Stay at Home Moms
Options

Pondering going back to school... advice?

kelslyniekelslynie member
edited January 2014 in Stay at Home Moms
I'm dying to return to college and pursue a degree, but with two little ones I feel so overwhelmed by the thought.

any advice from those of you out there getting your degree? What worked for you - online college or finding a way to attend on-campus?
Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Re: Pondering going back to school... advice?

• Options
    I was in grad school when DS1 was born and ended up not going back because I didn't want to put him in child care full time. I tried for a while to just finish one independent study course with babysitters here and there and it did not work well. I never had enough time to get much done in a sitting. If you are taking a full load you will need full time or nearly full time childcare. My recommendation would be to sign up for one or two classes and see how you manage and go from there.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    letranger said:

I did my masters and UG before children. I have known people to obtain phd and masters during pregnancy and children but it is very hard and require full time child care.

It isn't cost affective to do one or two classes to be honest.

Not in the long term, but for the first semester it might make sense, just to see if it really is what she wants.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I'm heading back for my JD this coming August. My boys will be 6 and almost 4. I waited until they were a little older on purpose. One will be in school full time and the other 3 days a week. We also now live close to family for help, which I assume we will need a lot. I agree with the PPs about the full time childcare or help.
    I know the schedule will be rough , but it is important to me to go back to school. So, we will figure it out. If it is important to you, you will find a way to make it work. Good luck!!
  • Options
    I'm working on my master's right now.  I started last August when DS was about 8 months old, and I've never had childcare for him.  To be honest, it was a lot easier when he was a lot less mobile.  But, I do an entirely online program through a traditional university.  It's pretty much a work at your own pace but with firm deadlines for assignments (if that makes any sense).  

Online was a big adjustment from my UG (I did entirely in person), but I don't think I could do in-person classes now.  It's a lot easier for me to work at my own pace.  If my week is really hectic and bad, I can take notes on the powerpoint next week, as long as my assignments for the week get turned in on time.  I only take 2 classes a semester because, without childcare, it's all the workload I can handle and still do things I enjoy.  If we had childcare, I would definitely do 3.  I know it means it will take longer, but it's a trade I'm willing to make.  

I'm considering seeing if our regular date night sitter could do a day or two a week for 3-4 hours so I could go to the library by myself and actually accomplish an assignment without having to chase DS around the library.  (I'm getting a master's in library and info science, so for a reference class this semester, I have to make a lot of trips to the library to evaluate books and find really random information, so it would be nice if a 60-90 minute trip to the library didn't take three times longer).  DH helps as much as he can, but he goes to the field overnight for his job A LOT (basically the entirety of next month, ugh).  
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• Options
    I am returning to school in the spring. I am getting the state cert in early childhood education. I'm only planning to take 1 class per quarter. My first is an evening class from 6 to 9 on Monday and Wednesday. The classes are offered at different times each quarter and I'm plan to stick with evening classes and online for the ones available that way.

I'm super excited to get started! I was a legal assistant for 14 year, quit my job to SAH about 15 months ago. I'm really looking forward to a career change at some point when my kids are all in school. I'm hoping to get a job at the private school they'll attend. My oldest is in preschool there and will start kindergarten next year; my babies will be in their first year of preschool.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • Options
    letranger said:

I did my masters and UG before children. I have known people to obtain phd and masters during pregnancy and children but it is very hard and require full time child care.

It isn't cost affective to do one or two classes to be honest.

@letranger Why do you say it's not cost effective to only take one class at a time? Do students get some kind of discount for taking a full load? I plan to return to school in March and will only take one class per quarter. I didn't realize it might be cheaper to take more classes at once.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • Options
    kelslyniekelslynie member
    edited January 2014
    Undergrad. Either an associate's or a bachelor's in Early Childhood Education, starting at a great community college nearby. Starting out with just a couple classes sounds like a good idea. My sister-in-law had just graduated from a university with her bachelor's and she has 3 young boys. I believe she mostly took online courses and then had on-campus classes here and there...
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Do you have an idea of what you want to go back to school for? My concern would depend on my financial situation. Do you have extra money to do so...and the field is a lucrative enough/are jobs available in the field you wish to pursue? In other words, will it pay off in the long run? Now is the time we're trying to save for the kids' education. So I guess I would say it all depends!
  • Options
    I graduated with my Masters this December and have two daughters. ( i fiubd iut I was pregnant my furst semester in the program). I did in-class instead of online so I would be forced to focus and network. I did my homework on the weekends and after everyone went to bed. Some nights DH would take care of the girls while I did homework if an exam it major paper was due...

It took me two years but I feel so accomplished after completing it and don't regret it at all! As long as you are disciplined and have a support system, you will do well.
  • Options
    DS1 will be 3 next week and DS2 will be 8 months old next week as well and I am taking two classes this semester.  (Last semester it was 4 classes but I knew KNEW they would be a breeze so i didnt stress)  Anyways, I take two classes one class is online and the other is one day a week on campus and I put DS1 & DS2 in daycare that day.  

It can be overwhelming if your classes are hard ( I have anatomy this semester and I dunno how I will study for exams ugh but so far so good!) but take one class and see how it goes.  Try an online class at your local college or community college, they usually have assignments due the same day every week or every other week and quizzes/tests.  

Good Luck!! 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    You can totally do it! :) Some colleges do offer a discount if you take a full load (usually 12 credits for undergrad) but for me the discount is not worth it. I take 1 or 2 classes at a time and it will take me a long time to graduate but that gives me time to play lots with DD and to keep the house in order. I usually take 1 class on campus and have DH come home from work to watch DD and 1 class online. I am in the grad program so like pp said, my class is in the evening which works out well. I have only had to use minimal childcare, usually my mom or a good friend will watch her for a little at a time. Anyways good luck! You can do it!!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"