so it worries me a little. But when it comes down to it I'd rather have a healthy baby...even if she's 9+ pounds.
    BabyFetus Ticker

• Zriseon3Zriseon3 member
    edited January 2014
    My baby is measuring pretty big too. But I don't hold much stock in the measurements. My family has big babies. My great grandmother was 13 pounds. But I've gained 17 pounds this pregnancy so my weight gain has been right on track. But I still worry she'll be too big. My OB said she is big but not huge so I guess that's good?
  • As PPs said, I think it's a reasonable fear for all of us. I technically measure "normal" by fundal height but both my DDs were in the 50th percentile at the anatomy scan and this one was 75th so I'm a little extra nervous since neither of them were what I'd call small (DD1 was 8lb. 6oz. at 39w and DD2 was 7lb 13oz. at 38w). I'm more nervous about how big baby will be if I go full term I guess since I've never gone to 40w and this one seems bigger. 
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • I'm measuring 3 weeks ahead with my first and don't have GD either (they still are questioning it even tho I passed the 3 hour with great numbers they said). I was a big baby myself tho at 10lbs 1oz and my mom didn't have GD either. Some people just have big babies...

TTC #1 Since 7/2011

Me: 30, PCOS with anovulation
    DH: 38, Low Morph & DE
    Rx: Metformin 500mg

Cycle #1: Clomid 100mg + Ovidrel = No Response, Canceled
    Cycle #2: Clomid 150mg + Ovidrel = No Response, Canceled
    Cycle #3: Clomid 150mg + Follistim + Ovidrel = No response, Canceled

Cycle #4: Femara 7.5mg + Gonal-f + Ovidrel + IUI = BFP!!!!

~ EDD 03.26.14 ~

• My baby is measuring 8 lbs 15 oz at 35 weeks and three days. Eek!
  • Yesterday at my appointment I measured 34 weeks (and was 34 weeks 2 days), so I think I'm right on track. She also felt my little angel and told me she's about 3 and 1/2 pounds right now. I'm not sure how accurate it is when they feel....she said she was pretty confident because "I have nothing extra in my belly except baby" according to her.  I am concerned about having a big baby simply because my MIL told me all the men in their family have given their wives huge babies.  So I told my midwife that and she practically laughed in my face. She told me that men don't "give their wives big babies".  My mom had 8 kids and we were all small. So I'm at least hoping for a balance. And if my little angel truly is right around 3 and 1/2 pounds, I figure she will be around 7 when born. That would be wonderful lol
    imageimage

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
  • Yes I am. OB told me LO is about 5.5-6 lbs as of now at 34 weeks. I am tall so he said I can handle a larger baby, but I have the biggest fear of tearing and OB said he will definitely be 8lbs or more. Hoping I naturally go a week or two early would be nice.

DS was 8lb 2oz and I had no tearing at all. I'm pretty sure the tearing etc can be due to how quickly the baby is pushed out and whether or not the perineum is given the chance to stretch? Just trying to calm it fears!
  • I measured on track with DD and she was 8lbs 6oz.   With this one I am starting to measure big but we will know more at 36 weeks at my next growth scan. 
    imageimageimage
    BabyFruit Ticker

Anniversary
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"