November 2013 Moms

Scaley looking skin

Hi,

So  my sons arms have this really dry almost scaley looking skin. We have been putting lotion on it in the morning and night, but it does not seem to be clearing up. Our pedi recommended to put hydrocortizone on it to see if it clears up, so we are waiting to see what happens.

Has anyone else dealt with this with their LO? If so, how long did it take to go away?
Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

imageimageimage

Re: Scaley looking skin

• How long does it take to kick in?

imageimageimage
  • What lotion do you use?

Get one that is thicker and apply it as often as possible. Even every diaper change.

I use Burt's bees, aveno, or eucerin.

How often do you bath the LO? Make sure the water isn't too hot, and try switching the baby wash. It could be drying the skin.
  • Loading the player...
  • sarenu1 said:
    What lotion do you use? Get one that is thicker and apply it as often as possible. Even every diaper change. I use Burt's bees, aveno, or eucerin. How often do you bath the LO? Make sure the water isn't too hot, and try switching the baby wash. It could be drying the skin.

We use Aveeno and Burts Bees. He gets a bath about 3-4 times a week. We use aveeno shampoo and wash on his skin. Is there one you know of that is more moisturizing?

imageimageimage
  • TaviaBrad said:
    How long does it take to kick in?

The Eucerin cream takes a couple days with multiple applications before I notice a different, but the Vitamin E seems to works right away because it really soaks into the skin. I notice an improvement by the next day.

Ok. That's great!!! I will try it. Hopefully it clears up right away like it did for you.

imageimageimage
  • TaviaBrad said:

TaviaBrad said:

How long does it take to kick in?
    The Eucerin cream takes a couple days with multiple applications before I notice a different, but the Vitamin E seems to works right away because it really soaks into the skin. I notice an improvement by the next day.

Ok. That's great!!! I will try it. Hopefully it clears up right away like it did for you.

Start with this one.

Also, be careful when your LO starts to drool. It will cause the skin to dry out as well.
  • It's better to use plain Vaseline or coconut oil. All those lotions have alcohol in them, and will only dry it more. You can also try cerave in the tub. It helps to rebuild the skin. I've dealt with severe eczema in my four year old and all dermatologists will tell you those lotions are not a good option.
    IAmPregnant Ticker
  • My LO has eczema and we use a face product by Lush as a lotion and Mustela Stelatopia to wash him in. It's for eczema and dry skin in newborn babies and kids, really seems to help. At night we use a cool most humidifier as well!
  • I was starting to wonder if he may have eczema. I will start with the Vitamin E and if that doesn't work, I will try what you all have suggested!! I feel so bad for him. It doesn't seem to bother him, but it looks nasty.

imageimageimage
  • Lo has this.  We use Avenno and Mustela but they are freaking expensive.  Make sure you get a "cream" and not a "lotion".  The cream is thicker
    View Full Size Image  View Full Size Image
    My forever love  ( April Siggy Challenge) 
  • wedding06 said:
    @brittannie19 How often do you use the Vit E- daily or just for flare ups? I think DS has eczema. We are going to the dr tomorrow for confirmation. Basically I am putting aquaphor on his body and face two to three times a day and at night we are using baby oil on his crusty head. I feel like we have an option of him looking like a flake ball or a greasy fat man:(
    Same here.  There is a shampoo they make for cradle cap. Mustela foam shampoo.  You can get it at target.  We started using this and the baby oil at night and it cleared up in a week.  no more crusty head :)

View Full Size Image  View Full Size Image
    My forever love  ( April Siggy Challenge) 
  • I agree with PP that you might want to cut back on the baths a bit.  We used Cetaphil for our baby when she got dry and flaky; grapeseed oil can help too (and is great for baby massages).

Iris born Halloween 2013! 6 lbs, 1 oz, 18 inches long

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    March 24bimageimageimage
  • ranaverde said:
    I agree with PP that you might want to cut back on the baths a bit.  We used Cetaphil for our baby when she got dry and flaky; grapeseed oil can help too (and is great for baby massages).

I have never used grapeseed oil. Where can I find it?

imageimageimage
  • TaviaBrad said:

I have never used grapeseed oil. Where can I find it?

I think ours came from Whole Foods; you can also get it at places like Walgreens or order it from Amazon.  A little goes a pretty long way, so no need to buy a big bottle.

Iris born Halloween 2013! 6 lbs, 1 oz, 18 inches long

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    March 24bimageimageimage
  • Thanks for all of these suggestions!!!! I am sure they will help!

imageimageimage
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"