January 2014 Moms

My first pump and dump....

DH went for a beer with BIL and said he'd be gone 45 min to an hour... Flash forward to 2 hours later and I have a fussy baby and I haven't eaten. So he tells me to have a glass of wine he'll take the baby for her last feeding before bed. And put her to bed.
Wish us luck. Currently pumping right now. I had a late harvest Riesling and DH is upstairs giving his first bottle on his own, I hear a crying baby and have a feeling he'll get frustrated and hand her off anyway.
Anyone else start enjoying a beverage or two yet?
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: My first pump and dump....

• Yes I've had a glass of wine on my bday night and a beer last weekend but didn't pump and dump. U wouldn't have to pump and dump if u haven't had more than a glass. I think they say a drink or 2 won't hurt the baby.
    https://kellymom.com/bf/can-i-breastfeed/lifestyle/alcohol/
  • Loading the player...
  • See everything I read said no alcohol. I was trying to research if I could without pump and dumping and everything seemed to be like, avoid alcohol at all costs.
  • Hmm haven't dumped yet. Maybe will save now.
  • No doubt in my mind I'd save it.
    imageimage
    Baby Chugging born 12.28.13
    induction due to HELLP

• I cringe when a drop of that stuff drips on my shirt. Lol save it all!!!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • <-- another one that has a half glass of wine every night while nursing LO. My understanding is, if you can drive a car (alcohol level less than 0.08), you can breast feed.
  • If you are really nervous about drinking and nursing you can always get the strips that test your milk levels. I never used them with my first but a lot of my friends have.
  • I agree with all posters. My LC said I can enjoy a glass right after I feed LO. So that's what I have been doing!
  • I found an awesome article from La Leche League that basically said anyone who says women can't consume some alcohol while BFing is just trying to make our lives miserable: "Prohibiting alcohol is another way we make life unnecessarily restrictive for nursing mothers."  (https://www.llli.org/faq/alcohol.html)  It also says if you're good to drive, you're good to keep the milk.  (yay!)  :D

What the hell did moms do before the internet to fact check the stupid shit even so-called experts spew because they aren't educated??

imageimageimage
  • Oh lawd. I wouldn't make it through the next year if it weren't for a drink or two now and then. If you're tipsy, your milk is tipsy. So, I wait it out and pump when I'm good to drive again and bottle feed LO in the meantime. (FTR, I had to do that a couple times when I BF'd my first. Have not had to do that this time yet lol).
  • I cringed reading your original post! I follow the rules that if I'm okay to drive (which my tolerance is low right now, so maybe 2 glasses of wine ::sigh::), I'm okay to BF.
    January2014 Blog ** Admin to the January 2014 FB group!
  • I, too, have heard 1 glass is totally fine and either drink while feeding/pumping or right after so you're good to go next feeding!

I do have a question if anyone knows the answer - if you're drinking somewhat heavily (ok, getting drunk) would you pump and dump at that point to keep supply up by not missing a feeding?  I have no interest in doing so anytime soon but if I plan on BFing a year (which I do), I may want to before that time is up and not sure what I need to do!
    Our Baby Girl, Emma, changed our lives forever when she was born 12-19-13 <3
  • AmyG* said:

I, too, have heard 1 glass is totally fine and either drink while feeding/pumping or right after so you're good to go next feeding!

I do have a question if anyone knows the answer - if you're drinking somewhat heavily (ok, getting drunk) would you pump and dump at that point to keep supply up by not missing a feeding?  I have no interest in doing so anytime soon but if I plan on BFing a year (which I do), I may want to before that time is up and not sure what I need to do!

yes if you are getting drunk you would pump for missed feedings. but face it, if you are drunk you are probably not thinking of pumping, you are thinking of passing out! if you feel drunk when you wake up after passing out ;) pump and dump or pump and save the milk and mark it.  when baby is older you can mix slightly drunk millk with regular milk and give it--so like if you pump 3 oz and baby takes 12 oz at daycare when they are 6 mos you could mix it and send it.

the test strips are not very accurate.  I know moms who tested alchol and it came up ok to nurse, and who tested formula and breastmilk without alcohol and it came up too high of alcohol to nurse.

So really the milk that has already built up should be ok, it's only the milk stimulated by nursing that should be affected? Ie: go out and have a few glasses of wine at lunch with a friend, come home nap for a few hours and wake up ok there is no need to pump and dump?

• I remember bits and pieces of my nonsense during my c section but I do clearly remember them saying yes to wine without worrying about baby. "Just a glass or two not the whole bottle " lol I asked my hubs about it too and he said my doctors for sure said it
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"